Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
The real money in Atlanta is actually in the city of Atlanta, in zip code 30327, streets like Habersham, West Paces, Blackland, and others in that area. Johns Creek is typical American suburbia, chain restaurants and strip malls......nothing special. 30327 is Whole Foods,designer boutiques, and Pano and Pauls type restaurants, which one do you think has the "real money"?

LOL that you throw Whole Foods in there as if it is something exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,737 times
In addition, you really don't know what kind of money people have by the house they live in until you've scoured mortgage records. If I have 5 million in cash, I can borrow 15 million (provided I have income), but my net worth is a big fat negative number all of a sudden. But at least I'll have 16 bathrooms and 2 pools.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
LOL that you throw Whole Foods in there as if it is something exclusive.
It's not, but I was talking more about the kind of people than anything. Johns Creek is nothing special in my eyes, it looks like a bigger, denser version of Camp Creek. Oh wow, big shiny new houses in subdivisions that all look alike right down the street from strip malls full of big box stores. Yeah, you never see that anywhere else in Atlanta Not to mention but I would be willing to go out on a limb and say the Buckhead and North/North West parts of Atlanta proper have a higher per capita income than anything in Johns Creek or Alpharetta.

Last edited by oldschoolChevy; 11-12-2012 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
There may be a few nice homes in Lithonia, Cascade Heights, Camp Creek, Fairburn, and even Jonesboro, but in general the area skews towards non-affluent.

The major exception on the south side would be the Peachtree City / Newnan area. Peachtree City is the only rich area because of all the Delta pilots that live there, giving the area a lot of great amenities and vibe. Fairburn, Lithonia, and Stockbridge are average. Cascade Heights just feels like it has seen better days; it is not crime infested but there is little retail and almost no new construction in the neighborhood. Anything in Clayton county, such as Jonesboro, should be avoided. It seems like most of the wealthy areas on the south side are small subdivisions in a sea of poverty.

Most of Atlants's rich live on the north side. Buckhead, Brookhaven, Vinings, Sandy Springs, Peachtree Corners, and Johns Creek probably have the highest concentration of wealth in Atlanta. Dunwoody, Duluth. Roswell, Alpharetta, Smyrna, and Marietta are also quite affluent but do have some pockets of poverty as well.
"There maybe a few?"

Naw, try a lot.

And Newnan? You're joking right?

Guilford Forest, Regency Park and Danforth Dr off of Cascade alone have more nice houses than Newnan. Newnan is very Mableton-ish. A few nice pockets of houses here and there with very much "blah" areas in between.

And you also threw in a whole slew of areas that are not even considered the South Side, of the ones you mentioned only Jonesboro and Fairburn are on the Southside. Cascade and Camp Creek are SW Atlanta and Lithonia is East Metro Atlanta.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:30 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
Johns Creek is nothing special in my eyes, it looks like a bigger, denser version of Camp Creek
There are a couple of things wrong with this statement....

The most important thing is that this discussion is about where millionaires live, not which parts of town are unique or special. If we assume your statement is right (it's not), it's still fairly irrelevant...because a part of town is nothing special does not mean that it does not have a high concentration of millionaires.

If we accept what has been established here, that millionaires don't go buying garish houses because you don't become rich by throwing tons of money at a mortgage, then let us assume that millionaires also don't shop at designer boutiques and eat at foo foo restaurants. Anybody with a steady job and a credit card can do those things, so having those businesses nearby doesn't necessarily mean many millionaires are nearby. It just means this is a trendy part of town where people who like to spend money come.

Quote:
chain restaurants and strip malls
I would describe the West Paces Ferry Road exit on I-75 exactly the same way. Oh wait....

Fact is, Atlanta is chain restaurants and strip malls. Alpharetta, Jonesboro, and Buckhead. If you're going to judge a place because it has an Outback and a Kroger, then I guess we don't have any nice areas.

But if you want to judge an area as being nice because there is a Whole Foods, then let's steer your attention to State Bridge Road, which has a larger and nicer Whole Foods than the one on West Paces.

I haven't seen the data on where the most millionaires in Atlanta live, but I don know one thing: if it's the areas that you mention, it's despite your criteria and not because of it.

If I were going to take a stab at it, I would say that Johns Creek/Alpharetta probably has the highest concentration of millionaires. I would say that the Buckhead area probably has the highest number of people who are multi-millionaires and have ridiculous sums of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta