Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:46 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
No, no, no! There's virtually no resemblance between the dynamics of metro Detroit & metro Atlanta nor between that of the City of Detroit & the City of Atlanta.

I can't believe that this discusion has gone on for this number of posts. As Fourthwarden noted @ 12:21, "Bait for the Bait God."
C'mon people, don't enable a "bait" thread!
But........you just did the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 03:04 PM

21 posts, read 31,680 times
I hate when people make threads about this. The only thing Atlanta has in common with Detroit is that we have a majority black city and relatively white suburbs. What's beyond that?

Old 10-02-2015, 03:13 PM

272 posts, read 271,902 times
There are quite a few comparisons to be made:

Both cities have a city vs state government war.

Both cities have elected leadership for racial reasons for a very long time.

Both cities didn't and don't have a backup plan for their primary economic structures. ( Detroit's being the automotive industry and Atlanta's being low cost of living / low taxes.)

Both cities lack any kind of feasible transportation system and infrastructure.

Let me put it to you this way: whenever we decide to get our act together and start taxing what we need to fix our city, the only reason companies are moving here will disappear. That's a very dangerous situation. So yes I do see a parallel between the two.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:33 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
You know, that was a pretty convincing argument by OP. I don't think I like this town anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
And maybe Westen Peachtree Plaza Hotel, looking Similar to GM Bldg, LOL... Thats about it...
Whoa. That is more than a coincidence. All the pieces are coming together. If the Westin adds on additional towers, I'm outta here.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:23 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post

Both cities didn't and don't have a backup plan for their primary economic structures. ( Detroit's being the automotive industry and Atlanta's being low cost of living / low taxes.)

Let me put it to you this way: whenever we decide to get our act together and start taxing what we need to fix our city, the only reason companies are moving here will disappear. That's a very dangerous situation. So yes I do see a parallel between the two.
Ummm no their is no "primary" economic structure to Atlanta economy. Atlanta economy is one of most diverse in the US. It's a top city many different fields again logistics, heath Care, IT, Education, Media, financial, hospitality, food service and etc they have little in common. The cities are not the same similar situations.

I knew from the jump what OP comparison was probably base on something loosely comparing African American culture between the two cities when are they had hugely different.

- In the 60's Detroit started having race riots

- In the 60's Atlanta adopted the campaign The City too Bussy to hate, In General AA leaders MLK and etc had very diffrent mindset from Detroit.

While there have been has racial tension it's no where near as blatantly as Detroit. Also saying leaders are elected for racial reason is a assumption.

With saying that bring me to my next point

- Detroit in general has very very very bad leadership

- Atlanta has had some but no way on earth can you compare Detroit has largest bankruptcy in the US. Mean while Atlanta city is in a surplus.............. leaders has attract the Olympics, lure many companies, revitalize neighborhoods at has clear invested more in the city. Detroit doesn't have projects like Beltline. Then the white population in Atlanta is increasing. Both cities have had mainly black leadership they have had radically different outcomes. Also Atlanta has 3rd largest black student population. Comparing because of race is pointless.

The ATL region does need to improve in transit but this situation is nothing unique to the sunbelt region. Detroit lack of transit is unique to the Mid west. It's because the automotive industry in Detroit was against transit in Detroit. Marta HRT actually is actually more functional than anything in Detroit.

They have very little parallel.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:01 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
No, because the white population(mostly middle class) of Atlanta is surging and bringing a ton of money with them. It's sad they're replacing some of the more poorer black residents in a few of the neighborhoods, but at the same time, neighborhoods are being revitalized and safer.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:17 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post

These are so vaguely broad until you can say the same for several other major cities in the country.

In short, there's really no viable comparison to be made here.

And to say that the only reason companies are moving to Atlanta is because of a low cost of living and low taxes misses the mark in so many ways until it's laughable. If that's the case, then Jackson, MS would be the biggest boomtown in the U.S.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I knew from the jump what OP comparison was probably base on something loosely comparing African American culture between the two cities when are they had hugely different.

- In the 60's Detroit started having race riots

- In the 60's Atlanta adopted the campaign The City too Bussy to hate, In General AA leaders MLK and etc had very diffrent mindset from Detroit.

While there have been has racial tension it's no where near as blatantly as Detroit. Also saying leaders are elected for racial reason is a assumption.
Precisely. And Detroit actually started having riots in the 40's, then there was the one in the late 60's. Atlanta had zero riots in the mid 20th century and was one of the few cities with a sizable Black population that did not riot in the aftermath of MLK's assassination. Then you had Mayor Coleman Young in Detroit who explicitly told White folks to get out of the city of Detroit, which is exactly what they did. However, in Atlanta, Black political leadership always worked hand in hand with White business leadership to move the city forward--completely opposite strategies.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:32 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
These are so vaguely broad until you can say the same for several other major cities in the country.

In short, there's really no viable comparison to be made here.

And to say that the only reason companies are moving to Atlanta is because of a low cost of living and low taxes misses the mark in so many ways until it's laughable. If that's the case, then Jackson, MS would be the biggest boomtown in the U.S.
It's low COL/business-friendly taxes in addition to raw talent(from the multitude of schools in the Atlanta area + UGA), central location, and the airport.

It's like people forget Atlanta is a largely educated city and metro(higher than the average) with great colleges and universities that pumps out a lot of talent and skill.

There's a reason we're not seeing Birmingham, Macon, Jackson, Memphis, Mobile, or NOLA boom. It's not simply because of low cost of living and taxes.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's low COL/business-friendly taxes in addition to raw talent(from the multitude of schools in the Atlanta area + UGA), central location, and the airport.

It's like people forget Atlanta is a largely educated city and metro(higher than the average) with great colleges and universities that pumps out a lot of talent and skill.

There's a reason we're not seeing Birmingham, Macon, Jackson, Memphis, Mobile, or NOLA boom. It's not simply because of low cost of living and taxes.
THANK YOU.

And that's another major difference between Atlanta and Detroit. When the auto industry started to decline, you had a large worker pool that lacked the education and skills necessary to transition into other industries. Detroit fares poorly when it comes to higher ed for a major city, despite UM being in its metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta