Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 AM

14 posts, read 21,249 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to accept a job offer in Atlanta that will require me to move there on very short notice. I'm looking at areas to rent for about a year while I put my current house on the market and look for some place more permanent. I notice a lot of brick ranch houses in the south part of Decatur, which appear to be outside the actual city limits of Decatur in DeKalb County, which look like they could suit my current needs well, and are inexpensive enough that I could comfortably afford them while still servicing my current mortgage. My main priorities at this point are that the area is relatively safe and not too difficult to commute into downtown. What are your thoughts on this part of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:15 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Probably not great. Can you share more details, ie street name, neighborhood name etc.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:24 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlawyer2010 View Post
I'm planning to accept a job offer in Atlanta that will require me to move there on very short notice. I'm looking at areas to rent for about a year while I put my current house on the market and look for some place more permanent. I notice a lot of brick ranch houses in the south part of Decatur, which appear to be outside the actual city limits of Decatur in DeKalb County, which look like they could suit my current needs well, and are inexpensive enough that I could comfortably afford them while still servicing my current mortgage. My main priorities at this point are that the area is relatively safe and not too difficult to commute into downtown. What are your thoughts on this part of town?
LovinDecatur would be the best person to ask.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:54 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
While there are some pockets south of the city limits of Decatur that have been stable and are full of long time home owners (Forest Hills comes to mind), you really should drive the neighborhood before you rent or buy (and I would even add talk to the neighbors) On the other hand, the commute downtown should be a breeze and would give you the choice of MARTA, I-20, or taking Memorial Drive into the City. Just be vigilant, do your "homework", and make sure you know just what you are getting into. It has been my experience that you can not just blanket statement any community and that many have a street by street, block by block dynamic.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:51 PM

262 posts, read 637,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Probably not great. Can you share more details, ie street name, neighborhood name etc.
That. If you can share the specific street names I may be able to help you. I lived about a mile outside of Decatur on the south side for many years. My particular street had/has some issues, but there are plenty of nice pockets in that area. It is the kind of neighborhood that varies a bit from street to street. I know tons of people who live peacefully and happily in 30032.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: