Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 07:03 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1324 View Post
Kennesaw is not rural at all, it is very suburban, and as many have pointed out has a large and growing non white population... It's actually very diverse.

Cobb county is one of the most controversial places to discuss here.... Many hate everything Cobb while others love it. You'll get very polarizing opinions here.
I've notice a modicum of that dynamic, though I seldom visit this forum. It does make one wonder why some hate Cobb County. What are the typical reasons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
But that flag is mighty popular in New Orleans...Confederate flag demand spikes in New Orleans area | NOLA.com
Not quite: Let me google that for you

...also, Metairie isn't New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
Kennesaw is one of the more outer suburbs, so you're going to get some "old south." Kennesaw also had an issue where they wouldn't let a mosque open in the city (they later approved it, but only after legal threats).

Don't forget that you'll still be in the south so as soon as you leave the Atlanta bubble, you'll be in country bumpkin land.
Ok got it. How far out would you say the "Atlanta bubble" extends in each direction? My wife isn't too keen on the idea of living in the city, but I'd at least prefer close proximity. As you've mentioned, being closer to the city lends less to the "old south" mentality I/we loathe.

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 07-26-2015 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 07:58 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post

Ok got it. How far out would you say the "Atlanta bubble" extends in each direction? My wife isn't too keen on the idea of living in the city, but I'd at least prefer close proximity. As you've mentioned, being closer to the city lends less to the "old south" mentality I/we loathe.
Kennesaw isn't it if that's what you're wondering. I'd say past Lake Allatoona on 75 gets you into more typical southern land. It also depends on which suburbs. The northern burbs in general are much more mixed. Some of the western burbs like Douglasville and definitely when you get out towards Villa Rica things seem to be more southern. Anything north of Atlanta on 75, 400 and 85 and you'll have to go pretty far out.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:27 AM

120 posts, read 119,265 times
To really feel more rural you need to get out to Paulding Co in my opinion

Old 07-27-2015, 07:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Why is Kennesaw's idea of pedestrian friendly building a tunnel under the tracks and removing people from the streets of downtown? How is routing ped traffic around the business district going to help that area thrive?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:29 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why is Kennesaw's idea of pedestrian friendly building a tunnel under the tracks and removing people from the streets of downtown? How is routing ped traffic around the business district going to help that area thrive?
Have you visited the area of which you speak?

I ask because your assessment has no basis in the actual footprint and functionality of the area.

Now, back to the OP's original topic ...

Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,005 times
Part of the recent animosity against Cobb County is that the Braves are leaving Atlanta and building a new stadium in the Cumberland area. There is also of course the whole MARTA thing, which both Cobb and Gwinnett County chose not to join Fulton and DeKalb in building and maintaining. The reasons behind that are partially due to some of that close-mindedness I referred to earlier.

Have to reiterate though, that the biggest concern of where to live should be proximity to work, and quality of schools if that applies. After that, you can think about which neighborhood you all are best suited to, and can afford. Also have to say that it somewhat saddens me that New Orleans isn't working for you, only been a couple times but absolutely loved the vibe, and not just in the typical tourist areas.

One last tidbit, not all bumpkins are bad, just saying.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Have you visited the area of which you speak?

I ask because your assessment has no basis in the actual footprint and functionality of the area.

Now, back to the OP's original topic ...
Yes, I have to frequent the area to retrieve crash records from Kennesaw PD. I noticed the tunnel under tracks the wondered why they would want to route visitors around the main business area?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes, I have to frequent the area to retrieve crash records from Kennesaw PD. I noticed the tunnel under tracks the wondered why they would want to route visitors around the main business area?
Did you miss all of the sidewalks throughout the area?

Are you suggesting those are not made for walking?

The Kennesaw master plan prioritizes walkability within the redeveloping district. I am really confused by your assessment. The next time you're there, start walking along the sidewalks and see if you are really detoured from businesses.

Also, going under a tunnel is safer than crossing railroad tracks on foot.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Did you miss all of the sidewalks throughout the area?

Are you suggesting those are not made for walking?

The Kennesaw master plan prioritizes walkability within the redeveloping district. I am really confused by your assessment. The next time you're there, start walking along the sidewalks and see if you are really detoured from businesses.

Also, going under a tunnel is safer than crossing railroad tracks on foot.
There are gates that lower to prevent people from crossing in front of a train. I just see the tunnel as funneling people away from the business core, not on purpose, but because it is thought as being safer. Yes Kennesaw has sidewalks in their downtown, as do many historic city centers because they developed as compact, walkable cities before the popularity of the car. It appears the owners of the railroad got lazy and did not build a dedicated sidewalk across the tracks and just put extra asphalt down.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 AM

The railroad tunnel also provides direct, safe access to the Depot Park. From there, people can cross the street to reach the Southern Railroad Museum. I am pretty confident those were factors as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta