Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 03:53 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Note that Emory has a Winship Cancer Institute. Probably whoever is doing this is drawing its name from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:10 PM
bu2

Legislative panel approves Tucker, LaVista Hills bills - Decaturish

The State Government Administration Subcommittee met today and signed off on bills for the proposed cities of Tucker and LaVista Hills.
The bills will now be heard by the full Governmental Affairs Committee on Wednesday at 8 am at a location to be announced.
Subcommittee member state Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver, D-Decatur, was the only “no” vote, according to people who attended the meeting. The attendees said that there would be no changes to the maps to resolve overlaps between the cityhood proposals and annexation proposals. The map for LaVista Hills overlaps overlaps with an annexation proposal for the city of Atlanta. The Tucker map overlaps with a Stone Mountain annexation plan.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
bu2

Stonecrest cityhood bill introduced - Decaturish

Stonecrest has become the third proposed DeKalb County city to be introduced in the General Assembly this week.
State Rep. Dee Dawkins-Haigler, D-Lithonia, sponsored the Stonecrest cityhood bill a day after the introduction of bills for Tucker and LaVista Hills. If the bill passes this year, it would have to be approved by voters in a referendum.
A subcommittee approved the Tucker and LaVista Hills bills this afternoon and they will be heard by the full Governmental Affairs Committee on Wednesday morning, March 4.
A copy of the Stonecrest bill was not immediately available. The City of Stonecrest legislation is House Bill No. 539.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:30 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Proposed DeKalb city of Winship in the works - Decaturish

Anyone wanna take bets that this is the Emory/Druid Hills area?
Good surmise, Gulch. I bet you are right.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:36 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,048 times
So let's see...in DeKalb alone we now have:

- Dunwoody (incorporated 2008)
- Brookhaven (incorporated 2011)
- Lavista Hills (pending; some territory disputed)
- Tucker (pending; some territory disputed)
- Greenhaven (pending; some territory disputed)
- Stonecrest (pending)
- Winship (pending)

That's not to mention all of the annexations completed or proposed by existing cities (Chamblee, Doraville, Decatur, Atlanta, etc.).

What a mess! Then there's the fact that if Greenhaven incorporates, it would be the state's second-largest city. I wonder what Columbus, Augusta, and Savannah would think about that...

- skbl17

Old 03-03-2015, 09:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
So let's see...in DeKalb alone we now have:

- Dunwoody (incorporated 2008)
- Brookhaven (incorporated 2011)
- Lavista Hills (pending; some territory disputed)
- Tucker (pending; some territory disputed)
- Greenhaven (pending; some territory disputed)
- Stonecrest (pending)
- Winship (pending)

That's not to mention all of the annexations completed or proposed by existing cities (Chamblee, Doraville, Decatur, Atlanta, etc.).

What a mess! Then there's the fact that if Greenhaven incorporates, it would be the state's second-largest city. I wonder what Columbus, Augusta, and Savannah would think about that...

- skbl17
I need a scorecard to keep up!

Old 03-04-2015, 07:39 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Sounds like a ploy to derail the others. Some are the legislators and the county commissioners are very opposed to any of this. They want to keep their power and/or control over funds.
Oh well, sounds like me to me somebody has issued a poison pill into the brew of foolishness...

Old 03-04-2015, 02:01 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post

- skbl17
Well, It's the Atlanta metro, so there's gonna be more people. The thing that bothers me about the size is that these people are so spread out.
Can anyone tell me if Conley and Ellenwood are apart of Greenhaven?

Old 03-04-2015, 03:09 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Cityhood legislation rapidly moves ahead | www.ajc.com

Quote:
Measures to create the cities of LaVista Hills, South Fulton and Tucker sailed through a committee Wednesday, setting up a vote before the full House of Representatives possibly next week.
The House Governmental Affairs Committee approved the legislation that would allow a November referendum to create the cities.

All three of the bills were passed within 10 minutes. Each of the cityhood proposals were introduced in the House on Monday, passed by a subcommittee on Tuesday and given the go-ahead by the full committee Wednesday...

Old 03-04-2015, 06:34 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Can anyone tell me if Conley and Ellenwood are apart of Greenhaven?
The DeKalb parts, yes. The Henry and Clayton county parts of Ellenwood and Conley won't be affected.

- skbl17
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta