Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:38 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,132,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What are the pros and cons as you see it, Gulch? Not challenging, just asking.
Sandtown/Loch Lomond would bring in a solid middle class area. FIB would bring in a huge amount of commercial tax revenue for the city without bringing in a ton of residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 01:13 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,491,140 times
Quote:
The ATL should only consider annexation if it makes the city stronger from a financial, business and school standpoint. We are stretched very thin already, despite having high taxes and struggling schools.

Annexing space for the sake of politics or just adding space is not a good idea.
Uh, the City of Atlanta already done a cost-benefit analysis and service delivery plan for the annexation, so your notions are null and void. If you don't want to see more black middle class households to annex into Atlanta then say it, but that is your own personal problem. However, the analysis and service delivery plans says it would be an economic benefit and adequate provision of services from Atlanta to these areas to move forward with these annexations.

The portion about the schools is practically a non-sequitur because Fulton County and Atlanta school districts should have been merged years ago. Overall, the differentiation between the two is basically non-existent. You would have to go down to the to individual school clusters to find differences. If you want to be in a better cluster zone then move into one, but this whole dispute over A. Phillip Randolph and Sandtown Middle is just plain stupid and petty as hell...

Old 06-16-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Sandtown/Loch Lomond would bring in a solid middle class area. FIB would bring in a huge amount of commercial tax revenue for the city without bringing in a ton of residents.
Exactly, the fact that all of these areas would benefit Atlanta is more than enough evidence that the city could provide for and receive equal if not more in return for the areas included into the city proper.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:20 PM

32,035 posts, read 36,853,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Uh, the City of Atlanta already done a cost-benefit analysis and service delivery plan for the annexation, so your notions are null and void. If you don't want to see more black middle class households to annex into Atlanta then say it, but that is your own personal problem. However, the analysis and service delivery plans says it would be an economic benefit and adequate provision of services from Atlanta to these areas to move forward with these annexations.

The portion about the schools is practically a non-sequitur because Fulton County and Atlanta school districts should have been merged years ago. Overall, the differentiation between the two is basically non-existent. You would have to go down to the to individual school clusters to find differences. If you want to be in a better cluster zone then move into one, but this whole dispute over A. Phillip Randolph and Sandtown Middle is just plain stupid and petty as hell...
Er, I haven't said anything whatsoever about black middle class households.

With regard to squabbles over politics and school issues, you are the one who has been talking about that.

//www.city-data.com/forum/39523839-post5.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/39523925-post6.html

Old 06-16-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Er, I haven't said anything whatsoever about black middle class households.

With regard to squabbles over politics and school issues, you are the one who has been talking about that.

//www.city-data.com/forum/39523839-post5.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/39523925-post6.html

Yeah, you have said that same line over and over again about "The ATL should only consider annexation if it makes the city stronger from a financial, business and school standpoint. We are stretched very thin already, despite having high taxes and struggling schools." which isn't true. The service delivery plan and cost-benefit analysis has proven that.

It is stupid and pointless to be going back and forth bickering over school districts when they are as a whole practically the same quality.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you have said that same line over and over again about "The ATL should only consider annexation if it makes the city stronger from a financial, business and school standpoint. We are stretched very thin already, despite having high taxes and struggling schools." which isn't true. The service delivery plan and cost-benefit analysis has proven that.
I have indeed said that and I'd say it again. But how do you somersault from that to claiming "you don't want to see more black middle class households"?

I've seen the flyer where it is said that Atlanta would provide municipal services to this area, but I haven't seen the cost benefit analysis by the COA. Is it online?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I have indeed said that and I'd say it again. But how do you somersault from that to claiming "you don't want to see more black middle class households"?

I've seen the flyer where it is said that Atlanta would provide municipal services to this area, but I haven't seen the cost benefit analysis by the COA. Is it online?
Implication is the key because you ought to be questioning the recent annexations of other jurisdictions as well. That same ole tire song and dance means you like criticize the city of Atlanta without merit but oblige the blatant idiocy and irresponsibility of other local jurisdictions, whom are clearly over their heads on many things. This move by Atlanta is calculated, but able to do because it already supplies water to these areas. Additionally, the police and fire protection services in these areas are subpar at best due to the loss of funding to FCPD and FCFD. APD and AFRD would be an upgrade in both categories. Finally, the tax digest of these areas displays it is a gain for Atlanta. Net gain overall.

Go to city hall and ask about the analysis and service delivery plan. You'll get an overview of it.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Implication is the key because you ought to be questioning the recent annexations of other jurisdictions as well. That same ole tire song and dance means you like criticize the city of Atlanta without merit but oblige the blatant idiocy and irresponsibility of other local jurisdictions, whom are clearly over their heads on many things. This move by Atlanta is calculated, but able to do because it already supplies water to these areas. Additionally, the police and fire protection services in these areas are subpar at best due to the loss of funding to FCPD and FCFD. APD and AFRD would be an upgrade in both categories. Finally, the tax digest of these areas displays it is a gain for Atlanta. Net gain overall.

Go to city hall and ask about the analysis and service delivery plan. You'll get an overview of it.

Well, I'm not a taxpayer in these other cities so I am not too concerned what they do annexation wise.

We just need to be sure that if the COA takes on more it's going to a gain for the taxpayers. The last time I asked about this downtown they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about but I'll be there tomorrow and will ask again.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not a taxpayer in these other cities so I am not too concerned what they do annexation wise.

We just need to be sure that if the COA takes on more it's going to a gain for the taxpayers. The last time I asked about this downtown they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about but I'll be there tomorrow and will ask again.
Well, taxpayer or not, blindly cheering on other local jurisdictions on when they are clearly over their collective heads is just as foolish. Some other local jurisdictions have prioritized boondoogles over funding their local school district and maintaining their roads. FYI, their roads many places are in worse shape than all of the roads in Atlanta combined.

The City of Atlanta infrastructure could sustain another up to 100K additional inhabitants now. FYI, all city councils are usually clueless unless they were briefed on the agenda unless an individual councilperson is the one to bring the issue up themselves.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,116 posts, read 14,937,587 times
Quote:
Well, taxpayer or not, blindly cheering on other local jurisdictions on when they are clearly over their collective heads is just as foolish. Some other local jurisdictions have prioritized boondoogles over funding their local school district and maintaining their roads. FYI, their roads many places are in worse shape than all of the roads in Atlanta combined.

The City of Atlanta infrastructure could sustain another up to 100K additional inhabitants now. FYI, all city councils are usually clueless unless they were briefed on the agenda unless an individual councilperson is the one to bring the issue up themselves.
Seems like Atlanta is the only one prioritizing "boondoggles" over funding their local school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta