Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 37,900 times

Advertisements

I work 8:30 - 5:00 in downtown Atlanta, and I'm considering purchasing a home in the Camp Creek area (One of the Ryland, Pulte, or McCar homes). We're currently renting a very small apartment about a mile from my job, but we really need a house, and a mortgage isn't much more than our current rent. However, I don't want to drive more than 30 minutes to and from work. Anybody got any estimates about the general morning and afternoon commute times between Camp Creek and Georgia State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
...well, you can save yourself parking by hopping on a train over by East Point...

....if you're driving from Camp Creek to I-85 North I wouldn't expect much traffic until the merge with I-75 and then you'll only have a few exits...

...it just depends how far off of Camp Creek you are?

...If you're near 285, up to I-20 might be a better option.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
The Camp Creek commute would be more than 30 minutes into downtown Atlanta simply because of the connector, which gets backed up all the time. Of course, if you leave earlier, then you'll avoid that. Plus, coming home - the connector southbound is horrendous. Oftentimes, 30-45 minutes just to get from Brookwood to Langford Parkway at the height of commuting. I agree with the previous poster - take your car to the College Park or East Point MARTA station and take the train northward from there. Trains on that part of the route leave every 5 minutes during peak times and every 8-10 minutes on off-peak hours.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:40 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times
i disagree, I've done that commute several times and it's more like 20 minutes. South Fulton is an up and coming area that is very close to the city that is upscale and still affordable. Houses are moving fast!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:49 PM

179 posts, read 557,442 times
It really depends. I used to drop my son off in Ben Hill with a friend (just off of Langford, one exit north of Camp Creek) and it would take about 30 minutes to get from there to my job in midtown. If you take I-285 to I-20 and exit BEFORE you hit the connector and use side roads, it's really not that bad. I hardly ever ran into any traffic that way.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I would love to take MARTA, as it stops about a block from my office, but I regularly have to drive to other offices during the day. I know that it's quite an easy commute in off hours, but I've never driven it during rush hours. I may actually get up early one morning to drive down there and back, so I can check out the rush.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:59 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Your best route to be to take 285 North to 20 East and get off at the Spring Street or Whitehall Road Exit before the connector and take the streets into downtown. It shouldn't take more than 25-30 minutes. Interstate 20 inside of the perimeter is a breeze coming form the Westside of town (Inside of 285) in the mornings compared to other areas in the city.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 01-23-2008 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-23-2008, 08:14 AM

Sweet. That sounds great. One of the reasons we started looking in that section of town (aside from price) is that there are so many ways to get to downtown from there. Anybody else got any secret routes?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:39 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfowler View Post
Sweet. That sounds great. One of the reasons we started looking in that section of town (aside from price) is that there are so many ways to get to downtown from there. Anybody else got any secret routes?
Also depending from where your located at near Camp Creek you can take Fulton Industrial to I-20 East into downtown instead of 285 to 20. You could also take Langford Parkway aka Route 166 from either the connector(75/85 south of downtown) or from 285 past the Cascade Road exit. It really depends on what park of Camp Creek you will be residing in. I own rental property in the area and I take all threee routes depending on the time and how I'm feeling .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta