Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 05:08 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times

Advertisements

This is not pedestrian related, but the streetcar almost cut in front of me where it makes that left on Peachtree St. We were both waiting for the light to change, and I just got past it before it veered over. It does have a very loud horn. I seriously doubt anyone walking will get hit by it, unless they're completely oblivious to their surroundings or extremely inebriated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:45 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
People are not used to streetcars. I love them, but have to say that someday someone is going to not pay attention to where the track is and be hit. How do you think everyone will react?
Lets hope for the safety of the person, that this never happens to anyone. Something like that could be very deadly. Net dragon are you seriously hoping this happens?

Old 08-08-2015, 07:58 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Shouldn't you be more worried about people passing out from waiting in traffic to see the Cobb Braves?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:26 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
It's easy to see, but some bimbo is going to get hit while chatting on their cell phone. I'm just curious how people will react. Will there be some anti-streetcar outcry? How did it go down in other places that already have streetcars?
The fact that you opened this thread just for fearmongering about the streetcar is bad enough, but we could really live without the extra layer of sexism on top, Mr. Trump.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:43 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
This is not pedestrian related, but the streetcar almost cut in front of me where it makes that left on Peachtree St. We were both waiting for the light to change, and I just got past it before it veered over. It does have a very loud horn. I seriously doubt anyone walking will get hit by it, unless they're completely oblivious to their surroundings or extremely inebriated.
This is sarcasm,right? It's hard to tell, but I hope it is. If not, the streetcar doesn't have the ability to "almost cut in front of me" or "veer over". If you haven't noticed, there are tracks laid in the road. If you follow traffic laws, the streetcar can't and won't hit you. You can easily predict, unlike with a car, where it will be at all times, because it can't veer off the tracks that are clearly visible in the road. If any car is hit by a streetcar, I'd wager to guess that the driver wasn't paying attention. At that specific intersection where it turns from Peachtree onto Ellis, it even has its own light.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:44 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
This is sarcasm,right? It's hard to tell, but I hope it is. If not, the streetcar doesn't have the ability to "almost cut in front of me" or "veer over". If you haven't noticed, there are tracks laid in the road. If you follow traffic laws, the streetcar can't and won't hit you. You can easily predict, unlike with a car, where it will be at all times, because it can't veer off the tracks that are clearly visible in the road. If any car is hit by a streetcar, I'd wager to guess that the driver wasn't paying attention. At that specific intersection where it turns from Peachtree onto Ellis, it even has its own light.
Apologies, veered does give the wrong impression, and yes, the streetcar is definitely on tracks.

May have not been paying close enough attention (the streetcar is tall and may have blocked the view of the other light?), but could have swore that it changed green for both lanes to go and was just able to make it through the intersection before the streetcar crossed the lane I was in, to make that turn. In retrospect, doesn't make sense that it should be that way.

Have to confess was in a hurry and it was the first time for me to be in that exact situation, so next time will be more careful. And no, for the record, was not on the phone.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:04 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
People are not used to streetcars. I love them, but have to say that someday someone is going to not pay attention to where the track is and be hit. How do you think everyone will react?
People who don't like the streetcar will say, "See, I told you so." Those who like it will say, "Its stupid pedestrians." (even if it happens to be the streetcars fault). And they will try to make it safer, but not much else will change. People's opinions won't change.

That's exactly the reaction in Houston as cars or people collided with the light rail.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:25 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
It's easy to see, but some bimbo is going to get hit while chatting on their cell phone. I'm just curious how people will react. Will there be some anti-streetcar outcry? How did it go down in other places that already have streetcars?
Talking on the phone while driving downtown is a deathwish. Way too many one way streets, way too many pedestrians who dont respect crosswalks and too many 3 way or 5 way crossings. I wont say I feel bad if it happened, but either use the trains or stay focused when in the city.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:58 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Talking on the phone while driving downtown is a deathwish. Way too many one way streets, way too many pedestrians who dont respect crosswalks and too many 3 way or 5 way crossings. I wont say I feel bad if it happened, but either use the trains or stay focused when in the city.
Crosswalks aren't the only legal place for pedestrians to cross the street, but when they're in one they have the right of way, not your car. So yes, it's definitely best to keep the phone put away.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Are you referring to when the streetcar turns left at Peachtree and Ellis? Do know that turn movements for the streetcar is controlled by it's own signal. Are you sure you didn't run a yellow light?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta