Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 10:04 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times

Advertisements

my family is looking to move intown and we are looking at washington park, directly next to the park. we headed over there last night and it seemed relatively safe. i have walked through the area during the day and felt safe. this seems unusual considering its proximity to 'the bluff' and simpson street, but with the beltline coming in, it seems like it may be a good idea. anyone here live in washington park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 03:17 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
my family is looking to move intown and we are looking at washington park, directly next to the park. we headed over there last night and it seemed relatively safe. i have walked through the area during the day and felt safe. this seems unusual considering its proximity to 'the bluff' and simpson street, but with the beltline coming in, it seems like it may be a good idea. anyone here live in washington park?
You may have walked through the area during the day, but have you visited the area at night?

It's an area that is on the rise over the long-term with lots of young professionals starting to move into the area, the construction of some newer housing taking place, the opening of the Walmart where the Publix grocery store used to be, the close promixity to the Ashby MARTA Station and the historic schools of the Atlanta University Center.

You are making a good assessment that the area has a lot of growth potential with the Beltline slated to be built through the area.

But the area still has some rough edges to it as crime is still a significant concern, despite crime not necessarily being anywhere near as bad as it used to be in years and decades past.

It's definitely an area that's made some great improvements and will continue to improve long-term but it's still definitely an area where one should stay alert and on guard when it comes to the safety of oneself, one's family and one's home and material items.

Like many improving areas in Intown Atlanta, it's still an area that is very urban in nature.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:19 AM

we drove over there at like 3 in the morning, got out and took a look at the house; it seemed very quiet.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Talk to the neighbors about the area.
There are things you can do to protect yourself and family. If you're looking at an investment, it could have a potential large return on investment. Schools are the next concern.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:10 AM

no, it wouldn't be an investment— we're not the "investment class" and don't have a lot of loose change to throw around. this would be a permanent move. i know it's going to require a degree of vigilance, just like moving intown anywhere else, but i'm just making sure this isn't a pit bull and security camera type of neighbourhood. that's why i was so surprised when i went through the neighbourhood; it's only a half mile from one of the worst hoods in the country and it looked nicer than a lot of other neighbourhoods in town.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:26 AM

280 posts, read 389,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
no, it wouldn't be an investment— we're not the "investment class" and don't have a lot of loose change to throw around. this would be a permanent move. i know it's going to require a degree of vigilance, just like moving intown anywhere else, but i'm just making sure this isn't a pit bull and security camera type of neighbourhood. that's why i was so surprised when i went through the neighbourhood; it's only a half mile from one of the worst hoods in the country and it looked nicer than a lot of other neighbourhoods in town.
It is a very safe area in the day. I use the PATH trail there for cycling and the pool and tennis areas in the Park are a big plus. The houses are mixed in the area. Some are older, small houses, some 50-60s ranch, and some newer development. I think close to the park and to the South is better than a few streets North.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Get an alarm system, don't leave anything in your cars, double sided dead bolts, motion lights. If you really want to be protected there is always security film on windows to prevent breaking and simple security cameras. The best thing is getting to know your neighbors.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:48 AM

253 posts, read 303,171 times
I live in near by Vine City, and the area isn't a war zone like they try to make you think, the worst thing about the area are the burnt down and unkept abandoned homes/buildings. Outside of that if you aren't involved in Crime, and live conservative (not too flashy), you`ll be fine. Just invest in an Alarm,Burgler Bars/Secruity Film, and keep around your home well lit at night.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
I live in near by Vine City, and the area isn't a war zone like they try to make you think, the worst thing about the area are the burnt down and unkept abandoned homes/buildings. Outside of that if you aren't involved in Crime, and live conservative (not too flashy), you`ll be fine. Just invest in an Alarm,Burgler Bars/Secruity Film, and keep around your home well lit at night.

This,

Washington Park, especially close to the actual park, is a pretty safe, decent area. The homes are on the small side IMO but if it is just for your parents, they may not want a big home. Most of the inhabitants when we put in an offer on the house in the area were elderly and they kept up their property well.

We were looking to buy a house on Ollie Street, with is up, then down the hill from the park. It is a nice little area and is very convenient to MARTA. The Natatorium at Washington Park is great too, nice staff and workout facilities and it draws a very diverse crowd. The neighborhood is getting more diverse, especially around Lena St. with the newer homes. If they are going to buy, I would stay where you (OP) are speaking of, near the park itself.

FWIW, HGTV's "Curb Appeal" did a show on one of the homes on Ollie Street, two homes down from the house we were looking at buying. You may be able to look it up. We only didn't buy the home because it failed the home inspection - foundation issues. I would have loved living in that area so I was sad that the repairs exceeded what we were willing to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: