Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,417 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I am a 27 year old graduate student from Califonia. I will be moving to Lincoln in August for an internship at the Nebraska Mental Health Center. Since I will be moving by myself I am hoping to leave near an area where there are people nearby. I would prefer to live within walking distance of coffeeshops or restaurants. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what specific areas (even as specific as what streets) are good to live on and are closest to shops etc. Thanks for your help. Any other tips about living in lincoln would be greatly appreciated as well.

Lynda

PS What is the weather like there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,151,363 times
Thats kinda tough, Lincoln really is a car city, even though they do have a great trails system. Probably your best bet would be near downtown and the college, but then you would have a really bad commute to the health center (if I'm thinkin right it is around 84th and Pioneers). You could check into living near the malls (66th and O or 27th and Pine Lake areas). Lincoln is really a nice city that feels smaller. There are some Lincolnites on here, they can hopefully help you better with areas.

The weather is a little bit of everything. It gets cold in the winter, hot in the summer. We get a decent amount of snow per year. Spring is nice but also brings severe weather. You really get a variety here and if you don't like it, it will change in about 10 minutes!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:01 PM

Thank you so much this is very helpful.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:49 PM

35 posts, read 106,758 times
I've lived in Lincoln 30 years and have no idea, but ......Where is the Nebraska Mental Health Center?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 PM

35 posts, read 106,758 times
And were you planning on using a car?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 PM

300 posts, read 1,180,018 times
tpabes is completely right. Lincoln is a HUGE car city. The buses may help, but they only run until like 6 or 7pm and they don't run on weekends. (I dont think.) And tpabes is right again in saying that downtown or around UNL would be the best bet. The Haymarket is great too, but I think there's a waiting list to live down there. Lincoln is pretty sporadic. There are small areas that have coffeeshops and restaurants in one given area, but it's hard to find them.
A good area would be maybe down by 27th and Pine Lake. That would be close to your work (I think its 84th and Pioneers) but alot of families live around there.
So for what you are looking for I would suggest living downtown or the Haymarket. Careful of the areas near downtown though. Just a few blocks south of "O" Street it gets iffy.
Good luck! I wish I could be more help!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:39 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,872,492 times
If your definition of a walk means within one mile just about anywhere in Lincoln would be within one mile of either a coffee shop or some kind of food service. The Haymarket area and downtown have the highest concentrations. There are quite a few condos and apartments in the downtown area and the central hub for the TransStar city busses are at 11th & N. If you aren't in a big hurry to get where you are going TransStar can get you most places during the week and between 6 AM to 6 PM. Weekends? Forget it.

The bike trails in Lincoln are fantastic and when I was physically able to ride I could have survived without a car. The trails are filled with bikers, joggers and walkers also.

GL2

Old 02-29-2008, 03:52 PM

43 posts, read 138,077 times
busses do run on the weekends... they are limited...but they do run. Also... you may want to try University Place or College View, or Havelock has shops and cafes near.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:15 PM

thank you all for your input. I will be getting a car and am ok with driving. I just want to make sure that I'm not to isolated since I will be living alone. I hope that by leaving closer to shops and other such places I will be a bit more social. (My tendency is to be hermit because I'm a bit shy.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: