Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 04:57 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
MARTA keeping base fare at $2.50

"MARTA’s Board of Directors unanimously approved a fiscal 2017 budget Thursday that holds the line on bus and rail fares for the fifth year in a row.

Not only will MARTA keep the base fare at $2.50. The system soon will introduce an initiative to reduce the cost of a monthly pass through an arrangement with MARTA’s corporate partners, MARTA General Manager and CEO Keith Parker said..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...e-at-2-50.html
Great news.

I'm so glad they're not going to zone-based fares, which would probably double the cost of riding to the airport from my closest station (Doraville).

I really like the idea of cheaper passes too - low-income riders need all the help they can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 06:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
One of the interesting tid-bits at tonights MARTA expansion meeting: They are working on adding scanners to all the stations so you will be able to buy fares on your smartphone or venues / festivals could include free MARTA fare as part of their ticket.
Why didn't I run into you? It was a great meeting and I am excited for this city.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Which is an awesome idea. For that day, or for the weekend of an event, your badge has a 3 day MARTA pass on it. Like... Dragoncon, or sporting events, or maybe even hotel room keys (though NFC) might be better for that.
Hopefully the price of the ticket will include a discounted fare and it will not be 100% free, but yes it is a cool and innovative idea that not even DC or MTA are using.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:35 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why didn't I run into you? It was a great meeting and I am excited for this city.
I was standing in the back. Very popular meeting! It is exciting times for the city.

Everything proposed for the lists seems great, except for the few vehicle capacity improvements that are waste I think I could be happy with most any combination of proposed projects they could put together. With that said, I am happy to hear that they answered the "Will Beltline transit be on the list?" question with a definitive "Yes".

Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I was standing in the back. Very popular meeting! It is exciting times for the city.

Everything proposed for the lists seems great, except for the few vehicle capacity improvements that are waste I think I could be happy with most any combination of proposed projects they could put together. With that said, I am happy to hear that they answered the "Will Beltline transit be on the list?" question with a definitive "Yes".
So much good last night. Paul Morris stating that YES transit is 100% part of The BeltLine. Keith Parker completely destroying the talk about autonomous cars making transit irrelevant in 10 years. Tim Keane talking about alternative transportation is not just for those who don't want to drive, but also helps those that prefer to drive. Paul Morris speech made me tear up a little, I felt he deserved a standing ovation after that one.
But let's take this convo to the other thread.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:54 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,726,131 times
Quote:

I'm assuming they just mean a part of the Beltline transit, right? Or is it the whole thing? I saw the resources FourthWarden posted that made it look like the city tax would fund all Beltline trails, and MARTA would fund all Beltline transit? Is this what was presented, or will it be piecemeal?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:53 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,994 times
Quote:
One of the interesting tid-bits at tonights MARTA expansion meeting: They are working on adding scanners to all the stations so you will be able to buy fares on your smartphone or venues / festivals could include free MARTA fare as part of their ticket.
I've always thought this should be done. It's a great idea and makes it easier for out of towners who aren't familiar with using the MARTA system. It also encourages families to use MARTA because the idea of paying $5.00 round trip x 4 or 6 people provides somewhat of a mental barrier. Having the fare built in makes it a done deal.

I'm also glad that we continue to not use zone-based fares. While that makes it less "fair" for people traveling short distances, it does remove a barrier to users because there is no need to figure out how much a trip costs. When I used the system in DC I found it difficult to purchase a ticket due to having to figure out the zone system and planning for this station or that ahead of time. I had to have a ticket agent help me, telling her my plan and where I thought I might be traveling. She told me it would be cheaper to buy per trip than a day pass. A lot of people would probably not bother going through all that, and just use Uber or hail a cab instead.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I'm assuming they just mean a part of the Beltline transit, right? Or is it the whole thing? I saw the resources FourthWarden posted that made it look like the city tax would fund all Beltline trails, and MARTA would fund all Beltline transit? Is this what was presented, or will it be piecemeal?
I am actually shocked you were not in attendance.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:48 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Another heavy hitter (and Republican) voices support for getting MARTA rail extended into North Fulton: Your Daily Jolt: Johnny Isakson says ‘voters there’ on mass transit | Political Insider blog

Quote:
“Mass transit is a part of the puzzle. It’s not the end-all solution. It’s certainly part of the solution,” Isakson began. “You can’t pave enough lanes to solve the problem.”

That sentiment alone, coming in the middle of a general election campaign, would be worth citing as an example of how much Republican thought has changed on the topic in just a few short years.

But Isakson went a step further, and seemed to take note of the recent survival of state Sen. Brandon Beach, R-Alpharetta, who beat back a primary challenge after sponsoring a bill that would have permitted MARTA to send a rail line across the Chattahoochee River and deep into north Fulton County. Said Isakson...
Good to see this mentality catching on. It is impossible for the metro of our size to effectively function with 90%+ of trips being done by car.

Hopefully this finally gets done in next years' legislative session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta