Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,778 times

Advertisements

I never use iPods and the like when I run. Just the feel of the device is distracting to me, and I run to get in better shape, not to listen to music.

Quote:
Many joggers don earbuds and listen to music to distract themselves from the rigors of running. But might the Black Eyed Peas or Rihanna distract them so much that they jog into traffic?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/us/26runners.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Who cares? A jogger running into traffic will only hurt himself. If he wants to risk death, so be it.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
I never use iPods and the like when I run. Just the feel of the device is distracting to me, and I run to get in better shape, not to listen to music.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/us/26runners.html
I have often wondered about this. Back in the day when I "tried" running as an exercise, monitoring my breathing pattern was very important. I don't know how people can run with all that noise. Not only does it block your ability to monitor breathing, but you miss many other pleasant noises as well. I knew a guy who was killed by a train running near the track because he had his "Walkman" going too loud. (How in the world he did not FELL THE VIBRATION of a train, is beyond me, but we'll never know)

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Who cares? A jogger running into traffic will only hurt himself. If he wants to risk death, so be it.
Unless said jogger crashes through your windshield injuring you.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Unless said jogger crashes through your windshield injuring you.
ok, shall we outlaw anything that can penetrate a windshield, would that make you happy? Rocks, bottles... hell, a baby can penetrate a windshield. And shall we put all deer and moose to death?

Why don't you frightened nanny state folks just stay at home in a rubber room so the rest of us don't have to legislated to death. Please, stop leaving the house.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
ok, shall we outlaw anything that can penetrate a windshield, would that make you happy? Rocks, bottles... hell, a baby can penetrate a windshield. And shall we put all deer and moose to death?

Why don't you frightened nanny state folks just stay at home in a rubber room so the rest of us don't have to legislated to death. Please, stop leaving the house.
lol, don't get your panties in a bunch. I never said more laws should be passed. Nevertheless, distracted runners can be annoying, and someone who darts into traffic may end up hurting more than themselves. How about using common sense and being alert?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:41 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,960 times
Quote:
lol, don't get your panties in a bunch. I never said more laws should be passed. Nevertheless, distracted runners can be annoying, and someone who darts into traffic may end up hurting more than themselves. How about using common sense and being alert?

I tried being alert and knowledgeable....only to have the Thought Police accost my tin foil hat. No finer hat anywhere.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,012,406 times
Quote:

Perhaps what the OP is suggesting, is that because some of these joggers purposely dawn on a pair of ear buds to distract them from the rigors of jogging, that they become unsafe for others when they are so distracted and are not paying attention.

The analogy of Moose, deer, rocks, bottles, etc. is a poor one at best, as these creatures and things do not either understand the principles of traffic, or are simply inanimate objects found in everyday life. People purposely putting on earbuds, though, is a controllable action that these folks are doing, and therefore need to be understanding that they could be a safety risk if they do not pay attention.

Besides, it was a news article from the NY Times. Take it for what it is, and quit flying into a rage over a simple post. Sheesh.

Ian

Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,974 times
windshields used to be a lot sturdier...

But headphones or not it's up to both the runner and driver to act in a safe manner. And a safe manner is to always take as much of the responsibility to not make an accident as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness