Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Sure I can. When Atlanta stadium first opened it had dozens of businesses within a block or two of the stadium.

Want to see what it looks like after decades of being next to stadiums? The good news is, these old buildings will see use again as retail, restaurants, and bars after the Braves leave: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7368...7i13312!8i6656

Hey, at least we can look forward to some great murals on abandoned buildings next to STP in a few decades!

Don't get me wrong, trying to do a walkable mixed-use node is a great idea. But it is still not enough to off-set the damage done by the stadium. Regular businesses just cannot function off of 80 days of business a year. The positives from "the battery" are no better than the positives that will come from the development happening at 905 Memorial. And 905 Memorial won't have the negatives of the stadium.
You mean drive-to walkable, mixed use node. Battery Atlanta will barely engage any of the existing streets, it'll be just like Avalon and turn it's back to the surrounding streets/area and focus on it's private street, that Liberty Media can control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
People complaining about parking around stadiums should check almost every stadium that has been built in the last 50 years...they consistently have even more parking than Turner Field had - even NY, SF, and Chicago teams have it. It's a fact of life around these stadiums because more people drive than use transit. In the cities with the best transit systems people come from all over the region to see games and many have never set foot on public transit, so they have to plan for this and accommodate everyone so they can sell tickets.

I'm not sure how other people feel about deck parking for games, but I HATE sitting in line to get out when the game ends. I think it will cause more people to exit early. Whatever the situation, people usually perceive surface parking as easier/more convenient. I also don't see why they couldn't have wrapped that deck at SunTrust Stadium with businesses, or at least put them on one or two sides. It's ridiculous in today's world to build a parking deck that isn't hidden in some fashion.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:16 PM

687 posts, read 744,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
How is that parking deck any worse than the acres of surface parking lots adjacent to Turner Field as seen here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...!4d-84.3878432

Many on this blog complain about surface lots and have said in other developments that a multi-level garage would be better (if parking is to be provided) - Well here it is.

Likewise, there have been many doomsday Armageddon predictions for SunTrust Park because of the lack of parking. Now, we see a multi-level garage being constructed, one of several.

In fact, the Atlanta Braves website state that there will be 6,000 parking spaces on the property: Parking | Atlanta Braves If you take into consideration, an average of 3 people per car, about half of the 40,000 seats can be accommodated on site. Often out of town groups come to the games in buses so that gets some of the crowd, too. The Cobb Galleria has a large garage which is available and will probably be available on most weekends. (During the week, I doubt if the Braves will sell out many games - their low ticket sales are the reason that Sun Trust Park will have 10,000 fewer seats.)

Going back to Turner Field. There have been surface parking lots along Capitol Avenue since 1965 (when the original Atlanta Fulton County Stadium was built) and I have never heard of an effort to remove them or build any garages. If the Braves had not made the decision to move to Cobb County, I can guarantee you that those lots would have continued and all of those complaining would not have said a peep about all of that asphalt - they were just happy to have the Braves nearby.

Now that the Braves are moving, the parking will take a lot less land and many are still complaining.
And you are forgetting all those folks that will arrive by train. Oh no wait.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 921,946 times
Quote:
Sure I can. When Atlanta stadium first opened it had dozens of businesses within a block or two of the stadium.

Want to see what it looks like after decades of being next to stadiums? The good news is, these old buildings will see use again as retail, restaurants, and bars after the Braves leave: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7368...7i13312!8i6656

Hey, at least we can look forward to some great murals on abandoned buildings next to STP in a few decades!

Don't get me wrong, trying to do a walkable mixed-use node is a great idea. But it is still not enough to off-set the damage done by the stadium. Regular businesses just cannot function off of 80 days of business a year. The positives from "the battery" are no better than the positives that will come from the development happening at 905 Memorial. And 905 Memorial won't have the negatives of the stadium.
You are blinded by your irrational hatred of this project.

There are successful businesses near other sports stadia throughout the world.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:

I love that stretch of historic brick buildings on Georgia Avenue! t reminds me of Edgewood. I wasn't even sure it was still there, but I'm glad to hear that it is and may be brought back to live in the future.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:02 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
And you are forgetting all those folks that will arrive by train. Oh no wait.
That would be all those folks who arrive at Turner field by train? Oh, no wait.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:44 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,608 times
Quote:

Big difference: Turner Field is not in a directly-busy part of town. Never was. Suntrust Park is in a heavily-used part of town, with people piling into restaurants all up and down Cobb Parkway daily. The businesses there will see a lot more than just the 80 days of games.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Big difference: Turner Field is not in a directly-busy part of town. Never was. Suntrust Park is in a heavily-used part of town, with people piling into restaurants all up and down Cobb Parkway daily. The businesses there will see a lot more than just the 80 days of games.
You're right, the two areas are not comparable.

A better question is why the city allowed the area around AFCS and Turner Field to languish for half a century.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

A better question is why the city allowed the area around AFCS and Turner Field to languish for half a century.

I think it was probably difficult to get investors interested in anything south of I20, but they could have/should have done a better job than they did. I think I heard that they were sort of held hostage by the owners of some of the parking lots nearby too, but it always sounded like there were significant road blocks to improving that area in any meaningful way.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:14 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

To be fair, AFCS and even Turner Field were built in a time when mixed-use developments weren't all the rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta