Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 08:03 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Proposal for 32 acres near Gwinnett Place Mall
I'll believe it when I see it. The article links to another story from 2016 about a developer proposing a mixed-use project on that same plot of land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 10:18 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Proposal for 32 acres near Gwinnett Place Mall

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/photo...vrtMj4x9aCChK/
Bring it on.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:49 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times
Pretty sure the mall saw more visitors this weekend than the whole month of June due to Stranger Things tourism.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:12 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
https://www.ajc.com/news/opinion/opi...S2hrTgKlQ1quL/

Here's the latest.

To me, this is very disheartening. I like that the CID is concerned about the mall, but all this article does is paint a very generic picture of what we "must do" in order to save the mall. What it doesn't do is present a single concrete idea for achieving any of it.

It also contradicts itself by placing the onus for revitalizing the mall on all of us, while at the same time mentioning Moonbeam doesn't seem to be willing to do anything about the mall. It has long been the CID's stance that it can't do much about the mall because it's private property. If that's true, what's the point of a call to action article? What can we do about it?

It seems like they're just mad the media is portraying the mall as dead or dying when describing Stranger Things.

In my opinion, promoting the mall as a filming location is the best short-term future it has -- though it's difficult to imagine how many more times it can be used before viewers start saying, "Hey, that's just a re-purposed Starcourt Mall!" But it's not like there are any better ideas out there for the mall that are realistic.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:55 AM

Wonder what the CID should do? Start lobbying to sell of chunks of the property for mixed use redevelopment until that movement builds critical momentum?

That's what I've been doing with my initiative to get the business community involved in transit funding and I'm beginning to see glimmers that it's working.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:19 AM

I don't think there's much the CID can do. Sears already sold it's building to a developer who plans to use it to build apartments, and maybe some other mixed-use. I believe the only other tenant that owns its building is Megamart, which doesn't seem interested in selling. Moonbeam won't do anything, so the CID can lobby them as hard as they want and it won't do any good.

The CID is basically powerless when it comes to the mall, which makes it odd that it would author a piece in the AJC complaining about a property it has zero influence over.

If I were the CID, I'd pressure the local authorities to foreclose on the mall because I'm sure Moonbeam is not current on property taxes. Also, most of the outside lights don't work. I mean, I'd look for every tiny legal non-compliance I could find and cite the hell out of them until they get so frustrated they sell, or submit to foreclosure. That's the path I'd seek, but it requires cooperation from law enforcement. I'm not sure if the CID has that or not.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:55 AM

Maybe the CID just wants to bring attention to the issue. That's often the first step in getting change underway.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:57 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
Malls will be reinventing themselves to be more “immersive” beyond pure retail.

Tons of articles out there like this one about the trend

https://www.facilitiesnet.com/facili...selves---17653

The world keeps spinning, a good thing

Old 08-03-2019, 09:19 AM

Yes, but the crooked owners of Gwinnett Place Mall have no interest in reinventing anything. They're just sitting on it for who knows what reason. I suspect money laundering, but others have pointed out there are some non-illegal business reasons for holding onto a mall and letting it rot.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:41 AM

25,740 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Yes, but the crooked owners of Gwinnett Place Mall have no interest in reinventing anything. They're just sitting on it for who knows what reason. I suspect money laundering, but others have pointed out there are some non-illegal business reasons for holding onto a mall and letting it rot.
The value of the land is appreciating, and they are waiting for it to apex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta