Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM

25 posts, read 22,151 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm planning on moving to the ATL area this year, and I'm considering buying a place. Here are the stats:

1. Budget - $250k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Home, Preferably a 2br bungalow, fully renovated w/a big backyard
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - WFH
4. Children(public school vs. private) - Single and No Kids, but I wouldn't mind an ok district for home value purposes
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Urban, with good walkability, good restaurants nearby, but hopefully fairly quiet
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Would be really nice to be close to MARTA
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood - I have a list of neighborhoods, but I'm open to suggestions:

1. Inman Park
2. Old Fourth Ward
3. Kirkwood
4. Candler Park
5. Grant Park

I also really like downtown Decatur, but I've never seen anything within walking distance that's anywhere near my price range.

I'm concerned about the lack of inventory I'm seeing possibly being an indicator that prices in those areas are inflated. I've seen houses that are essentially perfect, and that meet everything on my list, especially price, but they're in Edgewood, and what I've read about Edgewood isn't exactly encouraging. I want the home to be beautiful and comfortable, but I also want it to hold its value and I'd really like it to appreciate. Is that doable or has the ship already sailed on the areas that I'm interested in in terms of maintaining and appreciating value?

I already own a home in Philly, but I was young(er) and dumb(er) when I purchased it and ended up buying the best house on a not-so-nice block. I don't want to make the same mistake twice, so I'm trying to thoroughly research neighborhoods first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: