Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:11 PM

61 posts, read 80,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The way she said it and just singling them out got people up in an uproar. Oh and white people were also disgusted when she said that. Have you seen the full video?
But why is mentioning that they are black offensive?

Old 05-09-2015, 08:12 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,914,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape from Los Angeles View Post
But why is mentioning that they are black offensive?
It's not what she said its how she said it.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:31 PM

787 posts, read 969,878 times
Theirs a longer version of the video showing her acting crazy before she mentioned black people and white people were leaving too and she didn't say anything to them.

Last edited by Larry X; 05-09-2015 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 09:36 PM

787 posts, read 969,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Anybody who walked out on the valedictorian's speech --black, white, Asian, hispanic or otherwise -- was being extremely rude. Why should blacks be the only ones called out for it?

Not good.

No, she forgot to bring up the VV at the correct time so she tried to bring him up at the end of the program, people were ready to leave by then probably had other plans. She was trying to over compensate for her mistake not the people's fault.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:05 PM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Firstly, how do you make it all the way through the ceremony without SOMEBODY telling her that she skipped over the valedictorian--the keynote speaker for the occasion--earlier in the program?

Secondly, the way she addressed the situation was COMPLETELY unprofessional for someone of her stature, from her choice of words to her tone and body language. And in the longer version she even told the ushers to prevent people from leaving! How anyone could defend this woman in ANY capacity here is beyond me.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:14 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,018,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
And the fact that you have no idea what the issue is, is exactly why offenses like this will continue.
Actually the real issue is, people who take positions based on feelings(i.e-the replies in this thread) will of necessity take disagreement more personally and feel offended more often than others.

My remarks were in no way attempting to offend. I will say blacks DO personalize offensive remarks more than most. If my remarks offend people to a point that they want to report me to the Mods, so be it. Just because I disagree with someone on this forum doesn't mean I'm "going to tell on you". That's child's play. I'm an adult. Adults don't always agree and sometimes adults say things we don't like. That's life. Freedom of speech doesn't mean--"People must say things I agree with"

Liberal blacks and other liberals see racism almost everywhere in America.

IMO, blacks need to put the focus and energy on Excellence, not being emotionally offended by what others say. It really does display the inferiority complex.

Last edited by Rocco Barbosa; 05-10-2015 at 02:03 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 04:55 AM

283 posts, read 375,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Actually the real issue is, people who take positions based on feelings(i.e-the replies in this thread) will of necessity take disagreement more personally and feel offended more often than others.

My remarks were in no way attempting to offend. I will say blacks DO personalize offensive remarks more than most. If my remarks offend people to a point that they want to report me to the Mods, so be it. Just because I disagree with someone on this forum doesn't mean I'm "going to tell on you". That's child's play. I'm an adult. Adults don't always agree and sometimes adults say things we don't like. That's life. Freedom of speech doesn't mean--"People must say things I agree with"

IMO, blacks need to put the focus and energy on Excellence, not being emotionally offended by what others say. It really does display the inferiority complex.
You know, there's this thing about people dismissing and discounting the concerns of black Americans because they're perceived as being "highly emotional," especially when it comes to name-calling, dog-whistling and code talk among this nation's majority demographic. Look at it this way - you wouldn't tell a Jewish guy to "grow a thicker skin" when someone's calling him a "****" or spouting phrases like "don't try to jew me on this deal." But that's precisely what's been happening to black people for ages.

So blacks are perceived as whiny little babies every time they approach the rest of America with a legitimate grievance, because the rest of America wants them to "grow a thicker skin" and accept any insult or attack on their collective character that's thrown at them. The whole "don't act like thugs if you don't want to be called thugs" thing rings hollow when people automatically call any black person who's not their personal best friend or a friendly next-door neighbor "thugs," based on automatic assumptions on what black Americans are perceived to do as a collective entity.

There's also this thing about the Nancy Gordeuks of the world finding guys like you to co-sign their idiocy because you're willing to go all James David Manning on fellow blacks. Which is why a lot of people on City-Data walk away from you sideways every time you drop a hot nugget of "knowledge."

As for TNT, the best thing the black community can do to solve that problem is to unenroll en masse and either support other, more welcoming private schools or, better still, create and support their own.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:57 AM

283 posts, read 375,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
It's not what she said its how she said it.
It's all about tone and intent.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:31 AM

994 posts, read 1,542,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

Are you Juan Williams by chance?

Old 05-10-2015, 05:33 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,862,653 times
The lady seems pretty emotionally unstable. She has no idea how to control a crowd. This must have been her lame way of gaining control back of the ceremony. Really, really bad idea. She was way over the top. Totally inexcusable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta