Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:37 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I mentioned Lee Atwater because of a very true and infamous statement he made that applies here. Google it if you're not sure what I'm talking about.

It says a lot that you think a literacy test was simply proof of knowing how to read and lets me know that you lack a sufficient grasp on history to be able to understand the ramifications of voter ID laws.

Here, educate yourself: Voting rights and the Supreme Court: The impossible "literacy" test Louisiana used to give black voters.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read in this forum and doesn't apply in the least. Not voting is NOT A CRIME, for one. Secondly, voting without an ID is not a violent crime. Thirdly, as I already stated, criminal correlations have NOTHING TO DO WITH ABILITY, which is the argument you're making. I shouldn't have to spell that out.

Are you friggin' serious? College ID's from public colleges and universities, at the least, are indeed STATE ISSUED!

I hope you're never employed as a defender of these laws because you're making an exceptionally lousy argument--but it can never be otherwise when the basis is to prevent "fraud" that's not occurring in the first place.
Fraud happens all the time.

But its all political. The Republicans and Democrats both know that the laziest, least informed voters tend to vote Democratic. The Democrats real argument is they want to make it as easy as possible for lazy, stupid voters to vote. Its not discriminatory. There's no morally superior side. Its just self-interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:43 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Are you friggin' serious? College ID's from public colleges and universities, at the least, are indeed STATE ISSUED!
But that discriminates against private school kids...

Old 03-24-2015, 11:54 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Fraud happens all the time.

But its all political. The Republicans and Democrats both know that the laziest, least informed voters tend to vote Democratic. The Democrats real argument is they want to make it as easy as possible for lazy, stupid voters to vote. Its not discriminatory. There's no morally superior side. Its just self-interest.
Is that so? You care to provide a source on that?

So by that logic, I guess Georgia overall is so reliably red because it has a ton of well-informed, industrious voters in the sticks of south Georgia and the hollers of north Georgia? And folks in those blue Northern and Western states, with high GDPs and educational attainment rates, are actually lazy and poorly informed and do a good job of covering it up?

Oh, and fraud does NOT happen "all the time."

Voter fraud generally rarely happens. When it does, election law experts say it happens more often through mail-in ballots than people impersonating eligible voters at the polls. An analysis by News21, a journalism project at Arizona State University, found 28 cases of voter fraud convictions since 2000. Of those, 14 percent involved absentee ballot fraud. Voter impersonation, the form of fraud that voter ID laws are designed to prevent, made up only 3.6 percent of those cases. (Other types included double voting, the most common form, at 25 percent, and felons voting when they were prohibited from doing so. But neither of those would be prevented by voter ID laws, either.)

Why Voter ID Laws Aren't Really About Fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
But that discriminates against private school kids...
That could easily be taken care of by making college IDs across the board acceptable forms of ID for voting purposes, but my point is that saying that college IDs are not state-issued isn't true across the board.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:55 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:

So by that logical, I guess Georgia overall is so reliably red because it has a ton of well-informed, industrious voters in the sticks of south Georgia and the hollers of north Georgia?

That could easily be taken care of by making college IDs across the board acceptable forms of ID for voting purposes, but my point is that saying that college IDs are not state-issued isn't true for public institutions.
I'm celebrating Sarcasm Tuesday today!

Old 03-24-2015, 01:09 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,231 times
My words are in bold.
Quote:
Google it if you're not sure what I'm talking about.

No need to be rude. We can discuss this without being snide.

Here, educate yourself

I'm noticing a trend here.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read in this forum and doesn't apply in the least.

It's completely relevant. You stated that a law being broken in disproportionate amounts by different groups is evidence that the law is discriminatory. You obviously have a hard time formulating an argument without attacking people.

Not voting is NOT A CRIME, for one.

I never said anything to imply that. I don't know where you got that. No need to yell.

Secondly, voting without an ID is not a violent crime.

Again, I never said anything to imply that. I only gave an example of how all crimes are committed in disproportionate amounts by different groups. Extortion is more likely to be committed by whites but it isn't discriminating them.

Inability to get an I.D. is not anyone elses issue. I don't know why anyone would not have an I.D. I frankly don't think people who are that irresponsible should be able to vote.

Thirdly, as I already stated, criminal correlations have NOTHING TO DO WITH ABILITY, which is the argument you're making.

Again, no need to yell. I stated that not being able to follow the law and inability to follow a law are the same thing. If they are able to get an I.D. why haven't they already? No responsible adult is without an I.D..

Yes. I am "friggin serious." So, some are some aren't. But why would we expect people to be able to recognize the dozens of different college I.D.s in our state when it's so easy to get one a standard I.D.?

I hope you're never employed as a defender of these laws because you're making an exceptionally lousy argument.

I wouldn't want to work in that field. I think my argument is pretty good considering you can't refute it without blowing your lid. I think that resorting to yelling and making childish personal attacks is something that people resort to when they are unable to discuss things like an adult.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:21 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,231 times
Quote:

Oh, please. This is common knowledge. Poor people are less likely to vote and they tend to vote for the Dems.

The Politics of Financial Insecurity | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Of course. Everything rich white people do is racist.

...And whenever the non rich/white suspect separatism, they should be dimissed with sarcasm.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
My words are in bold.
Your "defense" is a complete and utter joke; you're not even worth the time and effort but let's bring back those literacy tests, right? We want our voters to know how to read!

Last edited by Mutiny77; 03-24-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Oh, please. This is common knowledge. Poor people are less likely to vote and they tend to vote for the Dems.

The Politics of Financial Insecurity | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
Are your reading comprehension skills really THAT dull? Bu2 said the laziest and least informed, not the poorest. Oh but let me guess: you believe all poor people are lazy and stupid.

And no, what he/she said is NOT common knowledge (well maybe in your misinformed world it is). Here's a source that supports the notion that the Dems have an edge among educated voters, especially Whites:

When viewed in the context of educational attainment alone, without also examining income level, the blog authors concluded that high school graduates are more Republican than non-high school graduates. But after that, the groups with more education tended to vote more Democratic. At the very highest education level tabulated in the survey, voters with postgraduate degrees leaned toward the Democrats.

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/st...ng-tendencies/

Old 03-24-2015, 02:40 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Are your reading comprehension skills really THAT dull? Bu2 said the laziest and least informed, not the poorest. Oh but let me guess: you believe all poor people are lazy and stupid.

And no, what he/she said is NOT common knowledge (well maybe in your misinformed world it is). Here's a source that supports the notion that the Dems have an edge among educated voters, especially Whites:

When viewed in the context of educational attainment alone, without also examining income level, the blog authors concluded that high school graduates are more Republican than non-high school graduates. But after that, the groups with more education tended to vote more Democratic. At the very highest education level tabulated in the survey, voters with postgraduate degrees leaned toward the Democrats.

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/st...ng-tendencies/
What you just posted supported my point. The least educated tend to vote Democratic. The least educated also tend to be poorer and they tend to vote in lower numbers.

But voter id is really getting off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta