Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:58 AM

10 posts, read 9,206 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I've read so much about Georgia on these boards and I thank everyone who gives such great advice to people like me who are kinda lost in making such a huge decision of moving to a new state.

I've been in SFla for 7 years now and ready to make a move to a more affordable lifestyle. It's overwhelming to say the least because GA has so much to offer. I'm not a city girl at all I LOVE quiet but would like to find a place where we can have a quiet suburb but still be able to walk and get coffee or dinner close by. Being close to a lake and walking trails would be great as well if possible. Can you recommend any areas that offer this? My concerns are safety, budget $300,000.00 don't like HOA's but maybe not a deal breaker , job is not an issue and no kids yet but would like a good school system for future children.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Oh yes, most in-town neighborhoods offer this! You should check out neighborhoods along the Beltline! Sounds exactly what you are looking for.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 AM

In town, does that mean closer to Atlanta the city? I'm more of a suburbs girl. What neighborhoods are in the beltline? Thanks for your help! 😃

Old 09-28-2015, 08:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelylove View Post
In town, does that mean closer to Atlanta the city? I'm more of a suburbs girl. What neighborhoods are in the beltline? Thanks for your help! 😃
Intown usually references areas ITP or Inside the Perimeter (I-285). They are more urban in nature and therefore offer walkable areas with access to restaurants, retail, etc. There are not a lot of areas in the suburbs that offer walkable areas, most places are accessible by car, the people can walk around; eg: lifestyle centers.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:14 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
In town, does that mean closer to Atlanta the city? I'm more of a suburbs girl.
If you'd like something more suburban I'd consider areas like Duluth, Brookhaven, Decatur, Roswell, Marietta, Woodstock.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:30 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Quote:
What neighborhoods are in the beltline? Thanks for your help! ��
The Beltline connects 42 different neighborhoods. Those along the Eastside are probably in line with what you are looking for: Neighborhoods // Atlanta BeltLine

Pick a sunny day and go for a walk along the eastside Betline trail and see if it is what you have in mind. Even if not it is a great way to spend a scenic few hours!

Old 09-28-2015, 09:53 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,316,251 times
I second arjay's comments, as I often do. If you're looking for a suburb, there are certainly some walkable ones to be had. The two best examples are Decatur (though touching anything around $300k anywhere near downtown Decatur is nearly impossible these days) and Downtown Marietta, which has over 50 shops, restaurants, galleries, theaters and museums on its historic town Square, plus frequent festivals, concerts and whatnot right there on the Square, too. There's something going on there almost every single weekend, in addition to one of the largest open-air weekend farmer's markets in the entire region. The real estate market here is quite hot but it's still possible to find houses within walking distance of the Square within your price range, though they might be relatively small or need some updates. (A year ago, new construction near the Square was certainly possible around $300k, but that ship has sailed.) Full disclosure : I am not a real estate agent, nor am I related to one. I am just a very happy resident who discovered, along with my wife, how much fun it is to live in the downtown area of this little city just over a year ago, after nearly two decades in another part of the metro area.

Note that both Marietta and Decatur are relatively small cities and areas that have them for their mailing addresses extend miles and miles beyond their city limits, so if you want to be close to their walkable areas, you need to look and a map and see just what part of "Marietta" or "Decatur" any potential houses are in.

cqholt is correct that there are not many places outside the Perimeter that have truly walkable areas and real downtowns, but Marietta is one, and, as arjay said, so are Woodstock, Duluth, and Roswell. (Decatur is actually ITP.) And in truth, most areas ITP aren't actually walkable, either, though certainly some are.

Good luck in your search, and I hope you find what you're looking for. Let us know if you have further questions!

Old 09-28-2015, 11:22 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,396,965 times
You might also consider a few of the towns that are farther away from the city. The Beltline neighborhoods that have been referenced in a few posts are in the city proper. Consider Canton, Greensboro, Woodstock. They are not in the city (actually miles away), are quiet, offer nice amenities, walkable and nice.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:31 AM

Wow guys thank you so much! Head spinning. GA just has so much to offer! I'll be visiting the end of October so I'm just trying to hone in on areas to visit and eventually make a purchase.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:08 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,563,482 times
Requirements:

- quiet suburb
- within walking distance of restaurants/coffee
- close to a lake and walking trails
- averse to HOAs
- safety
- $300K budget

I'd say either of Buford or Sugar Hill [right next to each other] would be a good start. A few miles from Lake Lanier. There is still plenty of housing to be found that is not under HOA governance. I'd add Suwanee to the list if a HOA isn't a dealbreaker, though you'd be getting further away from Lake Lanier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta