Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 8,022 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am an itinerant teacher (meaning I am not just at one school, but drive from school to school working with individual students on my caseload.) Long story short:I'm a contract worker, and my contracts are year long -- and they can't be renewed until the school district tries to find a direct hire. So now I'm looking for a new job (just finished up in Paulding for the year).

There's an opening for my speciality in Clayton County School district, but from everything I've read it doesn't seem like the greatest district. I really want to be somewhere with welcoming, supportive, safe schools, especially since I will be visiting 4-5 schools a day. Clayton County doesn't seem too inviting, and the teacher reviews I've read have been negative. I was wondering if there are any current Clayton County teachers or residents on here who can offer some input. I would probably be living more in Grant Park area, as my husband will be working in Roswell so that sort of splits our commutes.

Any thoughts? There are other positions and openings, but I want to keep my options open if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 06:59 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho77 View Post
Hi! I am an itinerant teacher (meaning I am not just at one school, but drive from school to school working with individual students on my caseload.) Long story short:I'm a contract worker, and my contracts are year long -- and they can't be renewed until the school district tries to find a direct hire. So now I'm looking for a new job (just finished up in Paulding for the year).

There's an opening for my speciality in Clayton County School district, but from everything I've read it doesn't seem like the greatest district. I really want to be somewhere with welcoming, supportive, safe schools, especially since I will be visiting 4-5 schools a day. Clayton County doesn't seem too inviting, and the teacher reviews I've read have been negative. I was wondering if there are any current Clayton County teachers or residents on here who can offer some input. I would probably be living more in Grant Park area, as my husband will be working in Roswell so that sort of splits our commutes.

Any thoughts? There are other positions and openings, but I want to keep my options open if possible.
I would just take the best offer when it comes to this. Clayton is raising teacher salaries next school year, so it should be one of your top choices. As far as the schools themselves, and the students, you should know that these reviews don't tell the whole story. There are schools that are worse than others(every school district has that one or two schools), but overall Clayton is pretty good. This isn't coming from some old person who remembers the so called "good ole days" of Clayton, but a person who was in Elementary School when they were going through bad times. May I ask what you teach exactly?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
Not all schools anywhere are created equal, but there is more good in Clayton County Schools than bad. I have never taught in Clayton County Schools (I have in Atlanta, South Fulton, and Henry Counties, all around in other words) and I live there of course. I have known many teachers who were/ are in Clayton County. They seem to tell me that in Clayton, like anywhere else, it is dependent on the principal of the school(s) where you are. I worked with a veteran teacher this year in Henry that so regretted her move from a Morrow area elementary school (Clayton County) to our school that she is returning next school year! She seemed to miss the better staff development, resources, and pay as well as her supportive administrator. Being in several different schools you may wind up with bad and good, but you will not find it horrible. Most of your co-workers as well as your students will be fine, even great. I found that even when I worked at some of the most difficult situations in Atlanta Public Schools. Go in with a positive attitude and a can-do spirit and you will have an okay or even a GREAT year! That is what I have discovered after sixteen years as an educator in all types of settings. Good Luck!

Old 06-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Thank you both for your replies.
Demonta4 -- I would actually rather not say publicly as I'm in the interview process and it's a very small field. But I will be dealing with up to ten different schools, so I will likely run into the good and the bad.

Clayton white guy -- yeah, I totally agree that schools are completely individual as far as culture and attitude and effort is important. I guess it's just hard to gauge when I've never even visited Clayton (which I hope to soon), and I've heard mixed reviews.

The crime rates look quite high and I will driving all over the county, but from what y'all have said, crime doesn't seem to be a problem, at least around the schools?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:33 PM

I feel better about the county, hearing from first hand account of residents, so thank you!

Old 06-12-2015, 03:32 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho77 View Post
Thank you both for your replies.
Demonta4 -- I would actually rather not say publicly as I'm in the interview process and it's a very small field. But I will be dealing with up to ten different schools, so I will likely run into the good and the bad.

Clayton white guy -- yeah, I totally agree that schools are completely individual as far as culture and attitude and effort is important. I guess it's just hard to gauge when I've never even visited Clayton (which I hope to soon), and I've heard mixed reviews.

The crime rates look quite high and I will driving all over the county, but from what y'all have said, crime doesn't seem to be a problem, at least around the schools?
As far as the areas, the closer to Atlanta you are, the higher the crime rate. Most of the crimes are petty though, such as drug possession and vehicle stops. As far as the schools themselves, the high schools and elementary schools are safer. Middle School students do stupid things sometimes ( like fighting for fun in the bathrooms). You'll find that test scores also get better the further south you go.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:17 PM

Most crime in Clayton County seems to center around aging apartment complexes especially in the Old Dixie, 19/41, Northern parts of GA 85 and Riverdale Roads. Not necessarily in the single family communities where most schools are. Also most crimes ARE NOT random anywhere, especially serious violent ones.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:19 PM

I will also say I have NEVER been a crime victim in Clayton County, not in my four decades there in the Forest Park, Morrow, or Lake Spivey communities.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:50 PM

73 posts, read 91,320 times
In my 30 years of living in Clayton County (Morrow area) I have never been the victim of a crime. My two former neighbors who fled to Henry County have not been so lucky. Each of their homes has been burglarized and one has had two car break-ins. The following was posted on Facebook today about one of Henry's nicer areas:

Multiple residents reported 20 plus gunshots in the Terrace at Eagles Landing subdivision early Friday morning at about 4am off of Jodeco Rd near Historic Flippen. Several residents called 911 & police responded to the scene at the Terrace at Eagles Landing where 3 different residents called as well as to the neighboring community Winslow @ Eagles Landing where one resident called. One resident in Winslow reported seeing several cars leaving the community amenity area at a high rate of speed after the gunshots were heard in the distance. While yet another resident reported seeing young men emerging from the woods coming from the direction of the Terrace Subdivision after they too heard the gunshots they were awaken by just moments earlier. Interesting enough no one called police claiming to be the victim but 4 residents heard the gunfire all describing 20 plus shots. Police have indeed recorded these multiple accounts from different residents at that same location. The puzzling question is why did no one call claiming to be the victim? Do they have something to hide? At least two residents personally recounted the night to me & described how frightened they were. Sources suspect gang activity may have been involved but that has not been verified by Henry County Police however the gang task force has been alerted according to Henry County Police. The accounts on this post have been verified with police. I initially withheld this incident for verification & not to cause a panic with the rumors of another incident swirling on local social media as one has nothing to do with the other. Give police time to investigate so we get answers & be vigilant in protecting your community!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Numerous break-ins similar to this one in Union City reported in Stockbridge along the Walt Stephens corridor with backdoors kicked in....
This Home invasion in Union City was caught on tape it's shocking! Peachtree City reported a similar crime recently. We have heard of backdoor being kicked in just like this incident here in the Stockbridge area along the Walt Stephens corridor...Video has no sound...

Learn More
Atlanta, GA News, Weather, Events, Photos | Georgia - CBS46 News
CBS46
‪#‎BREAKING‬: Peachtree City police say this raw video was shared by Union City police in connection to an armed burglary that may be similar to a recent burglary in Peachtree City.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
The Henry County Police Department is looking into the attempted carjacking incident reported on Campground Rd to verify the details & what if anything actually happened according to 911 Director Don Ash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta