Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:43 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about, but that's ok because I don't think you do either.
It's not the first time that misogyny has reared it's ugly head in this forum. Another rush to judgment based on their insecurities around the female gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,383 times
Sad to hear. Their food wasn't always the greatest, but they were good places to go to when you cared more about the scene (people-watching) than the actual food. Noche at Town Brookhaven had insane crowds every time I drove by it.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:36 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
From what I heard on the news last night and this morning, other restaurants are trying to to offer the employees jobs so hopefully, that will help in some sort of way. It's kind of difficult to determine how things will turn out because the jobs that could have gone to new people will go to a load of people who already have lots of experience.

In the grand scheme of things, I think they should have given them more notice. I mean seriously, what's the worst that could have happened? The laid-off employees would have had more time to find another job? If they did or did not find something before the last call, the restaurants still would not have stayed open.

I saw a man who worked at one of them for ten years, and he said they didn't get a check last week. That's like a violation of trust, but it certainly was a red flag. This could have been handled way better.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:52 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
This is what happen after get married and divorced. Last year after the owner divorce his wife took a couple of his restaurants in their divorce and now this happened.

Tomorrow's News Today - Atlanta: 2015 Will Bring Big Changes to Here to Serve Restaurants

Be safe out there men
Sir, that last statement is borderline misogynist rhetoric. There are men and women in this world that are looking for a "come up"...

Anyways, this is what happens when you mix business with pleasure. This has nothing to do with marriage, so stop inserting your negative sentiments towards long-term unions into this. Common sense would have told anyone that you and your spouse don't need to be involved in a business venture together regardless of whole good the relationship has been going.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Sounds like the ex-wife ran the business into the ground. Didn't pay payroll taxes or obtain workers' comp insurance? Oopsie. Now, all those people are out of jobs.
Sounds like the american way...definitely the modern american way.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,400 times
So sad to hear this news. I agree, food was not the best, well (Smash, Twist, Strip and Noche).... but from a real estate perspective, I hope they find something to fill these holes. Esp in Atlantic station and Brookhaven.... I'm sure Phipps will find something anyway with the new upgrades..... I guess divorce really can bring you all the way down....I see why people get #prenumps.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:51 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post

In the grand scheme of things, I think they should have given them more notice. I mean seriously, what's the worst that could have happened? The laid-off employees would have had more time to find another job? If they did or did not find something before the last call, the restaurants still would not have stayed open.
I worked for two different restaurants that closed with no advance notice given by the management. I think they believe (probably correctly) that if they announce a closure, the employees will jump ship while there's still two weeks worth of food, booze, and clean linens that the restaurant has paid for.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I worked for two different restaurants that closed with no advance notice given by the management. I think they believe (probably correctly) that if they announce a closure, the employees will jump ship while there's still two weeks worth of food, booze, and clean linens that the restaurant has paid for.
I understand what you're saying and agree that the employees probably would have gotten out and into anywhere else if they could.

I kind of look at it like this - if the Titanic is sinking because it hit an iceberg, then I don't see a reason to hide the life boats. It's going down, it's going to happen, and I don't see the reason for concern about providing a customer with a napkin that will be wet in a few minutes when you know what's about to happen.

Sorry to hear you worked for two restaurants that closed and screwed you on the notice.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:29 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,068 times
FB POST

"I use to work for a H2S restaurant. What happened was Tom catherall who started the restaurant group got a divorce and his wife won control over the company and as a way to stick it to her ex she shut it down even though it was quite profitable and some of the best restaurants in Atlanta. "

https://m.facebook.com/comment/repli...B0rygCT6DttxRB

Old 10-08-2015, 06:59 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
FB POST

"I use to work for a H2S restaurant. What happened was Tom catherall who started the restaurant group got a divorce and his wife won control over the company and as a way to stick it to her ex she shut it down even though it was quite profitable and some of the best restaurants in Atlanta. "

https://m.facebook.com/comment/repli...B0rygCT6DttxRB
Who's to know who came up with that hearsay? Nothing much more than idle gossip IMO. However, l would give credence to the idea of the chain's viability. Tom Catherall does enjoy a good reputation in this market, and it seems like that there are those out there in the industry that are offering their support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta