Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 05:19 AM

241 posts, read 222,289 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

Its official I'm moving to Atlanta. I'm excited I've never lived here before and a lot of my family is close by, my grandparents are in Savannah. My sister is a freshman at Spelman and my cousins live in Valdosta.

Anyways, My partner will be completing medical residency at Northside Hospital in Sandy Springs and I received an offer letter Thursday for a job paying 58k that will be (50% out of state travel and 1 day a week I get to work from home) based in Athens, GA and I received a verbal offer this Friday from a job offering 55k (25% out of state travel) based in Gainesville, GA. We MUST live within 30 to 45 mins of the hospital because he's on call. I know either way I will have a crappy commute. My job would start January 3rd but I wouldn't take roots until the end of February and my partner wouldn't come until May.

We are Looking for an updated 1 bedroom apartment with balcony near shopping, gyms, tennis, Whole Foods, seafood markets. Starbucks and recreational parks.

I'd really like to rent a condo or apartment in a small building (3 to 10 units total). He grew up on a Cattle Farm and I grew up in brownstones and highrises. So we've agreed to live somewhere in the middle (a bustling, active superb) or (a more demure part of the city) if possible.

There's a little flexibility but Is this doable with our budget and situation? And Does anybody know what's the best crossfit gym in ATL?

Here's all of our details:

1. Budget - 1k to 1400 (preferably on the lower end but I'm flexible)

2. House/Condo/Townhome? Condo/Townhouse (Rent), or Apartment. Ideally we would like a large and updated 1 bedroom or a smaller 1 bedroom with den/study and balcony.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Boyfriend, 26 will be starting residency at Northside Hospital in Sandy Springs in May and I, 25 just received a verbal offer for a job in Gainesville,GA and the offer letter for a job in Athens,GA (I know crazy commute, but I can't pass up the potential 12k pay increase. And I'm not the rural type).

4. Children(public school vs. private) None, don't plan on any in the next 5 years

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two Mix, but preference towards urban. Active, (Cocker Spaniel) Pet-Friendly, Walkable, Low Crime, Shopping.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Prefer to be within walking distance of public transit and/or less than a 5 min drive from the highway.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - Students or Young Black Professionals, Low crime, Diverse.

Last edited by IAMDWRECK; 12-18-2016 at 05:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 08:06 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,760,270 times
What are the hours for the job at Northside Hospital?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:07 AM

7 AM to 7 PM

Old 12-18-2016, 09:49 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,760,270 times
I would go with the Duluth area. Since they have to be at work at 7am they will be able to avoid rush hour. Driving north to Gainesville will be a reverse commute. I would take the Gainesville job because its easier to get to via 85 than Athens

Old 12-18-2016, 10:49 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,793,420 times
Something we should be careful about...

I'm assuming he needs to be withing 30-45 minutes of the hospital during the rush hours too, because the on call can be 24/7?

I agree about the Gainesville job, unless there is something else you know about the different jobs. You'll save yourself money by traveling less, get more acquainted with the area, and the commute will be a touch easier/shorter.

With no children, I'd really consider Brookhaven or Tucker as well. The Gainesville commute is a bit longer in both and rents are a bit higher than your price range in Brookhaven.

Norcross would also be a good middle ground. It has a charming small town downtown. The community is bi-polar. It has the region's largest industrial district in one direction and very wealthy executive housing areas in another, so some areas are a bit on the run-down side and some areas are much more affluent.

Atlanta doesn't have much in the way of brownstone style neighborhoods (just little developments that try to mimic for a townhome community, but it isn't the same), so most of your options will require you to be in the bustling suburb scenario and you might to give a bit more than him.

Expect more of a 5 minute drive to a freeway, than a walk to transit.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:38 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,950,229 times
Norcross/Peachtree City. Better to be safe than sorry for the Northside Hospital commute when on call. Getting to I-85 isn't too much of a hassle from there. Won't be walking distance to the Doraville train station but it's not that far to drive.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:58 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,546,026 times
Since you will have to live close-by to Northside Hospital in Sandy Springs because of your partner's medical residency there, one good option for you to consider might be to live in the Sandy Springs/Perimeter area that immediately surrounds the hospital area.

I am suggesting the Sandy Springs/Perimeter area because many of the amenities that you are looking for, including shopping, gyms, tennis, Starbucks, recreational parks and a Whole Foods Market, can be found in that area.

The Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center is an upscale district transitioning from suburban to urban that is loaded full of the types of amenities that you cited a desire to be near.

There are also plenty of affordable high-quality housing options in the Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center area, so finding the type of living space you desire (a one-bedroom condo/townhome or apartment) should not really be a problem.

Living in the Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center area will not only allow you and your partner to live in an area packed full of amenities only minutes away from Northside Hospital, but will also allow you to reverse-commute to your future job out in either Athens or Gainesville.

Living in the Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center area will also be a good option to consider because of the massive multi-year reconstruction project that is getting underway at the major freeway junction of Interstate 285 and Georgia 400. This project which is expected to last through 2020, will make getting in and out of the Perimeter Center area a challenge over the next 3 years or so while construction is in progress, particularly if one will be driving into the area from another part of the metro area on the freeway system.

Because the transit system in the Atlanta area is relatively extremely limited in its reach and scope, commuting by transit will unfortunately not be an option in your situation, except perhaps for the occasional trip into the city (Midtown or Downtown Atlanta) during a big event where finding parking may be a challenge.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:22 PM

222 posts, read 231,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Norcross/Peachtree City. Better to be safe than sorry for the Northside Hospital commute when on call. Getting to I-85 isn't too much of a hassle from there. Won't be walking distance to the Doraville train station but it's not that far to drive.
I think you mean Peachtree Corners.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:40 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,950,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie16 View Post
I think you mean Peachtree Corners.
Whoops! Definitely meant Peachtree Corners.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Since you will have to live close-by to Northside Hospital in Sandy Springs because of your partner's medical residency there, one good option for you to consider might be to live in the Sandy Springs/Perimeter area that immediately surrounds the hospital area.

I am suggesting the Sandy Springs/Perimeter area because many of the amenities that you are looking for, including shopping, gyms, tennis, Starbucks, recreational parks and a Whole Foods Market, can be found in that area.

The Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center is an upscale district transitioning from suburban to urban that is loaded full of the types of amenities that you cited a desire to be near.

There are also plenty of affordable high-quality housing options in the Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center area, so finding the type of living space you desire (a one-bedroom condo/townhome or apartment) should not really be a problem.

Living in the Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center area will not only allow you and your partner to live in an area packed full of amenities only minutes away from Northside Hospital, but will also allow you to reverse-commute to your future job out in either Athens or Gainesville.

Living in the Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center area will also be a good option to consider because of the massive multi-year reconstruction project that is getting underway at the major freeway junction of Interstate 285 and Georgia 400. This project which is expected to last through 2020, will make getting in and out of the Perimeter Center area a challenge over the next 3 years or so while construction is in progress, particularly if one will be driving into the area from another part of the metro area on the freeway system.

Because the transit system in the Atlanta area is relatively extremely limited in its reach and scope, commuting by transit will unfortunately not be an option in your situation, except perhaps for the occasional trip into the city (Midtown or Downtown Atlanta) during a big event where finding parking may be a challenge.
Thank You So Much! Because of your post, I think I've narrowed it down to Perimeter Center/Sandy Springs, Chamblee, and Brookhaven. Is Decatur too far from the Hospital? And what are some thoughts on the communities I've listed. Does Perimeter have a nightlife as well?

Heart of Perimeter Center- Large 1 Bedroom-... - Perimeter Ctr E Apt 2303 | Atlanta, GA Houses for Rent | Rent.com®

315 Hilderbrand Dr NE APT C1, Atlanta, GA 30328 | Zillow

5517 Kingsport Dr, Atlanta, GA 30342 | Zillow

3400 Malone Dr UNIT 213, Chamblee, GA 30341 | Zillow

Thoughts on above listings?

Thanks for Everyone's input! All advice is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta