Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 09:48 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,228,128 times

Advertisements

"In the early 2000s, a young researcher at the Centers for Disease Control named Greg Millett set out to solve an epidemiological mystery. Nobody could explain why black Americans, particularly black gay men, had such high rates of HIV infection compared to the rest of the population. How were they putting themselves in so much danger? What were they doing differently from everyone else?

Mickyel Bradford was raised to appreciate that black is beautiful. His celebrity crushes are Idris Elba and Tyson Beckford, tall dark men. He lives in a suburb of Atlanta, the city known to some as the black gay mecca..."

Full Story: The black HIV epidemic: A public health mystery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,152,970 times
This is very eye opening and disturbing. Wow. I am hopeful that the researchers will continue to uncover this mystery.

ETA: One thing that was not clear to me after reading the article was how quickly, with these rapid tests, you could really get an accurate result. The article seems to imply that you could know right away (e.g., same day) and that this should be the standard for checking to see someone's status but when I looked up the swab test, it indicated false negatives and false positives are possible and if you get a negative result but have had high-risk events, you should be re-tested in a month or two or three something like that. I guess my thinking is that, if African-American gay male population is having sex roughly twice a month and the rates are at 43%, wouldn't everyone basically be in the category of having had high-risk events if they are having sex, and therefore want to be tested again and then for the next couple of months before deciding someone is safe? That might be too much to ask in today's society but just tossing out ideas and questions. I note that the guy who was the subject of the article indicated he was on pins and needles for three months after the condom break and thus wondering if false negatives could be a contributing factor given the community profile within places like Atlanta. Random thoughts. I sure hope the doctors are able to grab hold of this situation.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 08-04-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,792,177 times
http://m.northwestgeorgianews.com/mo...646edc9b6.html

Http://www.northfulton.com/Articles-...o-suburbs.html

I wonder when will they investigate all the white people dying over heroin overdoses and Oxycontin in the northern suburbs

Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,794,262 times
"Sullivan’s preliminary results in Atlanta confirmed the huge racial differences that persist. Among black gay men, 43 percent were HIV positive, compared to 13 percent of white gay men, even though the black gay men had fewer sex partners and less unprotected sex. Everyone also reported a tendency to date within the same race."

--I wonder if the study considered that, maybe, the gay black guys were more likely than the white guys to be dishonest about their number of encounters and their safe sex practices? How are they going to actually conclude that black gay men, are more likely than white gay men to have safe sex on a regular basis?? The statistics are pretty clear; that the gay white male community is practicing safe sex more often than their black counterparts, and the blacks studied, as well as the people collecting the data didn't want to admit it.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,387,182 times
Interesting article. I didn't know that higher viral load = more contagious.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:57 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,690,766 times
How about segregating this population (LGBT). Let them live amoungst themselves. And outlawing down low or switching bat behavior.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:09 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,387,182 times
It would be awesome if folks actually read the article, as opposed to spouting off on their own thoughts.

One of the apparent problems with the high rates, is just that....segregation.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:42 PM

994 posts, read 1,543,395 times
An estimated 43 percent HIV+ rate among Atlanta's black gay men is a staggering statistic! I also cannot dismiss how casually people - gay and straight alike - treat sex; the "hookup" culture of having sex on demand, practically upon meeting, or adhering to some ridiculous regimented standard (e.g. after X-number of dates) is insane.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:26 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,152,970 times
I agree. It's a little bit of a double whammy when you think of the fact that gay males are inherently two men...and many men, straight and gay, are quite open with the idea of having sex very quickly...whether with women (in heterosexual cases) or with men (in homosexual cases). Put two men together and you got all the unadulterated sex drive amplified, I guess. That's tough. Maybe a push for gay marriage would slow some of the hookup culture down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
An estimated 43 percent HIV+ rate among Atlanta's black gay men is a staggering statistic! I also cannot dismiss how casually people - gay and straight alike - treat sex; the "hookup" culture of having sex on demand, practically upon meeting, or adhering to some ridiculous regimented standard (e.g. after X-number of dates) is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta