Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:26 AM

16 posts, read 26,509 times

Advertisements

Wanted to see if anyone had any insight into the immediate future of the Jonquil Village lot at the corner of Atlanta Rd and Spring Rd in Smyrna. I noticed they have zoning variance signs up recently for zoning plan changes and there has been activity behind those ever present fences.

Anyone know if something is finally happening with that space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 08:05 AM

559 posts, read 832,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclockma View Post
Wanted to see if anyone had any insight into the immediate future of the Jonquil Village lot at the corner of Atlanta Rd and Spring Rd in Smyrna. I noticed they have zoning variance signs up recently for zoning plan changes and there has been activity behind those ever present fences.

Anyone know if something is finally happening with that space?

Halpern owns both Belmont and Jonquil, so how well and how quickly Belmont develops will affect what happens w/ Jonquil. Jack Halpern told a group I was in that Jonquil would be developed after Belmont, i.e. the better/quicker Belmont goes, the sooner Halpern will be willing to risk more $$ into Jonquil.

To this point, Belmont seems to going really well, as long as the single family homes sell and the high-end apartments rent. The commercial on the Atl Rd/Windy Hill corner has leased about 9-10 of the 17 available spaces, according to a Halpern leasing document. That may be old info by now, though.

Halpern did say they would still love to land an anchor grocery like Publix, Trader Joe's, etc at Jonquil. But, Publix already has 3 surrounding locations, Sprouts just moved in 5 minutes away, and there were rumors of Whole Foods building near HD corporate on Paces Ferry.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:22 AM

Sounds good. I'd read the rumor about the Whole Foods back in February but hadn't heard anything recently. It did make me wonder if they'd decided to rezone Jonquil for something other than large grocery store, hence the rezoning signs that popped up in the past few days.

It's great to see Belmont coming along as well, especially seeing the retail spaces being constructed in the past 2 weeks.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclockma View Post
Sounds good. I'd read the rumor about the Whole Foods back in February but hadn't heard anything recently. It did make me wonder if they'd decided to rezone Jonquil for something other than large grocery store, hence the rezoning signs that popped up in the past few days.

It's great to see Belmont coming along as well, especially seeing the retail spaces being constructed in the past 2 weeks.
My guess is what you'll see at Jonquil will be a scaled back version from the original plans 7-8 years ago. And it'll have to get through the Smyrna City Council vote, which has already nixed several proposals from other developers.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:02 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
My understanding is that Ward 3 has an open house this Thursday where Halpern will be discussing their properties. I don't have Facebook access right now to confirm.

I was not able to attend the Ward 2 meeting but based on the brief update that I saw, the only thing I recall was that they were still committed to a Grocery Store going into the development.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
My understanding is that Ward 3 has an open house this Thursday where Halpern will be discussing their properties. I don't have Facebook access right now to confirm.

I was not able to attend the Ward 2 meeting but based on the brief update that I saw, the only thing I recall was that they were still committed to a Grocery Store going into the development.
Thanks Lori, I was able to find the info about Thursday on Facebook due to that comment. Maybe we'll get some clarification after tomorrow night.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post

Good info. Thank you.

Hope it works on the grocery. From what I've been told, it might have to be Whole Foods or Trader Joe's because Publix says they are saturated in the area and Kroger has made big investments to Cumberland Mall and S.Cobb/Concord.

Earth Fare was supposedly slated for Parkway Pointe, but that didn't happen and perhaps they could be interested.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:23 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,005 times
Wouldn't mind seeing a flagship (if there is such a thing) Walmart Neighborhood Market go there. Might not be preferable to a more upscale store, but some of that NE section of Smyrna isn't all that upscale anyway. There is one on Powder Springs St, one on Austell Rd and a regular Walmart on 41, so the Jonquil location might still be too close to do well.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:26 PM

I know for my wife and I, we're crossing our fingers (and repeatedly sending emails to corporate) for a Trader Joes. Seems perfect...

Old 07-08-2015, 01:23 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Good info. Thank you.

Hope it works on the grocery. From what I've been told, it might have to be Whole Foods or Trader Joe's because Publix says they are saturated in the area and Kroger has made big investments to Cumberland Mall and S.Cobb/Concord.

Earth Fare was supposedly slated for Parkway Pointe, but that didn't happen and perhaps they could be interested.
Have we confirmed whether Whole Foods bought the Cumberland UMC property. That was the rumor but then a friend mentioned to me that it was not actually Whole Foods but something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta