Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:42 PM

8,487 posts, read 15,019,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What is "historic" about this place??? Yeah, it's old. But so are a lot of places. Old does not historic make. Besides, it's dilapidated and architecturally insignificant.
Well, it was one of the few buildings to survive the Great Fire of 1917. That's something.

Potential adaptive reuse project squandered in Atlanta: Historic Trio Building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:50 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,312,538 times
Quote:
What is "historic" about this place??? Yeah, it's old. But so are a lot of places. Old does not historic make. Besides, it's dilapidated and architecturally insignificant.
Can you define what you mean by "architecturally insignificant'?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:57 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,407,750 times
JPD - You caught me. I suppose I should have said, "In my non-architectually trained mind and based solely on my uninformed opinion, that building is dilapidated and architecturally insignificant, and because I have to qualify my post in this way, I think its dog gone butt ugly, too!"

Old 08-27-2014, 01:13 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,790,423 times
During a time that no one could get a loan to buy anything, someone in the city authorized buying a building that it had no use for, so someone could receive a short-term 400% profit--and the controversy is over the architectural merit of the building? ...really?

Old 08-27-2014, 01:29 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
During a time that no one could get a loan to buy anything, someone in the city authorized buying a building that it had no use for, so someone could receive a short-term 400% profit--and the controversy is over the architectural merit of the building? ...really?
They are two completely separate issues. The history and architecture of the building has nothing to do with the scam sale. The scam obviously needs to be looked into and answered for, but that shouldn't mean we can't discuss the historic preservation aspect of this story.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 PM
JPD

Quote:
JPD - You caught me. I suppose I should have said, "In my non-architectually trained mind and based solely on my uninformed opinion, that building is dilapidated and architecturally insignificant, and because I have to qualify my post in this way, I think its dog gone butt ugly, too!"
It's my opinion that a building like this won't be built again, and for that reason alone it is architecturally significant and historic.

I happen to think buildings like The Leonard that is going up on Memorial are very ugly, but that style is taking over this city, and will most likely be built on this building's lot if this buuilding is torn down.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:20 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,888,552 times
Just realize that stricter Atlanta becomes with preventing new developments the higher housing costs will go.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:47 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Just realize that stricter Atlanta becomes with preventing new developments the higher housing costs will go.
I've seen exactly zero evidence that the city has any desire whatsoever to prevent new developments.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 PM

54 posts, read 65,631 times
Quote:
My problem is that destroying an historic building in an historic neighborhood and replacing it with either a parking lot or some god awful modern building is just a ridiculous idea.

Sure, it's not some icon and architecturally it's nothing to fawn over, but the place has character that directly meshes with the neighborhood around it. Shouldn't we try to preserve that? There are plenty of old buildings being torn down and replaced with gaudy **** all over this city. At least let one historic neighborhood keep its timelessness--or however much it still has left.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 PM

524 posts, read 522,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Sort of wonder who made 600K on a 150K investment in 3 years in a down market...
Apparently it was this guy --> Gregory Evans
He is known as a major con artist in Atlanta. If the city is mixed up with him, this city has a major problem on its hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: