Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:10 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Hello, and welcome!

You're certainly looking in the right area. Many, many people who work at or near the airport live in Peachtree City and the surrounding areas. You'll find very good schools and high quality of life with reasonable real estate prices. Commute to the airport is easy, between 30 and 40 minutes.

The only drawback to Peachtree City and the rest of the Southside, in my opinion, is that it's quite a ways from the city. So, if you enjoy doing things in the city or frequently want to go to upscale or higher end department stores like Nordstrom or even Dillard's, you'll be driving 45 minutes or more. Same goes for the more interesting independent restaurants in the metro area... They are, for the most part, in the city of Atlanta or in its close-in northern suburbs. This is one of several reasons why, despite working near the airport, I choose to live on the Northside. (One of the other reasons is that my wife works on the Northside, and a Peachtree City to Perimeter Center commute would be truly dreadful for her.) But if you don't have a particular job lined up yourself, and don't think you'll want or need the higher end shopping and restaurants that the Northside offers, PTC will suit you very well. (And not to worry, there are still plenty of good shops like Banana Republic and Fresh Market in PTC... It's just that there's a much greater concentration of that stuff plus higher end stuff farther north.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemom1225 View Post
Thanks evannole.

If that's the only drawback, it would probably be a plus for me. LOL I was born and raised in LI, NY, so I was used to the shopping. Then my husband was transferred to FL about 10 years back. We ended up in an area north of Tampa with NO shopping, other than Walmart and Target. To get to a decent mall now, I have to travel 45 minutes and pay tolls. Maybe hubby would prefer to keep me away from the shopping, now that I think about it.
Minnie, whatever people say about shopping, remember that this exists in the heart of PTC:

Peachtree City - Shop The Avenue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Minnie, whatever people say about shopping, remember that this exists in the heart of PTC:

Peachtree City - Shop The Avenue
And this exists only 15 minutes away in Newnan:

Ashley Park

Old 03-15-2016, 10:48 PM

53 posts, read 59,458 times
Quote:
You should not be worried about the schools at all if you are interested in Peachtree City and Fayette County.

No, I'm worried that my kids will be behind, since they are coming from Fl schools.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
No, I'm worried that my kids will be behind, since they are coming from Fl schools.
If they are, the schools may (should) have general education interventions to aid in closing any gaps.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
And this exists only 15 minutes away in Newnan:

Ashley Park
This is an excellent point by aries.

While the south side of the Atlanta metro area may not have as many shopping and retail options as the north side of the Atlanta metro area, Ashley Park Mall in Newnan is only about 25-30 minutes away from Peachtree City and is a major shopping and retail hub for the Southwestern suburbs that at least includes major retailers like Belk, Dillards, JcPenney, Dick's, Barnes & Noble, and the like.

The Southside may not provide the deep and diverse retail scene that the Northside provides (along with severe traffic congestion), but at least there are some kind of decent shopping options to be found on the Southside.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:22 AM

761 posts, read 907,514 times
Quote:
Thanks PTC Dad.
That's what I'm worried about with the schools. What part of FL did you move from? My kids are in magnets right now, with my son entering HS. I know the FL schools aren't the best in the nation by far, but I'm hoping that my kids aren't too far behind other states, seeing as how they are in some of the best in the state of FL.

I've been checking greatschools.com, but it helps greatly to have some opinions from actual people.
We moved from St. Petersburg, FL. Don't be worried about the schools. The teachers and staff in all of the Fayette County schools are exceptional. They will work to place your kids in the appropriate classes. Also, if your kids are in a magnet school they should be fine.

Also, look at SchoolDigger.com - the Easy Way to Evaluate K-12 School Performance. Great schools added a new metric this year for Georgia schools that looks at student improvement. This skews some of the rankings of the top rated schools because a lot of the kids are already scoring 100% achievement and have little room for improvement. For example, you'll see a former top rated school with an 8 rating, but when you drill into the data, they will still be rated a 10 for test scores but will show a lower score for student improvement.

Schooldigger rates schools primarily on overall test scores which I think is much more accurate.

Fayette County School District - Fayetteville, Georgia - SchoolDigger.com

Old 03-16-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
This is an excellent point by aries.

While the south side of the Atlanta metro area may not have as many shopping and retail options as the north side of the Atlanta metro area, Ashley Park Mall in Newnan is only about 25-30 minutes away from Peachtree City and is a major shopping and retail hub for the Southwestern suburbs that at least includes major retailers like Belk, Dillards, JcPenney, Dick's, Barnes & Noble, and the like.

The Southside may not provide the deep and diverse retail scene that the Northside provides (along with severe traffic congestion), but at least there are some kind of decent shopping options to be found on the Southside.
Ashley Park is 15-20 minutes away from PTC...

Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
What is the weather like in Peachtree City? It was on my short list of places to move to in order to get away from SW Florida's heat, humidity & high rents.

Does it ever snow? Are the summers long and humid? Are there good hospitals nearby?

Old 04-12-2016, 07:18 PM

Climate Peachtree City - Georgia and Weather averages Peachtree City

Atlanta and Peachtree City have a very moderate climate. There are 4 distinct seasons, but winters are short and mild and usually snow free, but it does get cold and is usually around freezing in the mornings before warming into the 50's. Fall and spring are the best times of the year. Having lived in Southern Florida, the summers in Atlanta are much more bearable. It is hot and humid here in July and August, but the mornings are cool and crisp with lows ranging from the high 50's to low 70's. In South Florida, it never seems to get below 80 in the summer.

As for average high temps in the winter, they range from 54-59 and lows in the winter average around 30-34. It can snow in Peachtree City and the Atlanta area, but we get a lot less snow on the southern end of Atlanta than on the northside. We usually have snow flurries once or twice a year, but it rarely sticks. We may get some snow accumulation every 3-4 years (1/2-1 inch) and significant accumulation every 7-10 years (2-6 inches).

Old 04-12-2016, 07:24 PM

As for Hospitals, Piedmont-Fayette is 10 minutes outside of Peachtree City in Fayetteville, GA. It's one of the top rated hospitals in Georgia and is part of the Piedmont system.

Top Georgia Hospitals - Georgia Trend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta