Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:51 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,792,557 times

Advertisements

Save The Old Atlanta Prison Farm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 02:33 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,894,331 times
Atlanta's Largest Green Space Isn't Where You Think It Is - Preservation Watch - Curbed Atlanta

Quote:
Larger than Piedmont Park, Grant Park and Oakland Cemetery combined, the Old Atlanta Prison Farm is more than 300 acres of green space and lakes on Key Road, about a mile from the Starlight Six Drive-In. So why aren't we all picnicking over there during this long weekend? In short, because it isn't safe. It's littered with debris that has been illegally dumped over the years, with collapsing buildings, graffiti, kudzu, hidden holes and a smattering of asbestos and other nasty toxins. When the roof of one building caught fire in 2009, firefighters allowed it to burn itself out rather than risking lives to save the building. The area is anything but unsalvageable though. It just needs a helping hand. Fortunately, a Save the Old Atlanta Prison Farm movement is working on convincing the city, which owns the land, to turn it into a multi-use public green space.

Nearby Doll's Head Trail at Constitution Lakes has been described as "part wildlife refuge, part hiking trail, part snake pit and part art exhibit" because of the path of found-object art created using trash from the park. If anything, that bizarre exercise in public art proves that the land wouldn't have to be pristine for people to enjoy it and that the whole area could be transformed into a wonderland of hiking and ruin exploration.

Originally a 700-bed minimum security prison opened in 1920, the prison "honor" farm allowed trustworthy inmates to tend crops and livestock to feed themselves and inmates at the main prison — an experiment in rehabilitative incarceration. At the time, the institution stretched all the way to Panthersville Road to the east and took up 1,248 acres. Before the corrective facility was closed in 1983, inmates had built a sawmill, quarry, barracks, dairy barns, retaining walls, wells and other structures still (barely) standing today. AtlantaPrisonFarm.com has a detailed and fascinating history of the place and this video provides more details:

Old 08-28-2014, 02:36 PM

While it is near the the boundary, this is outside the city limits. So I don't think contacting City of Atlanta elected officials, as their campaign includes, about this will do any good.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:45 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,248,743 times
I'd rather no one talk about it so I can enjoy the best "park" in Atlanta without the crowds.

oh no, I'm talking about it...

That campaign is nothing new BTW.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 PM

8,488 posts, read 15,025,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
While it is near the the boundary, this is outside the city limits. So I don't think contacting City of Atlanta elected officials, as their campaign includes, about this will do any good.
While true, the land is owned by the City of Atlanta. They can do with it as they please.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:30 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,415,321 times
I never knew about this place. Wow. Seems to hold such great potential.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While true, the land is owned by the City of Atlanta. They can do with it as they please.
Is it? I missed that.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:14 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,415,321 times
Quote:
Is it? I missed that.
Jsvh - While way off topic there is a good oped on page A10 of today's AJC promoting user fees for highway funding. Thought you'd appreciate it.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:51 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,861,282 times
Quote:
Maybe supporters should take it up with DeKalb. DeKalb bought the tract just south of there and turned it into Constitution Lakes park. That's a 200 acre nature preserve with a very nice multi-use trail.

Unfortunately the state of Georgia has the Metro Transitional Center right in between them and they probably aren't going anywhere.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 AM

446 posts, read 679,333 times
that's the conley area I think its few warehouses and other small industrial stuff over there. if it going to be saved or converted it would probably be something that goes along with the other business over there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: