Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:31 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,400,215 times

Advertisements

45k a year in Atlanta? With a kid? Ummmm, that's gonna be tight after taxes. Atlanta is my home, and I will be moving back this year; I currently am in the 51K-52k range, and I'm single with no kids. Although I will be doing an internal transfer with my current company, my hours will be cut to make that salary around 45k-47k, and I'm in a panic. I can't imagine living on that with a kid. Heck, having a kid now would be tight. Just be thinking real long and hard about moving to Atlanta on that money. Not that it can't be done, but do you want to be comfortable for real? Be able to take vacations, go out for dinner, shop, etc.? Just sayin'.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:41 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,459,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Alpharetta is still part of the metro. And Actually has pretty good schools too.

I'm guessing you could get a 2 bedroom apartment within your pricerange there. And people raise multiple kids on 45K and still somehow manage to survive as well.

I don't know that I would take the 20K salarycut, but if it's not getting you much more in DC then does it matter?
I think it does. $45k isn't a lot anywhere. Plus the op is in suburban DC, not DC proper.

It really depends on how you want to live. If the op lives, works, and plays in Northern Virginia they're not missing much doing the same thing in Alpharetta. I have a thing for cities, so these are my personal preferences.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 PM

787 posts, read 969,600 times
I always say money doesn't mean nothing if you're not happy with your location. Quality of Life isn't all about money, it's about being happy. So come on down and work your way up, $45k is better than most who move down here.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,541 times
I get the sense most here don't know how expensive D.C. is. I was approached about a job that would have required the opposite move (From Atlanta to DC) and the online calculators showed it was over 40% more expensive in D.C. and even with a 20-25% increase in salary it is really hard to justify what essentially may feel like a pay cut unless you are going somewhere you really really want to be. If you can squeeze out a few more thousand than the $45k you are essentially getting a pay raise if you believe the COL calculators.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I get the sense most here don't know how expensive D.C. is. I was approached about a job that would have required the opposite move (From Atlanta to DC) and the online calculators showed it was over 40% more expensive in D.C. and even with a 20-25% increase in salary it is really hard to justify what essentially may feel like a pay cut unless you are going somewhere you really really want to be. If you can squeeze out a few more thousand than the $45k you are essentially getting a pay raise if you believe the COL calculators.
But if she's getting more and higher pay raises in D.C., then it doesn't make any sense.

Good luck. I just feel like moving down here based on the circumstances she laid out, she will regret down the road when she could have been making 80k-90k in D.C....with 45k, I'm very sure they won't living in a good school district unless she chooses to rent because Alpharetta and Johns Creek are not cheap and are higher than the average in the Atlanta metro area.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:08 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,487,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I wouldn't even waste your time lol. They don't know any better.They never lived there and they are on the outside looking in. We have lived there so we know what the real reality is lol. It looks good on paper but in reality it's totally different. They don't know that most people our age have to have several roommates to survive. They don't know that the average person still has a roommate until they are 30+ unless they get married and combine both incomes.
Excuse you, "They don't know any better"? Boy stop, while you are ahead. I've spent more time in the major black cities across the nation than you likely have, period... FYI, the embolden could be and is said about a sizeable population of Atlanta as well...

Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,487,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacollins View Post
Hmm I can't say that I agree that DC has a better quality of life for educated African Americans. In fact, I would argue otherwise as many African Americans struggle with the high cost of home ownership in the DC metro.
It's about even according to most statistics on homeownership rankings amongst blacks. Also the cost-of-living is higher in DC but salaries are higher because of that. Finally, this region is just now bouncing back from being hit extremely hard by the housing bubble that hit educated and middle class black the hardest. Looks and hearsay can be deceiving about how well some of us are living here because unless you are making 60K, you might be in for a big surprise on how ridiculous...

Old 02-18-2015, 11:20 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,459,538 times
The thing about this thread is that there is either more opportunities in DC, or those opportunities are easier to come by. We know how expensive DC is. We also know how competitive you have to be just to get into the DC area. So why throw all of that hard work away unless you are truly miserable.

DC is a "if you can make it there you can make it anywhere" type of place. Personally I would hold out until a better opportunity comes about.

If the op plays their cards right, they could make $60K in Atlanta proper. If they're worth $60 in Northern Virginia they should be worth $60K somewhere else.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM

251 posts, read 258,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
The thing about this thread is that there is either more opportunities in DC, or those opportunities are easier to come by. We know how expensive DC is. We also know how competitive you have to be just to get into the DC area. So why throw all of that hard work away unless you are truly miserable.

DC is a "if you can make it there you can make it anywhere" type of place. Personally I would hold out until a better opportunity comes about.

If the op plays their cards right, they could make $60K in Atlanta proper. If they're worth $60 in Northern Virginia they should be worth $60K somewhere else.
This is a good point. If the OP really wants to move to Atlanta, but the $45K salary she'd make by transferring with her current govt job wouldn't leave much breathing room, why not look for another job? Maybe something in the private sector would give her at least $50K or $55K plus room for growth and she'd be in a much better position. I think the thing that's worse than the salary level is the fact that she's been told there's not much room for growth. $45K is ok for a while if you know you can work hard and push to a higher salary level.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:44 AM

150 posts, read 252,764 times
Yes I can try to hold out for a higher salary, but it will definately be for a different position which is not as easy to come by because the numbers are limited more than DC. But as far as this position there is no negotiating for a higher salary at all due to transparency reasons. I asked that already and they came back with the cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta