Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 12:12 AM

37,935 posts, read 42,250,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So instead of a 48 mile system, MARTA is a 96 mile system? It IS a boldface lie to call it a 2.7 mile system. I measured it, the MOST we could possibly call it is a 1.6 or so mile system. The "loop" from Woodruff park to Centennial Olympic park is 0.7, then from there to the King Center is 0.8, then just to be generous I added the .1 mile between the blocks. That's 1.6.
You're as wrong as two left shoes, but knock yourself out. As it was stated, 2.7 miles of actual track were laid so no, it is NOT a boldface lie and I think you should learn the meaning of terms before you use them. Just say that the service area is half the distance of actual track laid, but stop calling the USDOT, city of Atlanta, and other entities liars because of the 2.7 mile figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 02:40 AM

385 posts, read 404,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I imagine that this is how the streetcar will be once phase 1 is fully built. Thanks for the story!

Though, just fyi, the whole thing was $100 Million, not $100 Trillion. Oh what a system we could have for that price! I know that's not what you mean, but the format 's bugging the engineer in me.

Yes it's all that.... and it's in an effective service line of 1.3 - 1.6 miles. The 2.7 miles of work was done in the same general area. One block does not a new line make.

I think so....if they have plans to expand it and they hope to do so..ridership is really going to determine to make them do so. I'm not sure that when our Riverline opened they had inital plans to extended i believe that came a couple years later after ridership spiked.......$100 Trillion omg that would be lovely every city would be getting atleast a new subway line or something lol. +No Problem .

Old 02-22-2015, 06:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,974,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It might be 2.7 miles in rail length, but the actual displacement is only 1.3 miles.
Does that mean 285 is not 63 miles, but 31.5 because it's a loop and it's displacement is only half or whatever measurement?

Old 02-22-2015, 07:40 AM

5,620 posts, read 5,973,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Does that mean 285 is not 63 miles, but 31.5 because it's a loop and it's displacement is only half or whatever measurement?
No, you aren't counting the inner and outer loops. So according to some 285 is actually 126 miles long since 126 miles of one way pavement was laid down.

Besides, you wouldn't get off Ashford Dunwoody in Dekalb to get to something off 285 in Cobb County, for the streetcar you can just get off on Edgewood to get to something off of Auburn Ave.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 AM

7,370 posts, read 6,572,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're as wrong as two left shoes, but knock yourself out. As it was stated, 2.7 miles of actual track were laid so no, it is NOT a boldface lie and I think you should learn the meaning of terms before you use them. Just say that the service area is half the distance of actual track laid, but stop calling the USDOT, city of Atlanta, and other entities liars because of the 2.7 mile figure.
So then MARTA heavy rail is actually a 96 mile system, yes or no?
Quote:
Did you just ignore the post where I broke down the measurement of the system? The true "loop" part of the route, I let stand alone, from Woodruff Park to Centennial Olympic and back (just like I-285). The part that you seem to have so much problem with is the Edgewood/Auburn segment. Just because they run a block apart, doesn't mean you can automatically double the distance when figuring service area. It does expand it slightly, but only slightly, not nearly enough to add another mile!

Old 02-22-2015, 09:05 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,717,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
I think so....if they have plans to expand it and they hope to do so..ridership is really going to determine to make them do so. I'm not sure that when our Riverline opened they had inital plans to extended i believe that came a couple years later after ridership spiked.......$100 Trillion omg that would be lovely every city would be getting atleast a new subway line or something lol. +No Problem .
Here you go:

That's the rest of Phase 1. Notice that it includes the downtown section.

There's the full buildout plan.

Official 2014 Streetcar Plan

Old 02-22-2015, 09:34 AM

37,935 posts, read 42,250,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So then MARTA heavy rail is actually a 96 mile system, yes or no?
Dumb analogy; MARTA has 48 miles of track laid and the streetcar has 2.7 miles of track laid. As I said, it's obvious that the streetcar's service area is about a mile and a half because it's tightly looped but the system itself is 2.7 miles.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,974,861 times
I think what some of these people are having trouble with is not measuring the distance the streetcar travels and instead focuses on the area. The Streetcar travels 2.7 miles on a pinched loop route.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:51 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,153,010 times
Quote:
I think what some of these people are having trouble with is not measuring the distance the streetcar travels and instead focuses on the area. The Streetcar travels 2.7 miles on a pinched loop route.
It's really semantics.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:44 PM

7,370 posts, read 6,572,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dumb analogy; MARTA has 48 miles of track laid and the streetcar has 2.7 miles of track laid. As I said, it's obvious that the streetcar's service area is about a mile and a half because it's tightly looped but the system itself is 2.7 miles.
Are you being DELIBERATELY obtuse??? MARTA has 96 miles of track laid. One track for each direction. It has 48 route miles, therefore, it has 96 track miles! The tracks allow trains to go one way, then come back the other way, just like the eastern half of the streetcar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta