Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:17 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Jaywalking laws need to be taken off the books. They are the perfect manifestation of this issue. They only make things more dangerous for pedestrians and burden the victim.

The secret history of jaywalking: The disturbing reason it was outlawed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 09:22 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I think it's safe to say people in general are idiots.
You nailed it.

In my opinion drivers fiddling with their phones are a huge problem. They've got two tons of steel and a couple of hundred horsepower at their fingertips.

Of course there are idiot pedestrians, too, and they may well harm themselves. The people wandering through parking lots are the ones who get me.

Fortunately, however, pedestrians only pose a risk to themselves. It's the drivers who indiscriminately put everybody else in harm's way.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I go along with what you'rw sayihg. Even if a person is not jaywalking, we tend to be looking for the same thing. I'm looking for a opening large enough to make a right turn and they are lookin for an opehig large enough to cross nthe street I have only had it happen maybe three times, but my reflexes are good.

I know it's not the coolest thing ever to wear reflective gear, but I bought my dad some light up shoe strings. He's taken to walking around a few blocks after dinner and it just needed to ber done. I'd get himn a vest or a belt, but I know there's no chance he'd wear them.
More streetlights, especially in suburban areas where there are little along roads.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You nailed it.

In my opinion drivers fiddling with their phones are a huge problem. They've got two tons of steel and a couple of hundred horsepower at their fingertips.

Of course there are idiot pedestrians, too, and they may well harm themselves. The people wandering through parking lots are the ones who get me.

Fortunately, however, pedestrians only pose a risk to themselves. It's the drivers who indiscriminately put everybody else in harm's way.
PEDs who choose to risk their life and cross a multilane road instead of using a crosswalk a 100 yards away.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:56 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Jaywalking laws need to be taken off the books. They are the perfect manifestation of this issue. They only make things more dangerous for pedestrians and burden the victim.

There should be a middle ground between the draconian use of jaywalking laws and people randomly walking out into streets. The latter is especially dangerous on highways intended primarily for fast vehicle traffic.

We need more and better sidewalks, crosswalks, traffic lights, hawk signs, etc., so that pedestrians can cross safely. But you've gotta have some rules.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:11 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Should be an opportunity for the smart phone industry and the automobile industry to step up to the plate and find a way to truly integrate both technologies.

And if it already exists, make it a mandated standard and commonplace on every vehicle.
It pretty much already exists; most new cars have Bluetooth integration. Much of the functionality is disabled while the car is in motion.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:35 AM

149 posts, read 182,314 times
Quote:

How does creating a controlled environment for cars, bicycles, and pedestrians make things more dangerous?

When I walk my dogs or jog around midtown, I only cross the street at cross walks. They are everywhere. I expect those around when I am on my bike or in my car to do the same.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:10 AM

505 posts, read 368,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Autonomous cars can't get here soon enough.
Quote:
Self-driving cars can't get here soon enough.
Looks like they still need to iron out some bugs...

Driverless Car Accident Reports Make Unhappy Reading For Humans | TechCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
There is no more perfect embodiment of entitlement than an Atlanta driver.
I dunno, SF is pretty damn close.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There should be a middle ground between the draconian use of jaywalking laws and people randomly walking out into streets. The latter is especially dangerous on highways intended primarily for fast vehicle traffic.

We need more and better sidewalks, crosswalks, traffic lights, hawk signs, etc., so that pedestrians can cross safely. But you've gotta have some rules.
Fast vehicle traffic should be restricted to freeways oy, where PEDs are currently prohibited. Roads with sidewalks, residential and commercial property should not be high speed, higher than 35mph.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordin View Post
Looks like they still need to iron out some bugs...

Driverless Car Accident Reports Make Unhappy Reading For Humans | TechCrunch
Yes, they are still getting hit by other human drivers on the road.

FTA:

Quote:
Earlier this year Google blogged about the eleven “minor accidents” its driverless cars had been involved in over six years of testing — laying the blame for all 11 incidents at the hands of the other human drivers. Which sounds great for the technology on the surface. But in reality it underlines the inherent complexities of blending two very different styles of driving — and suggests that robot cars might actually be too cautious and careful.

Combine that cautious, by-the-book approach with human drivers’ tendency to take risks and cut corners, and well, that, in itself, might indicate driverless cars’ risk aversion is an accident waiting to happen (at least when human drivers are also in the mix).
Again, the human drivers are the issue.

But I am sure they will be able to account for most of that even in the next five years given their rapid progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: