Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Excellent points. This area of Atlanta has a great street grid, close to all amenities, has MARTA rail access, and is in a great position to see investment.

It is also in the next phase of the streetcar expansion if it takes off and gets done. The streetcar, last I saw of the plans, were set to go down Hollowell/Bankhead, about 2 blocks from my house. I lived in the part of the neighborhood near Northside Dr and Hollowell. People don't realize how close this area is to the nicer areas on Marietta St. We frequently walked over there to all the great restaurants and shops.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:33 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I mean it's pretty obvious. That area has been a drug haven for decades, now all of a sudden they care about the drugs in the area.
Push the poor blacks out, use DRUGS as the scapegoat. Its like West Midtown all over again.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:44 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Push the poor blacks out, use DRUGS as the scapegoat. Its like West Midtown all over again.
You know what, you are right.

GUYS... HEY GUYS! CANCEL THE CLEANUP. WE'RE JUST GONNA LEAVE IT BE, IT'S BETTER THAT WAY.

I don't get this. This neighborhood wasn't designed to be the way it is. It is the way it is due to neglect and some nasty racial division. They are finally receiving some attention by removing abandoned structures that are havens for addicts, people who don't live there, and criminals. Police are going through and sweeping up the criminals that make the place what it is. I doubt it is permanent, but it's something that shows the criminals that it isn't their territory. It's disrupting their business.

Regardless, to desire these things not to happen is rather malicious to the people who call English Ave home. Desire for the status quo, yeah...no thanks.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:24 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
Cleaning up a drug-infested area equates to racism to you? Are you saying ALL blacks are drug dealers?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:06 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i honestly believe all drugs that don't cause irreparable harm to a person should be legal. they can set up dispensaries where they have to scan your driver's license, and you can only have a certain amount per day; ie: no overdoses. the drugs are labelled and certified pure by the FDA, and are taxed at 10%. the tax money goes towards helping people with addiction— this is essentially what we do with alcohol, but with a limit on how much you can buy.
I go along with most of what ou said.

Before I read the article, I honestly thought they were referring to weed. I have never seen anyone use heroin except on the movies. I have seen open weed smoking in clubs, on the street, in parking lots, outside of gas stations, in breezways, on balconies, in cars, and even in my place by an ex lol.

I thought heroin was like a 70s thing. I know there seemed to be an issue with grunge fashion models later, oh and also Amy Winehouse, but is heroin even really a popular thing now?

At any rate, I think trying to prevent a new generation of future methadone clinic patients is a good idea.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Cleaning up a drug-infested area equates to racism to you? Are you saying ALL blacks are drug dealers?
no

Old 08-23-2015, 12:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Oh, really? Then explain the long-term black residents that were out in the streets last week cheering the demolition of those bombed out houses and apartments.

Everything isn't always some nefarious 'plot,' including what happened to West Midtown. Almost all of the new development there replaced industrial uses, not residential.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:02 PM

Its still a lot of undeveloped land in Buckhead and Midtown, they should continue to develop those areas and leave the others how they are. Gentrification must stop somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta