Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:20 AM

301 posts, read 189,938 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if some locals could give me some insight on apartment rentals in this area? The property I am looking at is located on N Hairston RD in zip code 30083. I did a crime report for the zip and it seems like it's decent, but that was only one website and can't really compare to the opinion of a local. Hairston Woods - North Hairston Road | Stone Mountain, GA Apartments for Rent | Rent.com® Here's a link to the community I like best so far. Any opinions?

I'll be moving from out of state after the first of the year, so I'm trying to do as much research and gathering of information as possible to make my visits to secure a place as productive as I can. Budget wise, Stone Mountain area looks to be where I'm going to end up. I've heard it is, like any place, great in some parts and not so great in others. Any insight from someone who lives nearby would be greatly appreciated.

IF anyone has other suggestions for areas to look for apartments, I'm open. I'm hoping to be working in Buckhead but can't hope to afford living there. I need a 2BED/2BATH that's pet-friendly and under $900, preferably under $850. I'm okay with and prepared for a commute, but I'd like to keep it under an hour if possible. Also, my job is in hospitality and would have me driving to work between 3-4pm and home from work between 10pm and midnight. Of course, safety is a big factor. I don't need a luxurious, modern apartment, but I would like decent kitchen appliances and w/d connections. I'm a late 20s white female, if knowing that makes a difference in suggestions.

Thanks so much for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 11:38 AM

23,503 posts, read 44,177,623 times
First of all, your commute from Stone Mountain to Buckhead would be a nightmare; the only real direct path from one to the other is North Druid Hills Rd, and it is in complete gridlock at peak times.
If you're open to older (but well maintained) apartment properties, I would do a search on North Druid Hills (zip 30329). It's very convenient to Buckhead and there are some apartments there within your reach. It's become quite popular with twenty and thirtysomethings.
Here's a website for a management group that specializes in older properties in that area. Looks like the rents are within your reach.

KENCO Apartment Communities | Atlanta, GA Home Page

Just an addendum: Took a quick look at the website; the Dresden Forest and Redding Court properties (in 30319) are really convenient to Buckhead as well. Dresden Forest is within walking distance of one of the area's up and coming entertainment districts.

Last edited by Iconographer; 09-26-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-26-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
First of all, your commute from Stone Mountain to Buckhead would be a nightmare; the only real direct path from one to the other is North Druid Hills Rd, and it is in complete gridlock at peak times.
If you're open to older (but well maintained) apartment properties, I would do a search on North Druid Hills (zip 30329). It's very convenient to Buckhead and there are some apartments there within your reach. It's become quite popular with twenty and thirtysomethings.
Here's a website for a management group that specializes in older properties in that area. Looks like the rents are within your reach.

KENCO Apartment Communities | Atlanta, GA Home Page
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm open to older communities, in theory. I lived in a place with 30 year old appliances and wood-paneled walls for a year once and that is an experience I'd like not to repeat if at all possible. With that said, I know that my budget will call for some sacrifices. I should also rephrase my "working in Buckhead" comment to say that it's only an idea at this point. I'd like to serve/wait tables or bartend at an upscale/semi-fine dining establishment and my research has pointed me to Buckhead as a potential area to find that sort of restaurant. Other areas that fit that criteria would certainly be an option for me as well. I will say that if a miserable commute is the sacrifice I have to make to have a decent place with a relatively updated kitchen, I'll make it work somehow. If after six-months or a year, I am making the sort of money that I'm hoping, I'll consider a move inside the perimeter to lessen that awful commute. At this point though, I just need to get there and get settled.

Edit: I also looked through the mentioned rental group's website and unfortunately, the 2bed/2bath rentals are above my budget. Redding Court leases for $1250. That may be possible for me after a year, but since I'm not sure what kind of money I'll be making, I need to shoot for a lower budget.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm open to older communities, in theory. I lived in a place with 30 year old appliances and wood-paneled walls for a year once and that is an experience I'd like not to repeat if at all possible. With that said, I know that my budget will call for some sacrifices. I should also rephrase my "working in Buckhead" comment to say that it's only an idea at this point. I'd like to serve/wait tables or bartend at an upscale/semi-fine dining establishment and my research has pointed me to Buckhead as a potential area to find that sort of restaurant. Other areas that fit that criteria would certainly be an option for me as well. I will say that if a miserable commute is the sacrifice I have to make to have a decent place with a relatively updated kitchen, I'll make it work somehow. If after six-months or a year, I am making the sort of money that I'm hoping, I'll consider a move inside the perimeter to lessen that awful commute. At this point though, I just need to get there and get settled.
All that being said, I would NOT consider N. Hairston if I were you.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:19 PM

For crime? demographics? More specific reasons as to why I shouldn't be considering certain areas would be extremely helpful. Moving from out of state is a nightmare.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:20 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,793,420 times
So for this area that rent is very tight and low. So you are looking for budget complexes and all of them will likely have some problem or another.

Given what your saying I would look more towards the Northeast along Peacthree/Peacthree Industrial up towards Peachtree Corners Circle in Norcross (that is really where you will find the lower rents kicking in). The area will trend a bit more ethnic and Mexican depending on exactly where you go.

The advantage is you can search for a job in Buckhead, Perimeter Center (GA400 & I-285) and Brookhaven. These are all areas that will have higher end restaurants and bars and the commute will get heavy, but it won't be near as bad as from Stone Mountain, but I suspect you'd be working odd hours.... it is really proximity that is important.

Do follow Lovin's advice first, though. If you can find something in your budget in that area take it.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
So for this area that rent is very tight and low. So you are looking for budget complexes and all of them will likely have some problem or another.

Given what your saying I would look more towards the Northeast along Peacthree/Peacthree Industrial up towards Peachtree Corners Circle in Norcross (that is really where you will find the lower rents kicking in). The area will trend a bit more ethnic and Mexican depending on exactly where you go.

The advantage is you can search for a job in Buckhead, Perimeter Center (GA400 & I-285) and Brookhaven. These are all areas that will have higher end restaurants and bars and the commute will get heavy, but it won't be near as bad as from Stone Mountain, but I suspect you'd be working odd hours.... it is really proximity that is important.

Do follow Lovin's advice first, though. If you can find something in your budget in that area take it.
Very helpful actually, thank you! Norcross is actually an idea. I've spent some time there with my dance school/company and it seems like a really decent area. Thanks, I'll recenter my search there and forget about Stone Mtn for the time being. I REALLY think OTP is going to have to do for now. Maybe not forever, but I just am not looking to struggle, especially in the beginning. The restaurant industry offers no guarantees and I want to be smart about this. I'm experienced and prepared to hustle, but I want to be realistic. My mother will be joining me at some point, hence the need for a 2/2. If it WAS going to be just myself, I'd look for studios or small 1/1s in the city and call it a day. She's within a few years of aging into the 55+ communities where her SS will allow her to live comfortably alone near my grandmother in John's Creek. For now, we're in this move together. Not ideal, but my mom is a champ and I'm happy to help her out for a little while. She will be contributing some to the expenses, but most likely helping with the smaller bills - rent is going to fall to me for the most part. That may have been some unnecessary info, but there ya go.

I posted another thread in this forum asking about great, higher-end restaurants to work for, without much luck. If there are any in this forum, I'd love to hear some personal experiences from local servers as well as far as

Old 09-26-2016, 01:41 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,949,486 times
The north/northwest part of Norcross towards Peachtree Corners (or just actually in Peachtree Corners area) would be a good bet. You might be able to find something in Sandy Springs, especially towards the north though I've heard crime can be spotty in some of the apartment complexes.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:33 PM

Here's another question .. it doesn't HAVE to be an apartment. Is there a good place to look for rental houses? Little ones that are pet friendly?

Old 09-26-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
The north/northwest part of Norcross towards Peachtree Corners (or just actually in Peachtree Corners area) would be a good bet. You might be able to find something in Sandy Springs, especially towards the north though I've heard crime can be spotty in some of the apartment complexes.
True. Areas of Norcross can be pretty sketchy, but you've generally identified the better parts of the community. I'd be leery of a lot of the complexes in the Roswell Rd. and Copeland Rd. areas of Sandy Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta