Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:02 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times

Advertisements

As far as metro ATL goes, Marietta is still good to Buckhead -- but it isn't as good as Smyrna/Vinings, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, or Brookhaven. My recommendation is to take 75 until W. Paces Ferry then take that into Buckhead. When 75 is backed up, you can try your luck with taking Windy Hill to Power's Ferry, or one exit East on 285 and then cutting through the neighborhoods from Northside Dr, but one wrong turn and you'll accidentally end up in Sandy Springs or Vinings, and not Buckhead, so I'd stick with W. Paces Ferry until you've had time to really learn the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 PM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
I lived in the 30066 zip for many years. My son went to McClesky and Lassiter. I was very happy with the area, and so was he. There were lots of nice subdivisions around that area and plenty of kids for him to play with. All in all, I would recommend that area as a good place to raise a kid.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM

10 posts, read 34,380 times
Like many others, I'm also looking to move to Georgia (atlanta area) by summer 2008. I thought I was on the right path by narrowing my choices down to 3 cities, which by what I have been reading, are wrong choices. I'm a divorced/single african american female with 3 children (ages 4-11). I want to live in an area that is family oriented and with lots of activities for children. I have a child who is a ballet dancer, and one who has started a martial arts class. I'm not rich,,,,, I guess I'm considered middle class... I'm not sure. I'm told I can't compare my salary here in California to that out in Georgia. I have family in Putnam County (Eatonton), but I would like to be near any "metro" area. Preferrebly within 1 hour in driving distance of Eatonton. I hope someone responds.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 PM

14 posts, read 67,605 times
Default Not very impressed

Ok, I was in Marietta two days ago, looking at houses in the 30066 zip code. I must say I was not very impressed because there were many unkept houses and areas around houses with fallen dry tree branches that look like a fire waiting to happen.

The whole area looked like a sleepy town with lots of auto mechanic shops.

I think I might check out Kennesaw instead, but I am very concerned about traffic. Specifically, what would traffic be like going towards I75 and going south on I75 in the morning and returning back to kennesaw in the evening.

My worksite is right on the north side of the point where I75 meets I285.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:52 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantago View Post
Ok, I was in Marietta two days ago, looking at houses in the 30066 zip code. I must say I was not very impressed because there were many unkept houses and areas around houses with fallen dry tree branches that look like a fire waiting to happen.

The whole area looked like a sleepy town with lots of auto mechanic shops.

I think I might check out Kennesaw instead, but I am very concerned about traffic. Specifically, what would traffic be like going towards I75 and going south on I75 in the morning and returning back to kennesaw in the evening.

My worksite is right on the north side of the point where I75 meets I285.
The 30066 zip code is huge! Where exactly were you looking?

The 30066 zip code stretches from the center of the Marietta city limits (Marietta High) northeast through East Cobb--including the tony+posh+scenic+affluent Sweat Mountain area...a long swath through the highly sought-after Lassiter, Kell, and Sprayberry High School Districts.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The 30066 zip code is huge! Where exactly were you looking?

The 30066 zip code stretches from the center of the Marietta city limits (Marietta High) northeast through East Cobb--including the tony+posh+scenic+affluent Sweat Mountain area...a long swath through the highly sought-after Lassiter, Kell, and Sprayberry High School Districts.
I am not sure of what divisions I visited, but the high schools for the homes I visited were Kell and Sprayberry, elementary schools were Blackwell, Keheley and Chalker

Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantago View Post
I am not sure of what divisions I visited, but the high schools for the homes I visited were Kell and Sprayberry, elementary schools were Blackwell, Keheley and Chalker
OK. Well, I hope you find what you are looking for...in Kennesaw or 30066!

Good Luck. Let me know if you'd like more details on 30066...I may be able to help.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:43 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
Try 30062. Look in Chimney Springs, nice community lake, park large pool/tennis. Great schools, nice you can find great deals.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:18 AM

78 posts, read 368,024 times
I live in Kennesaw and my sister is in Marietta (for a few more weeks.) We looked at homes in Marietta but I too was not that impressed. We got more home for our money in a nice family friendly neighborhood in Kennesaw. The schools have been great so far.

I felt that a lot of Marietta was run down, in comparison to where we are in Kennesaw. Maybe things are newer in the area of Kennesaw that we live as compared to Marietta.

I have to go downtown for work @ once a week. Our neighborhood is about 2 miles from 75. During rush hour it can take me almost 10 minutes to get to 75. Once on 75 it can be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half depending on how many wrecks or stalls have taken place.

My sister lives in Marietta, just a few miles from the square. She lives in an older neighborhood, houses built in the 70s. For a while she was working at Piedmont Hospital and she said the time it took her to get to 75 from her home was a nightmare.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:54 AM

Thanks momof2kids, I have another question. I have been looking for homes in Kennesaw, zipcode 30144. Though I saw a lot of nice homes, I must admit lots of homes were sold last year in the neighborhoods of interest. This to me is a red flag are people fleeing Kennesaw? If so what might be the reason people might be fleeing? crime, taxes, traffic, school performance declining, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta