Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 09:41 AM

8 posts, read 9,860 times

Advertisements

I am looking for recommendations on general contractors in the Atlanta metro area (servicing Forsyth/Fulton area). I plan to have my basement finished and need some quotes.

Requirements:

- Reliable with respect to scheduling and completion of tasks
- Will provide a quote with a cost breakdown (materials and labor) for each task/milestone. I need to know what the money is spent on. Not necessarily down to each nail but the quote has to have enough detail so that I know where the money is being spent and where I can possibly change something to save money.
- Will pull necessary permits
- Builds according to (or better than) what code requires
- Is able to make structural changes (removing 2 walls) and has the capacity (structural analysis) to figure out how it should be done (according to code) without causing potential structural problems
- Reliable with respect to pricing. I expect the contractor to stick to his quote. I expect that if I tell him what I want done, then he'll tell me what the price will be and stick to it. I don't want lowball offers just to get the job and then I'll be screwed later on.
- No payment up front. I'll pay per milestone for work that has been completed.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 09:45 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,516,444 times
www.daylightbasement.com

check out his work. > http://www.daylightbasement.com/gallerySignature.php

Old 08-15-2016, 12:18 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,516,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjames2014 View Post
Did you use this company yourself?
I had them come out and do a quote, but we never finished the basement because we were unsure about staying here long term and in fact, turns out that we're moving back to Chicago next month. He's very professional, knows what he's doing and has lots of references.

Our quote was around $75K, but we have a pretty large basement. It's been a while, but I believe the quote included completely finishing around 2,000 sq. ft. of the basement.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 9,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I had them come out and do a quote, but we never finished the basement because we were unsure about staying here long term and in fact, turns out that we're moving back to Chicago next month. He's very professional, knows what he's doing and has lots of references.

Our quote was around $75K, but we have a pretty large basement. It's been a while, but I believe the quote included completely finishing around 2,000 sq. ft. of the basement.

Ok, I contacted him, but he said he already has a headache... LOL...

However, on his website he describes the "process":

"We will prepare a detailed breakdown and cost analysis of the design that you provide."
"An easy, straightforward agreement is signed, a schedule developed, and we get to work."

I told him that I didn't expect itemization down to each and every used nail, but gave him this list which may have pissed him off:

- is reliable with respect to scheduling and completion of tasks (must provide a milestone plan with target completion dates)
- will provide a fixed-price quote with a cost breakdown (materials and labor) for each task/milestone (need to know how the total cost is distributed)
- will pull necessary permits
- builds according to (or better than) what code requires
- is able to make structural changes (removing 2 walls) and has the capacity (structural analysis) to figure out how it should be done (according to code) without causing potential structural problems
- is reliable with respect to pricing. I expect the contractor to stick to his quote. I expect that if I tell him what I want done, then he'll tell me what the price will be and stick to it.
- is not expecting payment up front. I'll pay per milestone for work that has been completed.

Payment is leverage and if a contractor expects that I'll pay up front before anything has been completed they better look somewhere else (I know I will). However, if a contractor believes he can deliver on his promises, then he shouldn't have any problem delivering against completed milestones.
You don't go to a car dealership and give them $40K for a car on the promise of "yeah...don't worry...we'll deliver you car sometime soon"

Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM

163 posts, read 139,210 times
Cars and basements are an apples to oranges comparison. Of course you shouldn't pay the full amount of a quoted price up-front, but a lot of builders use down-payment money to purchase materials--I think this is standard practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta