Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The Wikipedia article says that it is supposed to be part of the downtown passenger terminal, but that the preservation community still hopes that it can be saved. I hope so too. It's a pretty historically significant building, especially considering Atlanta's lack of modernist architecture.
Thanks, and I agree. If I'm not imagining things, I think I remember renderings of the MMPT that included this beauty. Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
This list may help:

Atlanta Preservation Center :: Atlanta's Most Endangered Historic Places

Old 05-14-2015, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 4,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Thanks for the list. I have seen it and unfortunately most are either too small or tied up. I absolutely love the Medical Arts building but it seems that is going nowhere. If I had to guess, I think that the owners are currently hoping that it falls in such disrepair they can get away with demolishing it and selling off the land to someone that wants to build a new highrise.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
WonderRoot has plans for it.
Its certainly a great site. APS has proven to be difficult.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Any specific era you prefer?

Personally I love Art Deco but practically no. The more important things are the structure, size, location (to a degree), price, etc.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:51 PM

What about something like this? Not in Atlanta proper (south of Ft Mac, easy MARTA access). it's brutalist, but I think that's officially becoming "historic". lol

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/15407907/1600-Connally-Drive-East-Point-GA/

Old 05-14-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think South Downtown has some good potential for something like this (which sounds like you are already looking there some). Check commercial listings I know I have seen some around there. Also, just look up owners of properties that fit what you are looking for and contact them. Many are usually open to something if their place is just sitting empty or underused even if they haven't listed it anywhere. I have had good luck with that. Also connect with Invest Atlanta and Central Atlanta Progress, I bet they would be very supportive of helping you make connections to revive a large historic building.
Yes, if you have any specific suggestions I'm all ears. I've reached out to the usual brokerages but haven't had much luck so far. My preference is vacant or underused. I don't know GA very well (born in Florida) so I'm still learning the neighborhoods.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
What about something like this? Not in Atlanta proper (south of Ft Mac, easy MARTA access). it's brutalist, but I think that's officially becoming "historic". lol

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/15407907/1600-Connally-Drive-East-Point-GA/
I unless someone famous lived there I doubt its historic but this is an interesting find, thanks! It appears to be off market but still owned by the Housing Authority. Its really odd for a Housing Authority site to be vacated unless its unsafe or if there is funding for replacement housing. With that said, its worth me reaching out to them.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:29 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
2011 Hosea L Williams Drive is an old toy factory building that has been vacant for years. It is in a nice neighborhood and next to Zone 6 precinct. https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7511...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Old 05-14-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalower12 View Post
I unless someone famous lived there I doubt its historic but this is an interesting find, thanks! It appears to be off market but still owned by the Housing Authority. Its really odd for a Housing Authority site to be vacated unless its unsafe or if there is funding for replacement housing. With that said, its worth me reaching out to them.

I am gonna send you a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: