Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 02:51 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about buying an IKEA kitchen for our 1920's home. If you have done this, how was the experience? How much did it cost? How long did it take? What are the pros and cons? Anything we should watch out for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 02:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
How handy are you?

Old 05-08-2016, 04:07 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
How handy are you?
This is a great comment OP because you're going to have to be like Bob the Builder. IKEA has some products that are great but most furnishings are not. I have not done a kitchen myself, but I have a milleial friend who has done a lot rooms with IKEA stuff, and I'm still not clear if she has finished putting it together yet.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:00 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
This is a great comment OP because you're going to have to be like Bob the Builder. IKEA has some products that are great but most furnishings are not. I have not done a kitchen myself, but I have a milleial friend who has done a lot rooms with IKEA stuff, and I'm still not clear if she has finished putting it together yet.
I guess I'm fairly handy... I've put together quite a bit of IKEA furniture over the years (beds, cribs, dressers, chests of drawers, bookcases, etc) but I can't say I'm ready to tackle a kitchen. Is it horribly expensive to pay them to do it?

Old 05-09-2016, 03:26 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I guess I'm fairly handy... I've put together quite a bit of IKEA furniture over the years (beds, cribs, dressers, chests of drawers, bookcases, etc) but I can't say I'm ready to tackle a kitchen. Is it horribly expensive to pay them to do it?
I don't know how much they charge or even if there is an offer on the table. I'm sure you could talk your into an offer though.

I have even hired day laborers to assemble things for me which I can assure you takes a leap of faith. I'm not sure I would have come out better financially just buying from a regular furniture store having a good sale. I do think you will spend less money buying from IKEA and hiring someone to assemble a kitchen. It's going to look great, but you may have to sacrifice a bit of quality.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:50 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
We are thinking about buying an IKEA kitchen for our 1920's home. If you have done this, how was the experience? How much did it cost? How long did it take? What are the pros and cons? Anything we should watch out for?
I would get the dimensions of your room, put it on graph paper and take it to Ikea and get the pricing information. If I am correct on this the Ikea kitchen is made out of particle board with very little solid wood in it. Here is an article on it.

Faith's Kitchen Renovation: 5 Things We Learned While Buying an IKEA Kitchen

Your other option is to find someone who makes cabinets for a living and will make them for you. This a lot of times will cost about 2x as much but you get hard wood, everything custom, plus quality. Finding someone like this is the hard part bu you will come out ahead.

Things you may want to do in order to get a good kitchen.

1.) gut the entire kitchen, even drywall.
2.) Level the floor, and fix the flooring.
3.) Get a plumper to sign off on the plumping, you only get one shot with the wall open.
4.) Electrical.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,249 times
I've never installed their kitchen products but if it's anything like their living room and bedroom furniture, I would consider the furnishings to be "cheap".

I furnished an entire apartment in CA with Ikea b/c it was stylish yet affordable. However, I would not put it in my "real" house (well, maybe a basement rec room).

The materials used in Ikea products contain a lot of manufactured wood products (MDF, particle board) and while the butcher block counters will resist moisture in a kitchen setting, the base cabinets will not.

If this is your home, I wouldn't go cheap - especially in the kitchen.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domitian View Post
i've never installed their kitchen products but if it's anything like their living room and bedroom furniture, i would consider the furnishings to be "cheap".

I furnished an entire apartment in ca with ikea b/c it was stylish yet affordable. However, i would not put it in my "real" house (well, maybe a basement rec room).

The materials used in ikea products contain a lot of manufactured wood products (mdf, particle board) and while the butcher block counters will resist moisture in a kitchen setting, the base cabinets will not.

If this is your home, i wouldn't go cheap - especially in the kitchen.

^^^^ yes

Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Default Should we get an IKEA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
I've never installed their kitchen products but if it's anything like their living room and bedroom furniture, I would consider the furnishings to be "cheap".

I furnished an entire apartment in CA with Ikea b/c it was stylish yet affordable. However, I would not put it in my "real" house (well, maybe a basement rec room).

The materials used in Ikea products contain a lot of manufactured wood products (MDF, particle board) and while the butcher block counters will resist moisture in a kitchen setting, the base cabinets will not.

If this is your home, I wouldn't go cheap - especially in the kitchen.

Great points there!
You buy cheap... you get cheap. Who wants a "cheap" look in your kitchen or any room frankly?
Our local paper did an "IKEA" furnished house feature recently & although I can admire some IKEA rooms at their show room stores & individual items can be just fine, there was something slightly off-putting to me about the living room featured in the newspaper piece that was completely an IKEA creation. In other words, it was not a look or anything I'd strive to have in my own residence.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Great points there!
You buy cheap... you get cheap. Who wants a "cheap" look in your kitchen or any room frankly?
Our local paper did an "IKEA" furnished house feature recently & although I can admire some IKEA rooms at their show room stores & individual items can be just fine, there was something slightly off-putting to me about the living room featured in the newspaper piece that was completely an IKEA creation. In other words, it was not a look or anything I'd strive to have in my own residence.
it's very minimalist and made to fit in the smaller European apartments and spaces. their design is genius but it's certainly not 'heirloom' furniture and frankly, it's made to be disposable. Again, it's good for inexpensive furnishings but not what I would consider a home's "infrastructure" like kitchen cabinetry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta