Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:26 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,896,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I've seen exactly zero evidence that the city has any desire whatsoever to prevent new developments.
Not saying some historic structure shouldn't be saved, but realize that there is a cost when you do it. You can no longer use that land to build something else so each building you save raises prices slightly in an area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 PM

23,512 posts, read 44,193,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Everything about it seems pretty weird:
It was bought for 150K in 2006 (when the market was up), then the city bought it for 750K in 2009 (when the market was down) then it is scheduled for demolition without review or notice. Sort of wonder who made 600K on a 150K investment in 3 years in a down market...
'Sort of'? Someone needs to unleash the hounds.
I really don't get the interest in this building, otherwise.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,915,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Just realize that stricter Atlanta becomes with preventing new developments the higher housing costs will go.
The city has become stricter and requires developers to do more, to offset costs that the city or other residents would have to take on. Its a good thing for the residents. If a developer wants to build in the city, then the city is going to hold them to a higher level.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,321,462 times
Quote:
Not saying some historic structure shouldn't be saved, but realize that there is a cost when you do it. You can no longer use that land to build something else so each building you save raises prices slightly in an area.
Not really. If this building is saved, and is rehabbed and put to use, it will increases the supply of available square footage in the area. Increasing supply doesn't make prices go up.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:50 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,793,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
'Sort of'? Someone needs to unleash the hounds.
I really don't get the interest in this building, otherwise.
So, how does a purchase like this get approved?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:57 PM

23,512 posts, read 44,193,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
So, how does a purchase like this get approved?
Damned if I know. I sure would like to.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:34 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,896,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Not really. If this building is saved, and is rehabbed and put to use, it will increases the supply of available square footage in the area. Increasing supply doesn't make prices go up.
But it is often cheaper to build new than rehab an old space. Especially if it is different use like going from commercial to residential. Also new building can be more sq ft than historic buildings.

Again, I think this is fine and support saving some buildings. But this is just a note that if Atlanta goes too gun-ho with historical rules we could lose our low cost of housing.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,321,462 times
Quote:
But it is often cheaper to build new than rehab an old space. Especially if it is different use like going from commercial to residential. Also new building can be more sq ft than historic buildings.

Again, I think this is fine and support saving some buildings. But this is just a note that if Atlanta goes too gun-ho with historical rules we could lose our low cost of housing.
Don't worry. Atlanta is most definitely not going too gung ho with historic preservation rules.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:12 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,869,761 times
I would save it, Ansley, although the cost should NOT be borne by the taxpayers.

Although it's not a grand structure, the building is a good example of industrial buildings in Atlanta in the early 1900s. The area around Edgewood was once a bustling industrial zone and by 1911 it was getting pretty built up.

If refurbished, buildings like this could contribute to remaking this into an interesting district of restaurants and shops. We've already plopped $100+ million into this streetcar project so I say let's see how it goes.

I would emphasize again that the money for such things should come from the private sector, NOT the public treasury.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:24 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,710,894 times
Good research there with supplying us the map Arjay & I concur w/ your opinion on the matter.
The building is a part of the disappearing old bones of bygone Atlanta.
Unfortunately, we have a history of reducing too many structures to rubble only to be replaced by a surface parking lot or empty lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: