Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,415 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I want to drive to the West (Sacramento, CA) beginning 11/01/14 to fulfill a life long wish I have always had to do so. I have no time restrictions but I intend to be back in Atl by 11/20/14. Are there any suggestions on the best routes to take, where to stop for the most scenic enjoyment, best roadside eateries, must see places, best B&B, just basically how to make this a memorable trip?Also how much am I looking at in terms of gas and tolls? Thanks!

Last edited by inomad2008; 10-21-2014 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 02:00 PM

179 posts, read 298,890 times
Ever used Google maps?

Gas? Calculate it using the current gas price, miles per gallon, and miles to Sacramento.
Tolls? Google maps.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:59 PM

668 posts, read 994,485 times
We took a similar trip a number of years ago but started and ended in Chicago. My advice would be to get in as many states as you can, as you can really start to see the subtle differences at the state border. Maybe start out by making your way north to Louisville, from there, head west to St. Louis where you can pick up some of the remants of the old Route 66, parts of which still have some old roadside attractions and sites and will put you through Missouri, Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle. Once you hit the border with New Mexico make your way southwest to hit Roswell to get your UFO pictures in. From Roswell make your way west to Tucson, and then from there head further west to hit San Diego for a day or two. Then, make your way up the California coast via Route 1 for the amazing coastline views and hit Santa Barbara, Malibu, and Santa Cruz along the way. Stay in San Fancisco for a day or two, then head up to Sacramento. Take I-80 on the way back which takes you through Reno, the Salt Flats in Utah, Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, Omaha, etc. Take i-80 all the way to Chicago for a day or two, and then head back south to Atlanta. I'm not sure what the costs are these days, but we did it with just a road atlas so with the internet nowadays you can probably plot out better places to stay. These were also the days when a room at Motel 6 still only cost $25/night, so that will be more expensive. We tried bringing a test to save on hotel costs but usually ended up spending as much on campground costs. You should be able to do it without hitting any tolls. Good luck!

Last edited by Nast; 10-21-2014 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: minor additions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta