Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:13 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd be surprised if that happens at any significant level, bu2. It's conceivable that a would be burglar might scope out a neighborhood right next to a MARTA station. But why walk a mile (or two or three) away to case the houses when you can easily and safely do a drive by?

I've often heard the cops says that virtually all burglars use cars.
In our neighborhood, we've had a surge of people walking who didn't look like they belonged just before the last two surges of break-ins. Its a lot easier to scope a neighborhood on foot. In a car, you are way too obvious and with plates are easier to identify.

I just know I wouldn't live in a single family home less than a mile from a train station (high rise would be different). I do have friends who live close to the East Lake MARTA station and have lots of crime.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't normally more crime within a half mile or so of a station than in the adjacent areas further away. Even if they don't use the train for the crime, there's a familiarity factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 12:15 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Now that proximity discussion is different than the, "Don't bring MARTA to Cumberland Mall because it will increase crime in Kennesaw."

Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
In our neighborhood, we've had a surge of people walking who didn't look like they belonged just before the last two surges of break-ins. Its a lot easier to scope a neighborhood on foot. In a car, you are way too obvious and with plates are easier to identify.

I just know I wouldn't live in a single family home less than a mile from a train station (high rise would be different). I do have friends who live close to the East Lake MARTA station and have lots of crime.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't normally more crime within a half mile or so of a station than in the adjacent areas further away. Even if they don't use the train for the crime, there's a familiarity factor.
I hear you, bu2. If you've had it happen I can't argue with the facts.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:41 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I hear you, bu2. If you've had it happen I can't argue with the facts.
Anecdote does not equal fact. I am sure someone has scoped out an area on foot before. But the reality that bu2 says that he has noticed people on foot that do not belong further proves it is a bad way to commit crimes because it is more noticeable.

My neighborhood is somewhat walkable and transit connected. However, the crimes are done by people that drive in from outside the city. Even walkers are mugged by people that drive by and hop out of their car or someone that has a get away car waiting around the corner.

But neither of the Anecdotes disprove the reality of the cited studies that show that MARTA does not increase crime.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:00 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Exactly. Metro stations DO attract panhandling, among other things. But so what? The game's more than worth the candle.

No argument here, just acknowledging the reality of the situation. It helps alleviate one problem, traffic, while creating another, more petty crime and potentially more serious crimes. No one can really argue that crime does not occur on mass transit and when moved to areas with out it, crime goes up, not down. Period.

Still, people along the 400 corridor are hungry for it as its worth the risk. Folks in upper Gwinnett and Cobb??? Not-so-much.....

Old 12-15-2014, 01:09 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,251,068 times
Is anyone taking into account crimes commited in vehicles, reckless driving, duis and the like? Those can easily lead to vehicular homicide, a violent crime, and statistics show that you are more likely to be killed driving home from work than taking transit or walking.

The picture isn't complete without taking into account crimes committed in, and with, vehicles.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
No one can really argue that crime does not occur on mass transit and when moved to areas with out it, crime goes up, not down. Period.
Sure they can. There is no evidence transit brings any more crime than roads do. Just people justifying prejudice with anecdotes.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Is anyone taking into account crimes commited in vehicles, reckless driving, duis and the like? Those can easily lead to vehicular homicide, a violent crime, and statistics show that you are more likely to be killed driving home from work than taking transit or walking.

The picture isn't complete without taking into account crimes committed in, and with, vehicles.
Good point. You are more likely to die or be injured from a 30 mile commute than from crime in the city.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Sure they can. There is no evidence transit brings any more crime than roads do. Just people justifying prejudice with anecdotes.

Yeah, I guess you are right. I never realized how safe the Greyhound and Marta Stations were until you just mentioned it.....must be an anecdote......

Here's an anecdote for you.....

MARTA > MARTA Police > The Departments

Old 12-15-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

Some more anecdotes.....

MARTA murder victim was in school to be a cop; suspect told mom

Suspect in MARTA bus stop shooting charged in sex assaults - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Arrest Made in Case of Woman Killed at MARTA Bus Stop | Decatur-Avondale Estates, GA Patch

Decatur Metro » UPDATED: Decatur Police Issue Warrant in Karen Pearce Murder Case

Woman, 19, shot multiple times, killed in broad daylight at MARTA bus stop - Atlanta Crime | Examiner.com

Atlanta Teen Killed During New Year’s Peach Drop…

Police In Atlanta Make Arrest In Clairton Native

I guess there must be a problem because the Marta chief says it's getting bedduh....

MARTA chair says transit system "more and more safe" | PolitiFact Georgia

Rider records knife attack at MARTA station - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Anti-police murder march in Atlanta

Murders between Five Points and Garnett Marta Stations - MARTA

Argument leads to shooting at Kensington MARTA station - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Remember this? Ahhhhh....memory lane....

Stuff Black People Don't Like - SBPDL: 30+ "Teens" Attack people on MARTA in Atlanta: How not reporting 30 "Black Teens Attack" is the true evil

Cab driver took these nice folks from a Marta Station and got killed for his troubles....

Welcome to Fulton County District Attorney, Atlanta Judicial Circuit

Ahhhh, some more "unfortunate" incidents....

Marta station at 65 Joseph E. Lowery Blvd. in Atlanta a fight caught on video shows a stabbing

Police: 1 Person Hurt in MARTA Station Shooting - WSPA.com

This took 5 minutes.....now, go to SpotCrime and list the areas where the ITP stations are physically located....filter down to assaults and murders and robberies.....paints an interesting picture, doesn't it? No matter, I still ride MARTA.....armed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta