Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:32 AM

145 posts, read 166,133 times

Advertisements

I'm a relatively new Cobb county resident, so my knowledge is low on this topic. However, I only see BRT trying to alleviate the need to get midtown/downtown residents into and back from Cobb via 41/75 HOV, likely spurred on by the Braves opening in 2017. It appears this solution would on paper help address the upcoming traffic concerns when the first pitch would coincide with near peak commuter traffic patterns.

As a commuter to Buckhead, I fail to see how this would help cobb county residents. Right now my commute from west of smyrna to the office takes 45 minutes on average. Would it not take me longer to take CCT to the closest BRT station to midtown to MARTA to Buckhead? Unless you live in walking distance of the 41 corridor, how does this help Cobb traffic concerns?

If I'm being asked to pay for this platform, I would like to actually benefit. If this helps mainly non-cobbers or the businesses on 41, then let those folks support the cost.

As an aside, I noticed that my town of Smyrna has a railroad track that already connects kennesaw, Marietta, smyrna and appears to intersect MARTA near Lindbergh. Not a rxr expert, but it would be more palatable to drive 5 minutes to downtown Smyrna, ride rail to MARTA at Lindbergh then to my office. Use Existing CCT to bus folks to 41 from these locations. Now I can ride to 41/Braves and work and keep my car in the 3 mile radius of my house, and off the highways, likely for similar cost and time.

What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 07:01 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Nope.

You are still wrong there buddy.

Do the math and tell me the COA paid a majority of the costs...

I'll wait while you find a calculator
The funds covered streetscaping and other improvements that are not involved with the streetcar. Also, some of the cost overruns had to do with utility relocation and that part of town has been inhabited for over 100 years so there is a mess of utilities under the road.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The funds covered streetscaping and other improvements that are not involved with the streetcar. Also, some of the cost overruns had to do with utility relocation and that part of town has been inhabited for over 100 years so there is a mess of utilities under the road.
I disagree. Those improvements came about as a direct result of the streetcar. Without the streetcar infrastructure going in, there would be no need for digging up the utilities. This is not a 2-birds-1-stone scenario.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
This is not about the streetcar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does that have to be brought up in EVERY discussion about mass transit??????? Geesh people, get over it!!!!!!!! And if not, stop hijacking threads!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is not about the streetcar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does that have to be brought up in EVERY discussion about mass transit??????? Geesh people, get over it!!!!!!!! And if not, stop hijacking threads!!!!!!!!!!!
Have to agree with you on that. Our topics have been derailed more times in the last two years than MARTA trains have derailed since 1979.

Topics used to derail any Atlanta discussion, regardless of topic:

1) Houston (see all economy and jobs threads).

2) Atlanta Streetcar (see all transportation threads).

3) Braves stadium (see all threads about Cobb County or Atlanta sports).

- skbl17

Old 10-31-2014, 11:00 AM

#blamejamies

Old 10-31-2014, 03:10 PM

348 posts, read 434,557 times
Here what I don't like about it. One, it seems Cobb commissioners already know it's going to fail or they would have voted on it now (Nov 4) with the current SPLOST. Two, for the most part I know the overall plan is to go from KSU to Midtown but I still seem to read stuff about only going from Cumberland to KSU. It seems like Cobb wants to be its own big city and try to do so many things separate from the rest of the area. They are like an urban Fayette county. Three, Cobb Pkwy and I-75 are the busiest roads and most are using them to come into the city so this would be the logical route of any high capacity transit option. Most people aren't going to vote yes because it's not going to be a one stop trip to where THEY want to go. I wish we could get MARTA rail to Cumberland, since that really is the only real dense area in the county and let them figure out the rest. Most people in Cobb don't want MARTA so let them suffer. Those who do can get to Cumberland and have a way into the core. Plus people don't have to worry about MARTA all over the county. I know that's selfish but it would be a start. They will get is when traffic gets worse while areas that have real transit get better.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:53 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
$100M will barely put a dent in the cost of BRT in the corridor.
That'd be full county match for state and federal funds.

All you guys making passionate discussions about how it would/wouldn't help traffic congestion and help commuters... It is irrelevant

Short-term, beyond getting people to-from Braves games, this is purely economic development. It'll grow Cumberland and link up two major employment centers in Cobb and fill in-between with highrise, midrise, and transit-oriented development. It'll also link these major employment centers with midtown and ultimately the airport. It'll increase residential home values in immediate surrounding area. With the NW metro being a significant part of the GA GDP, and even federal GDP, in an area that has long been atrophied and just starting to perk up then the investment in it makes perfect sense at all levels.

Politicians don't want to say "economic development" because the tea partiers go psychotic in fighting that - saying it doesn't help them. I think the morons in politics could get a lot of miles by talking about how much each 20-story office building in Cumberland saves them in school and property taxes. They don't want to say it'll raise peoples' home values within a few miles of the BRT because for every person happy about that, you get tax whiners complaining about their property taxes going up. But they are big pansies following some script.

As far as relieving traffic congestion, economic growth tends to make more congestion and traffic. So again, this is mostly an economic development tool.

Long-term, it'll encourage smart growth, nodal development, connectivity, and act as a backbone for transit. For anything but the smart growth aspect along the BRT line in Cobb Pkwy and midtown, a lot has to fall into place throughout the metro for real connectivity to occur. This is just one piece of the puzzle.

Last edited by netdragon; 11-01-2014 at 12:07 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 02:49 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with Cobb doing BRT. You get a lot of bang for your buck.
Article discussing light rail vs. BRT agrees with you. Specific discussion is LA, but the points are all still relevant. Its faster, cheaper, more flexible and may even have more capacity.

Because Exclusive Bus Lanes Aren’t Expensive Enough | The Antiplanner

Old 11-03-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
That'd be full county match for state and federal funds.

All you guys making passionate discussions about how it would/wouldn't help traffic congestion and help commuters... It is irrelevant

Short-term, beyond getting people to-from Braves games, this is purely economic development. It'll grow Cumberland and link up two major employment centers in Cobb and fill in-between with highrise, midrise, and transit-oriented development. It'll also link these major employment centers with midtown and ultimately the airport. It'll increase residential home values in immediate surrounding area. With the NW metro being a significant part of the GA GDP, and even federal GDP, in an area that has long been atrophied and just starting to perk up then the investment in it makes perfect sense at all levels.

Politicians don't want to say "economic development" because the tea partiers go psychotic in fighting that - saying it doesn't help them. I think the morons in politics could get a lot of miles by talking about how much each 20-story office building in Cumberland saves them in school and property taxes. They don't want to say it'll raise peoples' home values within a few miles of the BRT because for every person happy about that, you get tax whiners complaining about their property taxes going up. But they are big pansies following some script.

As far as relieving traffic congestion, economic growth tends to make more congestion and traffic. So again, this is mostly an economic development tool.

Long-term, it'll encourage smart growth, nodal development, connectivity, and act as a backbone for transit. For anything but the smart growth aspect along the BRT line in Cobb Pkwy and midtown, a lot has to fall into place throughout the metro for real connectivity to occur. This is just one piece of the puzzle.
How can the state fund this, but not fund MARTA expansion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta