Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,310,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The fact that people can't live in affordable walkable neighborhoods is a problem in itself. Why should only the upper middle class and upper class be entitled to live in walkable, urban neighborhods, but a lower middle class citizen can't?

That's the inherent problem to cities themselves and why they'll never see the growth they did in the early 1900s. A kid making 50k a year should be able to live in a walkable, neighborhood.
Upper class or poor. If you are either of those you can get housing in your price range near walkable stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 11:56 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,310,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
A $50,000 "kid" could, at least in a loft or one bedroom; it is the $30,000 "kid" that couldn't.
Not at 1200+ a month rent with student loan debt.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,457,490 times
Average rent in Manhattan is $4,000 a month if that makes you feel better

Old 06-22-2015, 01:16 PM

371 posts, read 457,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Average rent in Manhattan is $4,000 a month if that makes you feel better
It doesn't, because we're talking about Atlanta, where the salaries are significantly lower.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:27 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,490,134 times
I highly doubt most people are clamoring to be in the "hot spots" like Midtown, Buckhead, Inman Park, Old Forth Ward, etc.. There are places in Atlanta where you would be over 5 miles from any major hot spots and still incur these extremely pricey issues for rentals like Camp Creek, Hapeville, etc. Additionally, affordable housing is one of the reasons why the overall housing market is become inverted where the lower-to-working-classes are forced to the suburbs and the upper-class are being encouraged (incentivized) and rewarded for locating intown. That within itself is actually a major market distortions and deficiencies because those whom need direct access to walkable, transit-accessible areas are being forced away from what they exactly need to survive, thrive, and succeed.

Another thing everyone shouldn't be forced to buy when they may not be a place in their lives where they are certain they want to stay indefinitely or cannot afford to make a down-payment for home-ownership. Additionally, many individuals credit was trashed thanks to the recession and maybe due to them losing their jobs during the recession or worse. If one takes into the realization how many people are just simple trying to locate close to their current employment and encountering these very problems you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss these issues.

I know I'm lucky enough to afford such, but many aren't which means we shouldn't ignore these ongoing conditions.

Last edited by jero23; 06-22-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 01:55 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,408,981 times
Hell i've seen rent in Smyrna go from $550 for a safe location to over $800 for a ONE bedroom in a matter of 3-4 years.

Renovated Apartments for Rent in Marietta GA | Lincoln Hills Apartments | Lincoln Property Company

A year ago this complex was $600 for a one bedroom, now they're asking over $800 for the same units. And don't be fooled, the "classic" units they have when the leases are up they're "upgrading" them to the new price. Same thing my complex is doing. They'll show you the $650 price then when you get there they just so happen to not have anymore of them available.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:16 PM

8,487 posts, read 15,017,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I highly doubt most people are clamoring to be in the "hot spots" like Midtown, Buckhead, Inman Park, Old Forth Ward, etc.. There are places in Atlanta where you would be over 5 miles from any major hot spots and still incur these extremely pricey issues for rentals like Camp Creek, Hapeville, etc. Additionally, affordable housing is one of the reasons why the overall housing market is become inverted where the lower-to-working-classes are forced to the suburbs and the upper-class are being encouraged (incentivized) and rewarded for locating intown. That within itself is actually a major market distortions and deficiencies because those whom need direct access to walkable, transit-accessible areas are being forced away from what they exactly need to survive, thrive, and succeed.

Another thing everyone shouldn't be forced to buy when they may not be a place in their lives where they are certain they want to stay indefinitely or cannot afford to make a down-payment for home-ownership. Additionally, many individuals credit was trashed thanks to the recession and maybe due to them losing their jobs during the recession or worse. If one takes into the realization how many people are just simple trying to locate close to their current employment and encountering these very problems you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss these issues.

I know I'm lucky enough to afford such, but many aren't which means we shouldn't ignore these ongoing conditions.
You make a very valid point that I think gets ignored by those who don't understand why this is such a big problem. I know plenty of folks with great jobs and salaries, but have trouble finding a place to rent (forget about buying) because of events outside of their control. Things like divorce, job loss, or unexpected medical situations can really ruin things for people when they go to do something that should be simple like renting or buying a home.

One of my friends in particular had his credit ruined by his ex-wife (and depleted what he thought was their shared savings) and now can't find a place to rent that isn't a roach infested hole, even though he makes +$60k a year. If he were rich he could buy his way out this problem, and if he were poor there are programs to help him find a place to live. But since he has the gall to be be educated and middle class, he's SOL.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:18 PM

8,487 posts, read 15,017,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Hell i've seen rent in Smyrna go from $550 for a safe location to over $800 for a ONE bedroom in a matter of 3-4 years.

Renovated Apartments for Rent in Marietta GA | Lincoln Hills Apartments | Lincoln Property Company

A year ago this complex was $600 for a one bedroom, now they're asking over $800 for the same units. And don't be fooled, the "classic" units they have when the leases are up they're "upgrading" them to the new price. Same thing my complex is doing. They'll show you the $650 price then when you get there they just so happen to not have anymore of them available.
This is another big problem and I wonder how legal it is since basically every apartment complex seems to be doing it these days. I had one friend see an add for a $925 studio in a decent building, only to find out upon arriving that they didn't have it but they had a nice $1300 one bed to show them. Give me a break.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:53 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,074,029 times
I disagree. Why does everybody deserve to be in a walkable area? It's an amenity.

But the truth is, anybody can afford a walkable area in Atlanta. It just may not be the kind of walkable you want. For example, if you live off Buford Highway in Norcorss or Chamblee, you should be within a mile of absolutely everything you need to survive. It's not a beautiful walk and the retail isn't great, but you have to pay for the great stuff.

I don't want to sound like Ayn Rand, but why does everybody have to have access to the same stuff the successful people do? Further, there are more important things in life to strive for.

I generally agree that rents are too high in Atlanta, but it's a free market. What do you want to do, institute rent control? They system will always exist at equilibrium, whatever that happens to be at the moment.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:02 PM

283 posts, read 360,906 times
I love the hypocrites on here saying, "Oh, well if you can't afford to live in these places, then you'll have to live further away." And then in the same breath they say, "If traffic is so bad, you should move closer."

Uh... Wth? If you're a typical "middle-class" individual or a college grad, you're screwed. You're either stuck far away and contribute and have to deal with the traffic problem (which our lovely guvment doesn't want to fix) or you have to pay crazy rent prices.

The rents are simply unreasonable for the class of city. This isn't New York. This isn't Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta