Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 02:41 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,893,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Well, it would be BRT, which I get the feeling will be true BRT since we have designations for the ART and frequent local service (sometimes called BRT Lite). It should be alright, and would provide a bit more local service.

I'm kinda disappointed there aren't more ART routes planned, but oh well.

If y'all haven't read through the presentation, you should. It's right here.

Something interesting in there is that the Clifton Corridor is "Contingent upon funding agreement with DeKalb County for capital and operations and maintenance."
There is no room on Glenwood for true-BRT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 02:49 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,699,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is no room on Glenwood for true-BRT.
Maybe if you remove the on-street parking?

Old 05-12-2016, 03:29 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,277,247 times
"BRT" that runs in the HOV lane of the highway, exits the highway, navigates surface roads to a station, then gets back on the highway? That's not BRT, that's more like an express bus service. So yeah, I don't like that either. Will be traffic-slowed, and just plain stupidly designed.

Now, building an actual true BRT system (think: South America), into the median of I-20, like replacing the HOV lanes with it, now that would be something. With center platform bus stations under the overpass bridges, with pedestrian access up to the road. Then you'd have a BRT. Granted, it would require a lot of highway construction and widening and re-configuration.

If they did it like that, I would say just continue on to Stonecrest like that, and cancel the heavy rail extension. But I have a feeling what they are calling "I-20 BRT" is going to be not BRT and not impressive.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:33 PM

And if you do "BRT" on tiny narrow Glenwood Ave, that's even stupider. Will just be running in traffic, just a normal bus.

BTW, WTF is this intersection?
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7403.../data=!3m1!1e3

Stupid Atlanta.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:39 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,753,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
And if you do "BRT" on tiny narrow Glenwood Ave, that's even stupider. Will just be running in traffic, just a normal bus.

BTW, WTF is this intersection?
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7403.../data=!3m1!1e3

Stupid Atlanta.
There are plans to reconfigure that intersection, but this isn't the only example of dumb intersections since being in Atlanta.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
There are plans to reconfigure that intersection, but this isn't the only example of dumb intersections since being in Atlanta.
Yep. Midtown alone has like 15 similar examples.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:59 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,699,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
"BRT" that runs in the HOV lane of the highway, exits the highway, navigates surface roads to a station, then gets back on the highway? That's not BRT, that's more like an express bus service. So yeah, I don't like that either. Will be traffic-slowed, and just plain stupidly designed.

Now, building an actual true BRT system (think: South America), into the median of I-20, like replacing the HOV lanes with it, now that would be something. With center platform bus stations under the overpass bridges, with pedestrian access up to the road. Then you'd have a BRT. Granted, it would require a lot of highway construction and widening and re-configuration.

If they did it like that, I would say just continue on to Stonecrest like that, and cancel the heavy rail extension. But I have a feeling what they are calling "I-20 BRT" is going to be not BRT and not impressive.
Well, now's the time to ensure that that is what get's into the final list. There's an email address at the end of the presentation that you can (and should) send concerns / ideas to.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:21 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,263,440 times
Really excited about the plan, as is everyone else. Definitely hope to see light rail/streetcars on the Beltline, east and west, and connecting through downtown. Everything else is a nice-to-have to me.

I don't want to call anyone out specifically, but it would be really nice if we could express our excitement without making boner references, which doesn't do much to make women on the forum very comfortable, and just reinforces the stereotype of the nerdy boys club when it comes to these kinds of topics.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Well, now's the time to ensure that that is what get's into the final list. There's an email address at the end of the presentation that you can (and should) send concerns / ideas to.
Cool.

My top suggestions/concerns/ideas would be with this proposed Peachtree ART line.

1) Please don't use the stupid Arts Center bus loop. Just stay straight on Peachtree the whole length.

2) Reduce the stops, and space the stops out, at least only every 1/4 mile. No closer together than that.

3) Name all the stops, and put the line (with stop names) on the MARTA rail map.

I just want people (especially tourists) to be able to glance at the main MARTA map, and see transit stations like, '5th Street', 'Colony Square', 'Amtrak', 'Piedmont Hospital', 'Peachtree Battle', 'Garden Hills', 'Buckhead Village', etc. Or whatever.

Would make all the difference, and would finally pick up some choice bus riders, and affluent bus riders.

In general, the MARTA map needs to look like it has hundreds of stations and destinations and serves and connects all these different nice places across the city, even if half of that is ART/BRT lines and stations. No more simple plus sign transit map. Just a drastic makeover of the map would make a huge difference for people's perceptions of the system, and where they can go on it.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,244,876 times
Extremely exciting, although I think they should hire fourthwarden to handle their map making.

Love most of the list, agree CC and I-20 BRT should be a low priority until Dekalb comes on board. Honestly, the Armour station and Beltline to that area should probably wait until they can plan everything together. Significant infrastructure will be necessary to get that area ready for rail, contributions from Dekalb would be very helpful.

I am a bit disappointed by the service to the transit center in the NW. Guess I am biased, but it seems very unappealing to choice riders. It would be useful if there was express service to midtown. This seems like it would take way too long to get the core of Atlanta. I guess it would be nice for folks who work off Fulton Industrial, otherwise it seems very indirect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta