Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:37 PM

712 posts, read 701,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Texas' law specifically protects civil rights in it.
For the time being and hopefully over the long-term. However, there have been attempts to amend the TX law within the past year. Regardless, TX and GA are very similar politically at the state level. GA's politics aren't preventing many young people from choosing to call Atlanta home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 01:57 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I gotta agree.

"Wow, I had such a fun time at the Atlanta house at SXSW....hey, maybe that means I should think about moving to Atlanta, which I've never thought about before!"

This won't happen.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:01 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I gotta agree.

"Wow, I had such a fun time at the Atlanta house at SXSW....hey, maybe that means I should think about moving to Atlanta, which I've never thought about before!"

This won't happen.
Especially since nobody at the Chamber is in tune with our music scene (which is actually quite good and healthy despite actions the Chamber takes that wind up harming it), so they'll botch the whole thing and make Atlanta look ridiculous.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Quote:
Especially since nobody at the Chamber is in tune with our music scene (which is actually quite good and healthy despite actions the Chamber takes that wind up harming it), so they'll botch the whole thing and make Atlanta look ridiculous.
Can't rep you enough for this! They're probably still singing the "you can see professional sports in Atlanta!" line.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:19 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This...

NOT this...

I like Atlanta, but it's still in Georgia. That means year after year of bull**** from state lawmakers that are completely out of tune with what younger generations want. If the chamber can make the case that this is the place for them, more power to them, but I think it's more or less a fool's errand when you can move to other states that have legal pot, ever expanding transit networks, and a culture that can divorce itself from Christian morality. Not to mention things like no three tiered alcohol distribution and a willingness to expand Medicaid.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:40 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I gotta agree.

This won't happen.
laughing so hard lmao

Old 02-27-2016, 04:49 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I like Atlanta, but it's still in Georgia. That means year after year of bull**** from state lawmakers that are completely out of tune with what younger generations want. If the chamber can make the case that this is the place for them, more power to them, but I think it's more or less a fool's errand when you can move to other states that have legal pot, ever expanding transit networks, and a culture that can divorce itself from Christian morality. Not to mention things like no three tiered alcohol distribution and a willingness to expand Medicaid.
I partly Agree with you but Texas isn't that far off from Georgia. So that's not the issue.

I just think the idea is silly itself how about making a ATL SXSW instead.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:50 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
The chamber should take advantage of some of our older citizens. If they'll pick up the hotel and airfare I'd be happy to go out and work the crowd and maybe even play a few of my songs. They probably love country out there.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:50 PM

469 posts, read 398,651 times
Sorry to threadjack, but what is it about a three tiered alcohol system that is problematic? I looked it up an it seems that virtually all states have the same. Does it work differently in CA?

Old 02-29-2016, 06:03 PM

25 posts, read 22,151 times
When I went to SXSW last year, I specifically asked people who lived there, one a 50+ year old white man, and a late 20's biracial woman what they thought of moving to Austin vs. Atlanta. Both said that "Austin's very white". Once you've lived in NYC and you're sick of the hassle and exhaustion just to do the simplest of tasks, ATL has a long list of 'pros' that make it an attractive alternative. I gotta say it's really nice to just live like a human being again with great, reasonably priced hangouts, warmer weather, having access to a car or Uber, a great airport to head north to visit friends who haven't figured it out yet, and lots of other benefits.

I don't know how much they spent on sending folks to SXSW, but I think it's a pretty great idea to try to recruit the types of folks who go to SXSW to Atlanta. Lots of Millenials, especially the older ones like myself, are waking up to the joy of foregoing the caché and difficulties of NYC and SF for a more relaxed and livable environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta