Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:08 PM

254 posts, read 369,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
That's a pretty expansive definition of sprawl. That area is about a mile from Peachtreee Rd. So, you would say that Georgia Tech is sprawl? I think your definition would make Morningside and Virginia Highlands sprawl, too.
In my mind it has a lot to do with block and lot size. Georgia Tech is a bit different because it doesn't have many roads, but there are a lot of pedestrian paths, so the block size is vague there. Vahi and Morningside have much smaller lots and blocks than the blocks on West Paces, while East Paces are a bit more comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:12 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
I don't think sprawl is a "yes" or "no", it is a sliding scale. Some sprawl is worse than others.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:15 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Nothing is free. If people want to live in the suburbs great, but don't force people to live there to save money by taking advantage of tax-payer provided subsidies.
Last time I checked, the interstate system in Georgia all zoned in on the center of Atlanta. Three major interstates converge on the hub, the city of Atlanta. They don't find their confluence in the suburbs do they?

This network brings workers, products and visitors all to the city center. If this were a subsidy, who is benefitting the most from it?

Old 09-05-2014, 12:23 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
I think Chattanooga is decades away from needing this. It's the biggest city near me, and I almost never have traffic issues when driving to or through. Pipe dreams methinks.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Last time I checked, the interstate system in Georgia all zoned in on the center of Atlanta. Three major interstates converge on the hub, the city of Atlanta. They don't find their confluence in the suburbs do they?

This network brings workers, products and visitors all to the city center. If this were a subsidy, who is benefitting the most from it?
Yes they do all connect into the center of the city and I wish they never did. As a city resident I almost exclusively take surface streets. The suburbs benefited from those highways at the expense of the city center. After they were built the city saw a huge drop off over the following decades as businesses and residents used those freeways to leave the city center for the suburbs. That land was heavily used and would have been too valuable for the highways to be built except by government over reach. Most major cities with more vibrant city centers have much less or no highways that cut apart the core.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:05 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Yes they do all connect into the center of the city and I wish they never did. As a city resident I almost exclusively take surface streets. The suburbs benefited from those highways at the expense of the city center. After they were built the city saw a huge drop off over the following decades as businesses and residents used those freeways to leave the city center for the suburbs. That land was heavily used and would have been too valuable for the highways to be built except by government over reach. Most major cities with more vibrant city centers have much less or no highways that cut apart the core.
What examples would you use for "most"? Chicago has freeways in the core. San Francisco did until the last earthquake.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
What examples would you use for "most"? Chicago has freeways in the core. San Francisco did until the last earthquake.
Manhattan (only the edges), San Fran (as you said), London, Paris, Amsterdam... And Chicago does have I-90 on the edge but has none east of the Chicago River or inside "the loop" in downtown.

How many major metros with a vibrate core can you name that have a comparable number of highways in the core as Atlanta?

Last edited by jsvh; 09-05-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 09-05-2014, 01:20 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Manhattan (only the edges), San Fran (as you said), London, Paris, Amsterdam... And Chicago does have I-90 on the edge but has none east of the Chicago River or inside "the loop" in downtown.

How many major metros with a vibrate core can you name that have a comparable number of highways in the core as Atlanta?
Seattle, Portland, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:02 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
To add to cqholt's post, Oslo, Norway also has a freeway (E18) that goes through the core. The difference is that it is tunneled through the urban core, much like Boston's I-93 post-Big Dig. Also, some cities in Australia, such as Sydney, also have freeways that travel through the urban core.

- skbl17

Old 09-05-2014, 02:10 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
To add to cqholt's post, Oslo, Norway also has a freeway (E18) that goes through the core. The difference is that it is tunneled through the urban core, much like Boston's I-93 post-Big Dig. Also, some cities in Australia, such as Sydney, also have freeways that travel through the urban core.

- skbl17
Sydney is built on a huge sandstone deposit, making tunneling easy and the tunnels very strong. Atlanta's core is built on a granite deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta