Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:21 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,392,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Yes! She even gets a pension! By the way she is in her late 40s.....
then yeah - I sure as hell wouldn't give all of that up to try my luck in Atlanta - we don't generally have that type of job here. You can make 100K at a corporation and get no pension, or you can make 60-80K at a public agency and maybe get a pension, provided they don't phase over to 403bs before you get vested.

I would put in another 10 years at her current gig, retire and get the pension - then come down here to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 09:21 AM

4,544 posts, read 3,918,113 times
So you (AFDINATL) are agreeing with her that it's easy???

Old 08-18-2015, 09:28 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,802,265 times
Quote:
So you (AFDINATL) are agreeing with her that it's easy???

Atlanta has a lot of IT jobs especially on the northside of town. She shouldn't have a problem finding a job here. Information Technology Jobs, Employment in Atlanta, GA | Indeed.com

Tell her to use you address and apply for some jobs to get a feel for it.

If she wants to move she should. We only live once.

Like I said if she wanted to move here so she can play for the Atlanta Dream or to start a country band I would tell her not to move here but working in IT is a safe career field here

Old 08-18-2015, 09:35 AM

Yeah but she has a lot of demands/requirements. She needs at least $100,000. She needs a job with cheap health insurance for her family. She needs a job with no commute in order to shuttle her kids to and from school/activities. She will not be happy in a job where she has to work nights/weekends. She doesn't handle stress well, etc.

Basically she requires a job equal to her current cushy job, but in Atlanta.

I think her expectations are out of wack but yes maybe I am a dream killer...

Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah but she has a lot of demands/requirements. She needs at least $100,000. She needs a job with cheap health insurance for her family. She needs a job with no commute in order to shuttle her kids to and from school/activities. She will not be happy in a job where she has to work nights/weekends. She doesn't handle stress well, etc.

If she has kids to take care of, she absolutely should not move without a job.

That's for single people.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Yes she does. Two kids, 6 and 8. And they would be without health insurance/benefits while she finds this theoretical easy to get high paying job.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:47 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,802,265 times
Quote:

Everybody is different. If it was me I would move. Im sure she has some money saved up. It shouldnt be hard for her to send out some resumes with your Atlanta address on it. I was strictly talking about the amount of IT jobs in Atlanta. I can't give advice on her personal stuff

Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,838,939 times
It the early 2000s, it was easy to get an IT job in Atlanta that paid well. A lot of people specifically opted for consultant work because it paid more than a full time/permanent position because dermand was high/supply was low and you could much as for what you wanted and get it.

As for how things are now, her first issue is going to be not having a degree. She should sort that out before she moves if she's hell bent on moving. For better or worse, companies don't really bend over backwards for experience and hiring a manager with 10+ years of experience and no degree will not put her anywhere near the head of the pack.

The second issue which circles back to what I just said is that competition is stiff. It is unlikely she's going to get paid more than someone half her age who is willing to work for less. Short of having made contacts in the area over the years, she is picking an especially tough row to hoe.

I could go on and on, but I think she may be having a mid-life crisis. She needs to take a deep breath, pull herself together, and get a position before she moves. What's the rash behavior about? If she thinks it's so easy to get one, then she should have no problem getting one before she moves.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:00 AM

She does have a BA degree, but not in IT. She has a degree in creative writing.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
It the early 2000s, it was easy to get an IT job in Atlanta that paid well. A lot of people specifically opted for consultant work because it paid more than a full time/permanent position because dermand was high/supply was low and you could much as for what you wanted and get it.

As for how things are now, her first issue is going to be not having a degree. She should sort that out before she moves if she's hell bent on moving. For better or worse, companies don't really bend over backwards for experience and hiring a manager with 10+ years of experience and no degree will not put her anywhere near the head of the pack.

The second issue which circles back to what I just said is that competition is stiff. It is unlikely she's going to get paid more than someone half her age who is willing to work for less. Short of having made contacts in the area over the years, she is picking an especially tough row to hoe.

I could go on and on, but I think she may be having a mid-life crisis. She needs to take a deep breath, pull herself together, and get a position before she moves. What's the rash behavior about? If she thinks it's so easy to get one, then she should have no problem getting one before she moves.

Agreed.

And even then - the consultant gigs were if you were a developer. They were never really 'management' jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: