Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 12:33 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
That's inexcusable, and is why I get annoyed by people who just complain about how terrible the "ATL" name is. That's not the point. The point is that it takes an hour and a half to use transit to get between two places that take 1/4-1/3 as long by car, and we have to fix that. Accept that the "ATL" brand is going to happen and start supporting the idea of more unified transit system.
Someone can acknowledge the cruddy branding of 'ATL', without wanting to discard the other parts of the effort, though things banning Heavy Rail extension, and getting rid of state-level funding sources are pretty garbage. Especially since part of the reason for creating a new brand was supposedly to convince usually MARTA-adverse people that transit is okay now because it has a new name.

At least make the name and branding something good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 01:08 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Someone can acknowledge the cruddy branding of 'ATL', without wanting to discard the other parts of the effort, though things banning Heavy Rail extension, and getting rid of state-level funding sources are pretty garbage. Especially since part of the reason for creating a new brand was supposedly to convince usually MARTA-adverse people that transit is okay now because it has a new name.

Very important to remember, there is $0 dedicated year-to-year state funding for transit.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:51 PM

296 posts, read 220,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post

I've never said people can't or shouldn't criticize the branding, but be clear that's what you're doing, and don't have that be the only comment you make. I've seen a number of comments like, "This is the dumbest idea ever," with no other context. So... does that mean the brand is bad or the entire idea of the authority is bad?

Old 04-10-2018, 03:47 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Have to agree. For example if I wanted to go from Cumberland to Perimeter Mall. In the car, outside of peak traffic times it takes me like 5 minutes straight across 285..
5 minutes? Cool story, bro. Minimum 15 minutes unless you are going 90-100 mph the whole way to Ashford Dunwoody.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:51 PM

6,559 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
5 minutes? Cool story, bro. Minimum 15 minutes unless you are going 90-100 mph the whole way to Ashford Dunwoody.
It usually takes longer than 5 minutes just to get to 285.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
From Cumberland Mall to Perimeter Mall is 9-10 miles. I think you're doing something that is really common with drivers, myself included: We tend to underestimate how long it actually takes to drive somewhere (especially by diminishing delays at stop lights, because of traffic, parking, etc.) while over-inflating the time it takes to get somewhere by transit.

FWIW, Cumberland to Perimeter Center is one of the biggest, most obvious gaps in our current transit system. It involves at least 2 counties, one of which has MARTA and another that doesn't. It is exactly the situation that HB930 and the ATL authority were designed to fix.
I think the point is pretty obvious. It wouldn't take a 10th of the time to drive there as it would to ride a bunch of buses and trains. Even if I changed the location and said Clayton County, Jonesboro. Taking Marta to the north side of town using bus after bus, then transferring to train after train. I'd have been home, had a shower, made dinner and be eating before you even got home. It just is what it is. Only advantage would be something like downtown to Midtown. Or Midtown to Lenox. Other than that, in no way, shape or form is it more convenient or even close to more efficient than just driving. Thats why after 85 was repaired the vast majority of those folks went right back to driving.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Which I usually am considering the pace the traffic moves on 285.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It usually takes longer than 5 minutes just to get to 285.
Don't know how you drive but if it takes you 5 minutes to get to 285 from Cumberland...you're doing it wrong.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:48 PM

6,559 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
I think the point is pretty obvious. It wouldn't take a 10th of the time to drive there as it would to ride a bunch of buses and trains. Even if I changed the location and said Clayton County, Jonesboro. Taking Marta to the north side of town using bus after bus, then transferring to train after train. I'd have been home, had a shower, made dinner and be eating before you even got home. It just is what it is. Only advantage would be something like downtown to Midtown. Or Midtown to Lenox. Other than that, in no way, shape or form is it more convenient or even close to more efficient than just driving. Thats why after 85 was repaired the vast majority of those folks went right back to driving.
I live in Sandy Springs and the MARTA train is actually better than driving if I'm going to Downtown, Midtown, or even parts of Buckhead.

Quote:
Don't know how you drive but if it takes you 5 minutes to get to 285 from Cumberland...you're doing it wrong.
Sometimes waiting at a red light is longer than 5 minutes. What am I supposed to do, run the red light?

Old 04-10-2018, 07:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Which I usually am considering the pace the traffic moves on 285.
LMAO. I figured as much....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta