Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 50,373 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Georgia and are looking for a well establish neighborhood in which the majority of residence are African American. Low crime rate area with easy access to hospitals, parks and stores. A community in which the residence take pride in their homes and culture. A family community. This would be a retirement home and our primary residence. We will be relocating from California. Our ages are 57 and 63. Our budget is between 250K - 400K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 42,880 times
I have been in ATL for 10 years and has had a taste of various parts of the city. Downtown or Midtown ATL is always a great place to live but can be expensive. For a more family oriented, nice parks, schools and better community...I would suggest Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell or Alpharetta. They are all fairly close to each other. Sandy Springs, Roswell and Alpharetta all are within Fulton County which I think has the highest county taxes. Dunwoody is in Dekalb County which is still up there in taxes but they are all GREAT area. They are safe and just beautiful places located 15 - 25 mins from Downtown ATL.

You can find homes within those ranges it really just depends on what you are lloking for. Homes within these areas can easily run into the millions.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 PM

Actually we are not really looking for a large home. 2800 sq ft would do just fine. 4+ bedrooms - one w/a fireplace and 2+ bathroom. Manicured lawn and neighborhood. Would purchase a smaller home in a great neighborhood. Nothing to large but nice landscaping. Something that two seniors can kick around in and enjoy life. Our budget could go up to 500K if necessary. Thanks for the info.

Any other comments from others is welcomed.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:24 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiabery View Post
[color=black]I have been in ATL for 10 years and has had a taste of various parts of the city. Downtown or Midtown ATL is always a great place to live but can be expensive. For a more family oriented, nice parks, schools and better community...I would suggest Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell or Alpharetta. They are all fairly close to each other. Sandy Springs, Roswell and Alpharetta all are within Fulton County which I think has the highest county taxes.
The towns you've listed are all pretty lily-white, as opposed to the "majority African American" areas that the OP was looking for. For majority AA in that sort of price range, I'd look down in South Fulton along South Fulton Parkway- the area is historically AA, though there's been some influx of other races as the area has built up. I'd say that you could probably find 2800 SF in your price range and be satisfied with the racial makeup there.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 AM

19 posts, read 54,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrienneali View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to Georgia and are looking for a well establish neighborhood in which the majority of residence are African American.
"I'm looking for neighborhood where the majority of residents are white Americans."

It's funny how when you flip that comment around it sounds pretty darn racist to me... I guess it’s because I live in a neighborhood that has black AND white people living together. I don't get why people voluntarily segregate themselves.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,588 times
Default It's fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj View Post
"I'm looking for neighborhood where the majority of residents are white Americans."

It's funny how when you flip that comment around it sounds pretty darn racist to me... I guess it’s because I live in a neighborhood that has black AND white people living together. I don't get why people voluntarily segregate themselves.
I don't consider either statements racist at all coming from a Black or White person. It's a free country and people can choose to live where they want to live. Personally, I would prefer to live in a more diverse area but I wouldn't fault or look down on anyone for wanting to live close to their own race.

Getting back to the Original Poster's question. I would suggest the Cascade Area right outside of 285 (Which is basically staying on Cascade Road outside of 285 and past Fairburn Road. The area is very nice and home to many Civil Rights pioneers, Lawyers, Doctors of Atlanta. It's more of the old money area of Black Atlanta versus the new money of Stone Mountain, Lithonia & South Fulton/Camp Creek areas. The Cascade area is very stable close to the city and has everything you want within driving distance and the community is very established which is key. As a fellow Californian I highly recomend this area. You should be able to find a new home or a resale within your price range.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 01-30-2008 at 12:36 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj View Post

Let's not start that argument again- I don't know how many times we've been down that road here alrady, but it's getting old.....

Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 PM

[SIZE=3]Since I am the one who originally posted the inquiry of where to live in Georgia, I’d like to comment on the following emails. Pbandi, no I am not a racist, I just prefer to live around people that look like me. I see nothing wrong with that. Thank you Atlantasfinest for your insight, and I agree w/Bobkovacs – lets not go down that road again. Yes, I would love to live in a predominately African American neighborhood, however an ethnically diverse community would work just as well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Now getting back to my original request. All I want is what everyone wants. To live out my life in a community where I feel comfortable and safe. A community in which the residence take pride in their homes and there is a feeling of family. Low crime - somehow people think that when you say black community and low crime that the two just don’t go together, and I refuse to accept that. In my circle of friends and family there are all races so the race talk going back-and-forth is really not necessary or acceptable. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]We plan on visiting Georgia in the near future and just want to know where we should look with the specifications I have listed. All replies are welcomed.[/SIZE]

Old 01-30-2008, 02:03 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,588 times
Once again, Cascade Heights but outside right outside of 285 is your best bet for the Cascade Area. Many people in your same age range, affluent, safe and family orientated with shopping and entertainment at your fingertips and various nodes of transportation (285, 20 and 166 and streets to drive in and around town). I'm from Ladera Heights Ladera Heights, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Cascade is somewhat comparable to Ladera in my opinion but unfortunately without the beaches nearby .

Many agents might steer you to the less expensive South Fulton, Lithonia or Stone Mountain area but Cascade is your best bet. It's been the most affluent African-American area since the late 60's. Here are some good links for subdivisions in the specific area.

Guilford Forest Atlanta Homes For Sale in Fulton County 30331

The Highlands at Guilford Forest | Neighborhood | Atlanta, Ga | John Wieland Homes

Cascade Real Estate and Homes for Sale in Fulton County, Georgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta