Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:25 PM

18 posts, read 150,796 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Lawrenceville next summer and I wanted to know if anyone can give me some insight to the city.
How is the crime rate?

Which part of Lawrenceville is considered to be the good areas as opposed to the bad areas?

Which elementary school would you recommend? And which ones offer a pre K program?

Which part of Lawrenceville is considered to be a more family oriented area?

I've heard about the bad commute to Atlanta, but is it really worse than Miami, Florida?

I appreciate any feedback that I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 11:23 AM

39 posts, read 99,425 times
I moved to Lawrenceville - in the Grayson school district 6 months ago. If you live in the following school clusters/districts you sould be fine - Collins Hill, Peachtree Ridge, and Grayson. AVOID Central Gwinnett and Bermar. Both areas have low-income high crime apartment complexes.

In most cases in metro Atl/"suburbs" view the school district for the best place to live - not the town. A town/city in GA could have several school clusters.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:50 PM

48 posts, read 222,435 times
Default me too!

Miami74,

I'm also relocating to GA from Miami. My husband and I found a great home in Dacula. I don't know if you are familiar with the area, but it's in Gwinett county.

I sure hope we are making the right decision as I was born and raised in Miami. We are going up to GA this weekend for our color selection on the house and I intend on driving all over the surrounding areas. I keep reading about not so good neighborhoods near good neighborhoods and I am questioning it's consistancy.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2006, 04:11 AM

38 posts, read 193,982 times
My husband and I are both from Florida, he is from Miami Beach, and we moved here 6 years ago. It will be a culture shock for you, it took us a couple of years to get used to the GA culture. You will find the people friendly, esp compared to Miami. We find it hard to even visit Miami now, even though his family is there and we love the beach, due to the attitudes people have down there! I don't have kids so I can't comment on the schools, but I have heard Gwinnett has a decent school system. The traffic is horrible, esp if you plan to commute to the city for work. It will take you about an hour if not more in the mornings depending on the time of year and accidents. The culture in the city will be more like South Florida than the suburbs, atleast as far as I have experienced. Good luck with your move!!

Old 01-07-2007, 01:34 PM

29 posts, read 158,258 times
My cousin lives in Lawrenceville and works in Hapeville, near the airport and his commute is a solid hour of stop and go at it's best. Depending on how/when he hits it, he has various detour routes he takes when the jams/accidents are happening. He has to be to work at 6 am..no problem, a breeze. He gets off at 2:30 pm...beginnings of a big problem...the pay was worth it for him to daily battle the commute...also CD/radio is a lifesaver!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 AM

18 posts, read 150,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alovely1 View Post
My cousin lives in Lawrenceville and works in Hapeville, near the airport and his commute is a solid hour of stop and go at it's best. Depending on how/when he hits it, he has various detour routes he takes when the jams/accidents are happening. He has to be to work at 6 am..no problem, a breeze. He gets off at 2:30 pm...beginnings of a big problem...the pay was worth it for him to daily battle the commute...also CD/radio is a lifesaver!
Yes, I have heard about the massive commute to the downtown area. However, I deal with the same situation currently in Miami. My commute is anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hour. I am used to it though, so that would come as no surprise to me when I relocate to Lawrenceville. Thanks for the info though!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 33,759 times
Hi, I am relocating from Texas to Gwinnett County and can someone please tell me whats the best part of Gwinnett County to live in far as less crime, great school system. Thanks

Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhrrs View Post
Hi, I am relocating from Texas to Gwinnett County and can someone please tell me whats the best part of Gwinnett County to live in far as less crime, great school system. Thanks
Zip Code 30019 and 30011 Dacula/Auburn

Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 31,954 times
I have lived in lawrenceville most of my life and I would have to say the safest area to live is in the peachtree ridge highschool area, Jackson elementary is a great school, and there is practically no crime, and the commute is much lighter than Miami, the only bad areas in Georgia would be the projects in Atlanta or blairsville, which is nowhere near lawrenceville. But, lawrenceville is a small distance from all of georgias most popular places such as mall of Georgia, six flags, downtown Atlanta, and such.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerr View Post
I have lived in lawrenceville most of my life and I would have to say the safest area to live is in the peachtree ridge highschool area, Jackson elementary is a great school, and there is practically no crime, and the commute is much lighter than Miami, the only bad areas in Georgia would be the projects in Atlanta or blairsville, which is nowhere near lawrenceville. But, lawrenceville is a small distance from all of georgias most popular places such as mall of Georgia, six flags, downtown Atlanta, and such.
I'd have to add the Archer HS Cluster, which is by Tribble Mill and Harbins Cluster, to that list. Beside's the Disctrict Commissioner lives down the street from the HS. No Commercial anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta