Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:52 PM

408 posts, read 580,796 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Cumberland area and the closest location is east on 285 in Sandy Springs off Roswell Road. The area has a lot of higher earners and supports a healthy diverse population. The publix store is nice but for someone that wants a smaller market shopping experience there's no alternatives in close range

Do you guys think the Smyrna/Vinings area can support a TJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,750 times
Until recently, Whole Foods and Trade Joes were not interested in moving into Smyrna because their research showed that residents in our area were willing to drive to Sandy Springs etc.

This has been changing over the last few years as the income levels in the area have grown to support their own store and both Whole Foods and Trader Joes have been threatened since Sprouts moved into Atlanta and specifically into Smyrna.

It is just a matter of time. At one point Earth Fare was announced for the area (not sure what happened with those plans) and there of course the Paces Ferry property that had an undisclosed Organic Grocer (those plans changed due to opposition)

Hang in there - it won't be much longer.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:22 PM

10,394 posts, read 11,489,724 times
From what I understand, there has been a movement by local residents to attempt to bring a Trader Joe's to the Smyrna/Vinings area for several years now.

It appears that Trader Joe's (and Whole Foods) have been taking a wait-and-see approach to see if the number of high-income earners in the area increases to their liking.

Chains like Trader Joe's (and Whole Foods) have been known to be fairly subjective when it comes to scouting locations for new stores. Those chains like to be absolutely certain that new stores will be financially successful and sustainable over the long-term after opening.

It may not necessarily happen overnight, but with the area continuing to grow in popularity with higher-income young professionals as a revitalizing inner-suburb of sorts, it appears that Smyrna could potentially be a prime candidate for a new Trader Joe's store in the future.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:32 AM

61 posts, read 53,089 times
You guys sound very optimistic. I hope a Whole Foods comes along. Until then I guess I get to choose from the four Publix locations I am surrounded by.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:45 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,448 times
It seems like Trader Joe's follows Whole Foods. If so, that's good news for us in Kennesaw.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:02 PM

559 posts, read 832,296 times
The Braves mixed-use will have a "boutique type" grocery store on the north portion of The Battery that fronts Cobb Pkwy.

Rumor has it on the smaller end ... I heard ~ 20k sq ft ... and something along the lines of Trader Joe's, Earth Fare, etc.

Will not be a Publix or Kroger.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:57 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,500 times
Wait wait wait. I thought Cobb was where all the rich and well to do live. No Whole Foods or TJ's in South Cobb? Shocking

Old 05-14-2016, 05:05 PM

22 posts, read 54,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Wait wait wait. I thought Cobb was where all the rich and well to do live. No Whole Foods or TJ's in South Cobb? Shocking
Not really. Real estate is mad cheap over there

Old 05-14-2016, 05:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG6 View Post
Not really. Real estate is mad cheap over there
I was being sarcastic bro. Lol.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:51 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,257 times
Whole Foods and The Fresh Market tend to be higher priced. Trader Joe's and Sprouts cost less even the selections of items are not always that similar.

I cannot think of a single reason that Trader Joe's would not be successful in the Cumberland/Smyrna/Vinings area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta