Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post

Where's the outrage from BLM, Obama, Jesse and Al? I guess black lives only matter when it fits their agenda? Let the carnage continue unabated while we fight over more important issues like who can use which public bathroom...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...in-cincinnati/

Where is the ourtrage from WLM, George Bush and Gov Deal?

10 Killed, 57 Wounded In Weekend Shootings Across Chicago « CBS Chicago

67 PEOPLE SHOT IN CHICAGO THIS WEEKEND!!!!!! 67!!!! WOW!!!!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

THESE ARE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT GOT SHOT THIS WEEKEND IN CHICAGO. HERE IS A VISUAL

OP, Chicago has the highest city and property taxes in America, high gas prices, high tolls, high parking tickets, horrible crime, horrible winter weather, most segregated city in America, etc. LEAVE!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
It means a lot of different things not easily expressed in words. It's very different in Chicago, people are much more friendly and most have lived in the area for many generations. Here in the Atlanta area, it's a giant melting pot where everyone is from somewhere else and neighbors seldom socialize. And many are from foreign countries, which exacerbates the isolation and weirdness factor. This is not the America I know and love. Plus, my kids were miserable here and had no friends. It's the complete opposite in the Chicago area and we couldn't be happier with our decision to move back.
Well Chicago isn't exactly "Make America Great Again" territory, but whatever floats your boat.

If your kids learned their socialization skills from you, then no wonder they had no friends. Can't have the "non-American" kids over for sleepovers and stuff because what real American would do such a thing?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:36 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...in-cincinnati/

Where is the ourtrage from WLM, George Bush and Gov Deal?

10 Killed, 57 Wounded In Weekend Shootings Across Chicago « CBS Chicago

67 PEOPLE SHOT IN CHICAGO THIS WEEKEND!!!!!! 67!!!! WOW!!!!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

THESE ARE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT GOT SHOT THIS WEEKEND IN CHICAGO. HERE IS A VISUAL

OP, Chicago has the highest city and property taxes in America, high gas prices, high tolls, high parking tickets, horrible crime, horrible winter weather, most segregated city in America, etc. LEAVE!!!!!!!
Chicago has the best nightlife outside of Manhattan. Crime is mostly on the south and west side of the city.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:43 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Chicago has the best nightlife outside of Manhattan. Crime is mostly on the south and west side of the city.
Lol. Yeah right.

Miami
New Orleans
Vegas
LA (even though they shut down earlier they have better looking women and better winter weather)
Are better.

Plus if you are a black professional it is ranked at the bottom of the list. Then you have to worry about the extremely cold winter weather and the high chance of being shot of becoming a victim of crime

Last edited by fieldm; 08-30-2016 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 06:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Lol. Yeah right.

Miami
New Orleans
Vegas
LA (even though they shut down earlier they have better looking women and better winter weather)
Are better.

Plus if you are a black professional it is ranked at the bottom of the list. Then you have to worry about the extremely cold winter weather and the high chance of being shot of becoming a victim of crime
Man too many of you posters are seriously too defensive about Atlanta....

Chicago is a great city just like Atlanta is a great city. You all should really chill out. Everybody doesn't dislike winter like you do lol. And I have been to Chicago many times and have never worried about being shot or becoming a victim of a crime. And once again, I'll note that Chicago has a lower overall crime rate than Atlanta and even has a lower murder rate than Atlanta so if you think Chicagoans should be worried about crime, you should be more worried about it in Atlanta. FWIW, I was never worried about crime in either city. Most violent crimes in particular are domestic in nature or occur to people who are involved in a criminal lifestyle.

I also primarily know "black professionals" in Chicago. Chicago is good for professional people because like Atlanta, it has a diverse amount of businesses/employers in various fields. Cook County is also one of the top places in the country for black business owners.

There is no way to equivocally state that Atlanta is better than Chicago. Chicago is a much more...I can only stay established city. It has a lot of pluses for it and only receives a lot of negative media focus about crime because of the Obamas coming to the White House from the city and conservatives wanted to denigrate their home town. The whole thing about crime there IMO even though people getting shot/killed is sad, is VERY disingenuous considering that Chicago is probably the only big city you see in the news where "shootings" are discussed all the time in every area across the country. It causes people to believe there is some sort of crazy crime wave happening there and that it is a "dangerous" city when Chicago hasn't really even been all that dangerous compared to other cities since the 1990s.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Man too many of you posters are seriously too defensive about Atlanta....

Chicago is a great city just like Atlanta is a great city. You all should really chill out. Everybody doesn't dislike winter like you do lol. And I have been to Chicago many times and have never worried about being shot or becoming a victim of a crime. And once again, I'll note that Chicago has a lower overall crime rate than Atlanta and even has a lower murder rate than Atlanta so if you think Chicagoans should be worried about crime, you should be more worried about it in Atlanta. FWIW, I was never worried about crime in either city. Most violent crimes in particular are domestic in nature or occur to people who are involved in a criminal lifestyle.

I also primarily know "black professionals" in Chicago. Chicago is good for professional people because like Atlanta, it has a diverse amount of businesses/employers in various fields. Cook County is also one of the top places in the country for black business owners.

There is no way to equivocally state that Atlanta is better than Chicago. Chicago is a much more...I can only stay established city. It has a lot of pluses for it and only receives a lot of negative media focus about crime because of the Obamas coming to the White House from the city and conservatives wanted to denigrate their home town. The whole thing about crime there IMO even though people getting shot/killed is sad, is VERY disingenuous considering that Chicago is probably the only big city you see in the news where "shootings" are discussed all the time in every area across the country. It causes people to believe there is some sort of crazy crime wave happening there and that it is a "dangerous" city when Chicago hasn't really even been all that dangerous compared to other cities since the 1990s.
I'd have to disagree. When it comes to gun violence in particular, there's an epidemic in Chicago that's unlike what you see in other cities with overall high crime rates, including Atlanta. You simply don't see multiple weekends, especially during the summer, where literally dozens of people are shot happening with such regularity in many other places. I think we do ourselves a disservice to dismiss what's happening there as nothing more than media frenzy.

That said, it's a shame that an obvious Trump supporter has managed to derail this thread where someone is genuinely looking for information related to their move.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd have to disagree. When it comes to gun violence in particular, there's an epidemic in Chicago that's unlike what you see in other cities with overall high crime rates, including Atlanta. You simply don't see multiple weekends, especially during the summer, where literally dozens of people are shot happening with such regularity in many other places. I think we do ourselves a disservice to dismiss what's happening there as nothing more than media frenzy.

That said, it's a shame that an obvious Trump supporter has managed to derail this thread where someone is genuinely looking for information related to their move.
You only don't see it on the news because the news doesn't report these things for cities other than Chicago.

I live in NW Ohio and there were about 12 shootings and 3 people murdered this past weekend here and our population is very low compared to Chicago's. There are people shot here every day. I lived in English Avenue in Atlanta and was involved in NPU where we got crime reports monthly and you'd be surprised at how many people are shot in Vine City and English Avenue on a monthly basis. Usually if there isn't a murder/death it is not reported in the news unless you are the city of Chicago.

ETA: People now love to hear about the "shootings" in Chicago and so they get more media attention it seems than the murders. This is directly opposite to most other cities. Another city that comes to mind that I know has a lot of shootings is Detroit. You hear more about Chicago shootings than Detroit, when Detroit actually is one of the most violent cities in the country. I live less than an hour from Detroit and I hear more about Chicago shootings than I do Detroit shootings. I have family in Detroit and I visit there regularly though so I know that people are shot there everyday too, and they have weekends with dozens of people shot too. They just don't all die so you don't hear about it on the news.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
You only don't see it on the news because the news doesn't report these things for cities other than Chicago.

I live in NW Ohio and there were about 12 shootings and 3 people murdered this past weekend here and our population is very low compared to Chicago's. There are people shot here every day. I lived in English Avenue in Atlanta and was involved in NPU where we got crime reports monthly and you'd be surprised at how many people are shot in Vine City and English Avenue on a monthly basis. Usually if there isn't a murder/death it is not reported in the news unless you are the city of Chicago.

ETA: People now love to hear about the "shootings" in Chicago and so they get more media attention it seems than the murders. This is directly opposite to most other cities. Another city that comes to mind that I know has a lot of shootings is Detroit. You hear more about Chicago shootings than Detroit, when Detroit actually is one of the most violent cities in the country. I live less than an hour from Detroit and I hear more about Chicago shootings than I do Detroit shootings. I have family in Detroit and I visit there regularly though so I know that people are shot there everyday too, and they have weekends with dozens of people shot too. They just don't all die so you don't hear about it on the news.
I think the reason Detroit shootings don't get as much traction is because of the overall state of the city itself, which is still in decline (signs of life here and there but still in serious decline). Chicago is literally like a tale of two cities within itself, and what's happening mostly on the south side contrasts sharply with what's happening (or not) in most other parts of the city.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the reason Detroit shootings don't get as much traction is because of the overall state of the city itself, which is still in decline (signs of life here and there but still in serious decline). Chicago is literally like a tale of two cities within itself, and what's happening mostly on the south side contrasts sharply with what's happening (or not) in most other parts of the city.
Crime in Detroit, like Chicago is concentrated in certain neighborhoods. The whole entire city of Detroit is not an overall dangerous hell hole like people would believe. I have family in Detroit and currently live less than an hour from the city and I visit there often. Detroit actually looks much better than it used to look and it has always had a nice downtown/Midtown area. My family member's neighborhoods still look nice and their look rivals many less dangerous and "nice" Atlanta neighborhoods in regards to finely manicured lawns and architecture of the homes. Detroit is a beautiful, architecturally historic city in many of its neighborhoods and is not dangerous all over.

People mention the "south side" of Chicago and don't realize that there are only specific neighborhoods on the south side of that city that deals with a lot of violent crime. The south side of Chicago is actually over half of the city land-wise so it would be ridiculous to think that "the southside" of Chicago is a dangerous hell hole or that you will get killed there. My spouse is from the south side and my in-laws still live in the house he grew up in. They live in a working class neighborhood that also looks like a suburban Atlanta neighborhood.

There are also neighborhoods on the west side of Chicago that are more dangerous than south side neighborhoods.

And Chicago shootings are usually brought up to make the claim about how "liberal policies don't work" or are "a failure" or about "gun control" (even though contrary to what conservatives say Chicago does not have the "most strict gun laws" in the country). The same could be said of Detroit on a much larger scale, but because Obama, the ultimate liberal of late is not "from" Detroit, they don't talk about Detroit like that as much (they do, but it is not on the news every freaking weekend...)

ETA: Also on Detroit's decline, Detroit is actually seeing some economic growth since its bankruptcy in 2013. The population declined slowed substantially based on last years numbers and Detroit is looked at as a city where it is good to invest today. They actually had a increase in white residents moving to the city over the past few years, which was the first time it occurred since the 1950s. Many people in the Midwest in particular want to get in while it is still cheap to do so there and I do believe that they will continue to slowly grow economically as long as there is no more political corruption issues in the city.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 08-31-2016 at 08:16 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Crime in Detroit, like Chicago is concentrated in certain neighborhoods. The whole entire city of Detroit is not an overall dangerous hell hole like people would believe. I have family in Detroit and currently live less than an hour from the city and I visit there often. Detroit actually looks much better than it used to look and it has always had a nice downtown/Midtown area. My family member's neighborhoods still look nice and their look rivals many less dangerous and "nice" Atlanta neighborhoods in regards to finely manicured lawns and architecture of the homes. Detroit is a beautiful, architecturally historic city in many of its neighborhoods and is not dangerous all over.

People mention the "south side" of Chicago and don't realize that there are only specific neighborhoods on the south side of that city that deals with a lot of violent crime. The south side of Chicago is actually over half of the city land-wise so it would be ridiculous to think that "the southside" of Chicago is a dangerous hell hole or that you will get killed there. My spouse is from the south side and my in-laws still live in the house he grew up in. They live in a working class neighborhood that also looks like a suburban Atlanta neighborhood.

There are also neighborhoods on the west side of Chicago that are more dangerous than south side neighborhoods.

And Chicago shootings are usually brought up to make the claim about how "liberal policies don't work" or are "a failure" or about "gun control" (even though contrary to what conservatives say Chicago does not have the "most strict gun laws" in the country). The same could be said of Detroit on a much larger scale, but because Obama, the ultimate liberal of late is not "from" Detroit, they don't talk about Detroit like that as much (they do, but it is not on the news every freaking weekend...)

ETA: Also on Detroit's decline, Detroit is actually seeing some economic growth since its bankruptcy in 2013. The population declined slowed substantially based on last years numbers and Detroit is looked at as a city where it is good to invest today. They actually had a increase in white residents moving to the city over the past few years, which was the first time it occurred since the 1950s. Many people in the Midwest in particular want to get in while it is still cheap to do so there and I do believe that they will continue to slowly grow economically as long as there is no more political corruption issues in the city.
I understand that the whole south side of Chicago isn't dangerous, that there are nice parts of Detroit, etc. I was speaking in general. Chicago is an Alpha world city and is overall healthy, yet it's still like a tale of two cities within the city itself; there's just such a huge contrast in place. That's not the story of Detroit, which still has a very long way to go in its recovery, but will eventually get there. I think that's the basis for the reporting of crime, or the reason why such stories gain major national traction, in a city like Chicago versus a place like Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta