Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:18 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Gwinnett juggernaut isn't slowing down.

Quote:
As usual, Gwinnett County posted a strong showing [on the Georgia Milestones], which is important given that the state’s largest school district is also the one seeing a dramatic shift in demographics. It now has more children who are English language learners and more students living in poverty, both of whom often bring learning challenges.

As the AJC just reported: In 1995, 80 percent of Gwinnett County Public Schools students were white. By 2015, that number dropped to just 26 percent, according to the ARC’s data. Over the same time period, the school system’s share of Hispanic students increased sevenfold — from 4 percent to 29 percent — and the proportion of black students more than tripled, from 9 percent to 31 percent… Gwinnett became a “majority minority” county — meaning non-white residents account for more than half of the population — in 2010, and the ARC projects that the county will have more Hispanic residents than white ones by 2040.

Despite demographic shifts, Gwinnett outpaces state averages in Georgia Milestones | Get Schooled

Old 07-29-2016, 08:58 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
This makes me wonder if the reverse is true.

A lot of people in gentrifying areas with underperforming schools I think assume those schools will just organically get better as more white kids attend. I've seen arguments defending these schools as up and coming by pointing to rising white attendance.

But if demographics can't drag down Gwinnett, isn't is also reasonable to assume that they can't prop up others?

Last edited by ATLTJL; 07-29-2016 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-29-2016, 09:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
If you look at the data, the schools that did the best have larger % of white students and low poverty levels.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:22 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,787,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This makes me wonder if the reverse is true.

A lot of people in gentrifying areas with underperforming schools I think assume those schools will just organically get better as more white kids attend. I've seen arguments defending these schools as up and coming by pointing to rising white attendance.

But if demographics can't drag down Gwinnett, isn't is also reasonable to assume that they can't prop up others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
If you look at the data, the schools that did the best have larger % of white students and low poverty levels.
Although the wealthier "whiter" schools may do better. Poor and minority students still do better in Gwinnett than anywhere else in the state.

I wonder if part of this relative success has to do with the sort of self-selection that (may) occurr in charter schools--That is, poor and minority parents that are the most involved in their children's education choose Gwinnett ("charter school") over other underperforming counties (local school). While less involved or aware poor minority parents are less selective about schools. ---More involved parents with more disciplined children choosing better schools. (That is what my AA neighbors who were very involved in their girls education did in 2005--bailing out of Stone Mountain in Dekalb for Lilburn in Gwinnett).

Old 07-29-2016, 02:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,738 times
DeKalb could certainly learn a thing or two thousand from Gwinnett

Old 07-29-2016, 03:34 PM

712 posts, read 701,914 times
Percent FRL
  1. Cobb - 44%
  2. Gwinnett - 54%
  3. State Avg. - 62%
  4. DeKalb - 72%
  5. APS - 77%

Not to dismiss the hard work of Gwinnett staff which includes a couple of my neighbors, but income and test scores are extremely, linearly in fact, correlated. Additionally, I'm certain that the portion of kids in Gwinnett who qualify for reduced rather than free lunch is much greater proportionately than in APS.

So good job Gwinnett. Yes, DeKalb and APS have had long-standing administrative shortcomings and probably could learn something from Gwinnett. But context, family income in this case, still matters.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:52 PM

Part of that is DeKalb and APS doing a very poor job and chasing away families that can afford to go to private schools, leaving FRL families.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:57 PM

712 posts, read 701,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Part of that is DeKalb and APS doing a very poor job and chasing away families that can afford to go to private schools, leaving FRL families.
Poverty rate
  1. Gwinnett - 13.4%
  2. Dekalb - 20.4%
  3. Atlanta - 25.2%

Low-income families repel middle-income families from schools. That's why schools are so much more segregated than residential neighborhoods are. Atlanta and to a somewhat lesser extent DeKalb have high concentrations of low-income families to the extent that it's impossible to avoid having many schools with unacceptably large numbers of low-income children for the typical middle income family. The HNW households in Atlanta and DeKalb would send their kids to private schools even if the public schools were equivalent to Forsyth's.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
The HNW households in Atlanta and DeKalb would send their kids to private schools even if the public schools were equivalent to Forsyth's.
Never going to find out, but it would be nice to see them set that goal instead of promulgating the corruption and graft by investing a smaller amount of available funds to the class room than other school systems do.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:13 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Poverty rate
  1. Gwinnett - 13.4%
  2. Dekalb - 20.4%
  3. Atlanta - 25.2%

Low-income families repel middle-income families from schools. That's why schools are so much more segregated than residential neighborhoods are. Atlanta and to a somewhat lesser extent DeKalb have high concentrations of low-income families to the extent that it's impossible to avoid having many schools with unacceptably large numbers of low-income children for the typical middle income family.
What is the solution to this? To parcel out the low income kids more widely throughout the system so that they are not concentrated in particular areas?

I wonder what the tipping point is for the percentage of low income kids that can be reached before higher income families start pulling their kids out of the system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta